Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma. I was treated and was in remission until 2 weeks ago. I guess what really sucks is that I'll loose another summer riding.Unfortunately Chemotherapy & Radiation takes a lot out off me and sometimes it can get a little depressing.
Last November I bought my dream bike. An "07" Specialized Stumpy FSR. Hopefully in August I'll be able to have the energy to ride again. I WILL RIDE AGAIN!
I really enjoy the pictures of different places bikers ride and threads on upgrading bikes.

·
Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
530 Posts
As someone with a strong will, who also spent a lot of years on the couch (for me it was mercury), I know that frustration well. In the meantime, I've learned there is a lot to be said for surrender (and by this I don't mean 'giving up' -- just accepting where you are at this moment).

Don't know if this qualifies but I read a study this year about cranberry and it's effect on cancer. No one in the study got any worse and most people saw a significant reduction in tumor size or complete remission. That, and the enzyme trypsin (Wobenzyme contains it and that stuff is fantastic). Massive reduction in tumor sizes when subjects supplement with that.

And keep your mineral levels up.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Dragoneyes - Positive vibes to you, you seem to have a great attitude, this is where its at... A number of family members have had reaccuring cancer, whilst have not experienced as you are, have been close to it.... The number one thing I saw that helped was the amazing attitude to life my family members have had....

You will ride again for sure, focus on it and it will be there...

All the best, heal up strong.......

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Dragoneyes, hang in there and keep a positive attitude. You have gotten through this before and will do it again.

I look forward to seeing you post some pictures in the fall showing you back healthy and riding again. Plan a special vacation to reward yourself with some nice riding.

·
don't thread on me
429 Posts
Dragoneyes said:
4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma. I was treated and was in remission until 2 weeks ago. I guess what really sucks is that I'll loose another summer riding.Unfortunately Chemotherapy & Radiation takes a lot out off me and sometimes it can get a little depressing.
Last November I bought my dream bike. An "07" Specialized Stumpy FSR. Hopefully in August I'll be able to have the energy to ride again. I WILL RIDE AGAIN!
I really enjoy the pictures of different places bikers ride and threads on upgrading bikes.
Hang in there Dragoneyes. I have been fighting Leukemia since 2005 and have been through the Chemo monster as well. I know its hard, because I can still remember mornings when I just wanted to throw in the towel and quit fighting because I felt so terrible.

A couple of weeks after I completed chemo, I could only manage to walk to the mailbox and back with a cane. My wife suggested we try a short bike ride, and it's been all up hill since then. It was amazing how getting back on my bike helped me recover physically and mentally. It was way easier than walking, and according to my doctor, accelerated the recovery of my bone marrow and cell production. Every time I get on my bike, I thank God I can still ride, and I remind my cancer that I kicked it's ass. :D

My wife and I both got new bikes in May, and we set our summer 2008 riding goal at a minimum 750 miles. I'm at 206 miles so far. Friday we rode at Blankets Creek in Woodstock, and I managed to complete Mosquito Flats and Dwelling Loop trails without stopping, which is a first for me.

I don't mean to talk so much about me, I just wanted you to know that there is light at the end of that tunnel. Keep your head focused on the end game, and get back on that bike as soon as you can. Even a tiny ride will work wonders.

I believe that prayer helps, so I will be saying an MTB prayer for you. And remember my favorite quote, "I may have cancer, but it doesn't have me!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.