Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Penis Goat!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been wanting to try wheelbuilding for a while now, but haven't had any extra parts lying around...until now. To make a long story short, a guy rear-ended me, bending my rear wheel, so I'm getting a new wheelset. The bent wheel was from a Deore disc/Rhyno Lite set (I'm running front disc/rear v), but to save weight (almost a pound!) I'm ordering the Deore disc/Sun DS-1 combo from Jenson for the same price.

Of course, this requires me to build a new rear wheel. I'm temporarily using the original rear wheel, but will soon be ordering a Sun UFO rim so I can lace it to the new rear hub from the DS-1 set. I'd like to then take the unused DS-1 rim and lace it to the old front hub, and the old front rim will be built up with the old rear hub.

What I'm wondering is, will I be able to re-use the spokes and nipples from the bent rear wheel, or might they be ruined? Plus, I'd like to re-use the spokes from the old front wheel (which is in fine shape) when rebuilding it with the DS-1 rim (the ERD's are almost identical), would that be ok?

Also, the UFO rim has a different ERD (538 vs 544) than the Rhyno Lite, which results in 3mm different spoke lengths. If I can even re-use the spokes, would they fit?

Thanks for any help, and wish me luck in my wheel building adventures.

Brian

·
Penis Goat!
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heatstroke said:
spokes wont fit, tis 6 mm different.
You can normally get away with 1-2mm, not 6
Otherwise you can reuse undamaged newish spokes, alloy nipples maybe not.
Six mm? I got three mm, using the Excel spreadsheet Spocalc. Or, just divide the total ERD difference by two.

The nipples are brass, and none have been rounded off, so they should be ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.