Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just getting into the sport about a year ago, I have been ready to upgrade from my first bike for a few months now . (2001 Trek 4500) The only problem is…no matter what this thing will not DIE. I have traveled around southeastern and central Virginia riding a good amount of trails, some of which are pretty rough. The bike is completely stock with the exception of the bars / grips and she is still kicking. (Which gives me time to carefully choose my next bike)

With my budget hovering around $1000, I was looking towards the Giant Yukon FX. The only issue with that is I like the 2010 better that the 2012. If I get the 2012 Yukon, that is about $100 of the bat for new tires and possibly another few hundred later for a better fork. Any other bike suggestions at $1000 or under?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
OP, if your current bike has been holding up try to keep saving your cash. If you can put away qnother 100 to 200 bucks a month you should be able to get a much nicer bike. Especially if you will conaider a used bike. I wouldn't drop a grand on a new entry level FS when better bikes can be had for another $500.

Hell, you can get a Titus racer in carbon and a new fork and swap the rest of your parts over for just a bit more than your stated budget. Keep looking and researching before you make a decision.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I belive I will most likey save a bit more for a Santa Cruz Heckler. It looks like the perfect all around bike to me.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Good decision. It sucks to have to wait on buying a new bike once you have the bug. However, the last thing you want to have happen is buyers remorse only a short while after buying your new bike.

Plus, the best time to buy a new bike is at the end of the year when they are all on sale. I have also heard rumors that the APP bikes will be discontinued for next year. If so, great buys lie ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts