Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to re-stick some decals that have partly come away from a titanium frame, but I haven't yet found a transparent glue that works on flimsy vinyl or whatever these stickers are. Super glue just doesn't do anything. The stickers are irreplaceable, so I'm just trying to make the best job that I can of repairing them. Does anybody know what kind of glue is best to use?

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Resticking probably isn't going to work. You might consider getting a sheet of sticky clear sheet, cutting it bigger then the originals and using it to stick them to the frame. Maybe do a full tube wrap over the old stickies. I've seen super sticky clear used to lift wine labels that might work well.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I was thinking of clear waterproof tape as a last resort, but any number of makes stick decals to shiny metal from Mavic to Shimano and in my case Litespeed, so what do they do it with?

I must say I hadn't thought of using clear varnish as a glue, I might try that. But will varnish stick to polished titanium?

And are you telling me that varnish might melt decals RichieB?

:???:

·
Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
294 Posts
"I must say I hadn't thought of using clear varnish as a glue, I might try that. But will varnish stick to polished titanium?

And are you telling me that varnish might melt decals RichieB?"

I've shellac'ed quite a few things on set and have never ran into any problems. But these are props and not someone's prized posession. I have some leftover (decals) and metal tubing. I'll do a quick test and see how they turn out.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
clear double-sided tape and a good exacto.

Trace the outline of the decal onto the DS tape,cut out shape (leave a little extra), partially remove backing at the 'deepest' area (not all of it or it will be a nightmare to position).
Once in the right position, burnish deep section to secure, lay decal over DS tape, cut/trace out the contour of the decal, remove the rest of backing/s and burnish out.
Done! ;)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I've had good luck with 3m Super Trim Adhesive 08090

You have to let it tack up before application, nice thin, even coat with a brush, make sure you have something to put pressure on it 'till it dries and you have to be careful it doesn't seep off the edges.

you'll also want to do some test runs with some similar stickers if you can.

once its on, your committed : )
practice makes perfect and your mileage will vary depending on type of sticker

good luck.......

·
Klunker Kev`
225 Posts
I think I`d use clear acrylic varnish. That won`t dissolve the decals, and can be smoothed down and the excess pressed out and wiped off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.