Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, everyone
Have any of you guys heard about Real Design hubs? I'm looking forward to buy some from a guy in a Chilean forum and he's telling me that they are really good. Any experiences on them? How much did you pay for them? Any feedback is appreciated:cool:

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Real was a US brand component maker that started in the early 90s and closed its doors sometime after the bike world had settled on using the ISO 6 bolt disc pattern standard (probably about 5 years ago). They made hubs mainly, but also bottom brackets and brake levers. The parts come up on ebay a lot. I've got a few dozen of the BB's still and they're great units for what I paid for them on clearance.

Incidently, why didn't you just check the reviews ? That IS why this site mainly exists.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Hub/product_22062.shtml

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
I remember there being an issue with some of their hubs.

I don't remember which ones though. Real was making nifty stuff, went out of business, then I think got bought up and resurfaced, but not making much (if any) noise.

I don't know their current status.

The front hubs were OK, but like many other hub companies, they barfed on at least one attempt to make a good rear hub.

Take a look at the reviews here -> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Hub/product_22062.shtml

JmZ

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I had one. The freehub started to get tons of play in it; I machined the spacer down and that helped for a while but eventually the cassette lockring started rubbing on my dropout. I wouldn't recommend it.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
presslab said:
I had one. The freehub started to get tons of play in it; I machined the spacer down and that helped for a while but eventually the cassette lockring started rubbing on my dropout. I wouldn't recommend it.
They weren't designed right. The rear hub will fail in 2 - 6 months of regular use. No parts are available except the standad bearings.

I had one, and nursed it for a couple years with frequent freehub bearing realignments. Finally I fabricated a shim between the two right side bearings to stabilize the bearing alignment. The middle bearing had no purchase to keep it from moving out of the press fit.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Ditto here..

The front hub seemed pretty good, had no major issues with it for the few years I had it. (I obtained it because the previous owner had to buy a new wheelset to replace the rear hub, which stopped working).

Just get an XT unit (heavy but reliable) and be happy...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.