Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What gear are you running
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ridden the Reach 11 trail, and would like to go explore it some. Is it more suitable for a road bike (with skinny slicks), or the mountain bike? I guess what i am asking is it it paved or compacted gravel? Anything other than 90% paved and I would want to take the MTB. Also, if coming from the west side, where would be a good place to park (I need to work up to riding to it from the house).

Just looking for somewhere new (out of traffic) to get some good base miles in and do some interval training...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
man you're going to fly on that trail. It's all compacted dirt. Very smooth dirt. And flat terrain.

I would use a mountain bike, but a cyclocross or hybrid would be ok too. I personally would not use a road bike on it.

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for :)

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Dennis,
As everyone has said, R11 is really flat. However, it does make a nice way to connect various parts of the valley together. You can essentially connect PMP, SMP, Deems in a big loop and ride minimal streets.
I used to live at 64th street and Bell so R11 was less than a mile away. I'd go out there and do fast loops. The cool thing is that there's hardly anyone there and you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere(sorta).

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
i ride it usually on a CX bike. it connects to the R11 soccer complex so you can park there (Cave Creek TH?). You can also get there via the 51 path, or at Princess\Scottsdale rd.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Dennis,
As everyone has said, R11 is really flat. However, it does make a nice way to connect various parts of the valley together. You can essentially connect PMP, SMP, Deems in a big loop and ride minimal streets.
I used to live at 64th street and Bell so R11 was less than a mile away. I'd go out there and do fast loops. The cool thing is that there's hardly anyone there and you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere(sorta).
except at night it's kind of freaky, I am afraid I will get jumped by some crackheads or meth aficionados

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hey Dennis, I used to ride over there when I lived near 64th street and Bell. What everyone said above is accurate. Truthfully, I wouldn't waste my time to drive there and I would say hit the stuff closer to you... the area around pyramid peak is very similar. It can be as flat as you want it to be but there is also some fun stuff if you needed a break. There are also a few more places for shade also given that there is actually a mountain there. Also, for the interval stuff is you could always hit up dirt track that runs along the south side of the CAP. Flat for the most part but pretty much straight.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,440 Posts
I used Reach11 a lot....I found it worked best on a 29'r after a run to 4-Peaks Scottsdale back home to NoPho....so raw, so real.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Dennis- from your house, I would 'hood it over to T-Bird park, ride through, go over the hill on 59th, north to the light, north into Deem Hills hood, around the back the mountain and west towards 67th and Jomax, across into west wing and back around to your house. If you want more go across Lake Pleasant rd west and you can roll all the way to Vistancia with almost no major road riding and lots of little hill intervals along the way.

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dennis- from your house, I would 'hood it over to T-Bird park, ride through, go over the hill on 59th, north to the light, north into Deem Hills hood, around the back the mountain and west towards 67th and Jomax, across into west wing and back around to your house. If you want more go across Lake Pleasant rd west and you can roll all the way to Vistancia with almost no major road riding and lots of little hill intervals along the way.
Nice route :) I think I may just give that one a shot...

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
short cut

there is a trail that goes over the levee right off of cave creek road. The circle on the left is where to hop the fence and the oval on the right points out the trail. It eliminates the need to go all the way north to catch the trail.

Definitely cant use a road bike on this one...

Attachments

·
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is a trail that goes over the levee right off of cave creek road. The circle on the left is where to hop the fence and the oval on the right points out the trail. It eliminates the need to go all the way north to catch the trail.

Definitely cant use a road bike on this one...
Thanks! Great info...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts