Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this bike seems like a great deal. Im ready to buy here within the next day or two but was wondering if i should be concerned with any specific components on the bike. namely, the cranks, wheels, and frame....i weigh 225, sometimes as much as 240. was hoping you guys could help me out here....thanks.

i really, really want the titanium frame with xo components, but just cant justify spending more than double on a bike especially since it is more of a secondary hobby for me.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im 6ft 230lbs and if they had that model in 17 inch, I'd have ordered it already. Since that's the case, I'll either get a windsor pro 29er or phantom elite (both seem to have better components, but coil front shock)

·
Trail Ninja
6,306 Posts
The Ti XO bike would creak and bend under your weight, I'd imagine. That's a superlight XC race bike and superlight race wheels.

That Fantom, on the other hand, should hold up much better. It's built to be strong rather than light, but still avoids being a pig. The tires are a bit wimpy, but fast. Those will probably be the first things to die.

I own the Ti 29er, so you can take my word for that, but I don't own the Fantom. I'm just going off of the reputation of the wheels and frame. I'm 135 and ride SoCal (mostly smooth) and manage to really push the limits of the Ti frame and have put both the front and rear stock wheels out of true--not recommended for riding hard through rough terrain and I'd be afraid of what happens under big guys.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, thanks guys....but im an idiot, i just assumed the 19 inch was in stock, and it's not. sucks.
im just a bit over 6 foot and was thinking the 19 inch would fit since i think thats what my old cdale rush was, but a poster above said he was six foot and needed the 17 incher. hmmm, i prob need to take a closer look at the geometry. any suggestions? thats prob more of a question for the moto section, but im already here and thought id ask. thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Varaxis said:
The Ti XO bike would creak and bend under your weight, I'd imagine. That's a superlight XC race bike and superlight race wheels.

That Fantom, on the other hand, should hold up much better. It's built to be strong rather than light, but still avoids being a pig. The tires are a bit wimpy, but fast. Those will probably be the first things to die.

I own the Ti 29er, so you can take my word for that, but I don't own the Fantom. I'm just going off of the reputation of the wheels and frame. I'm 135 and ride SoCal (mostly smooth) and manage to really push the limits of the Ti frame and have put both the front and rear stock wheels out of true--not recommended for riding hard through rough terrain and I'd be afraid of what happens under big guys.
Utter BS... just what MTBR is becoming famous for...:madman:

Truth is I'm 225 right now and have been beating to helll my Fly Ti for 6 months. Can't seem to bend it or make it creak! Holding up just fine.... No race wheel is going to stay true if you ride hard and it comes with lite race wheels! Will they buckle under your weight NO! you could pay 10x more for race wheels and they will not stay true under our weight. The Fly is a great bike and worth evey penny of the cost... ride the wheels or change them to something with a little more beef... but don't run away form the Moto Ti just because it has race wheels... lots of bikes come with race wheel....

I would say go-for-it and enjoy the ti ride:thumbsup:

·
Trail Ninja
6,306 Posts
Well, I am sort of a madman. I was gonna buy an AM bike to replace my 26er HT, but got the Ti 29er instead and rode that like an AM machine and kept upgrading it, but the frame ended up being the weakest link. I now have a Kona Dawg and Superfly 100 at my disposal and compared to those two, the Ti 29er HT is a wet noodle. I reckon even my 26 HT was more stout. I keep it around for riding on the road now, though I'm considering taking it out to a XC race on a course that's relatively smooth in Apr just because it has a really good pedaling feel due to being Ti.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.