Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed up to complete the Centennial in a 'fast n furious' fashion this weekend and I noticed on another thread that there have been some re-routes...Can anyone provide more info?

When I rode the northern half last year, I was happily surprised to see the re-route climbing out of Elk Ck towards Dalton (especially since it was well over 100F when I was there last July). Are there any others?

G

·
There are some new sections south of Deer Creek trailhead to Pactola that are are pretty sweet, if you haven't been on that section yet. Couple years old, but WAY better than before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm back from riding the Centennial and what a difference a year makes! Last trip it was hot as hell and this trip it was wet and green. All the rain this spring sure did change a lot of the trail by washing it out or making it overgrown.

The grass outside of Bear Butte Lake was nearly to my handlebars!
The new culvert under I-90 at Alkali showed serious signs of erosion due to flash flooding. It was difficult to get into it because the downstream side was so eroded.
The re-route down to Elk Ck caught me off guard as I was prepared for that steep loose drop to the creek that is replaced by a mellower route to the west slightly. Elk Ck was ROARING! Knee/thigh deep through ALL the crossings. The creek was swift enough that I really had to watch my footing so I didn't go down. Lots of downed timber around the Wonderland Cave area. And the re-route after the climb out of Elk Creek down to Dalton was a hoot...I'd never done that section before...Was that part of the race a few weeks ago? What a great new edition (I always disliked that bumpy road).

The section between Dalton and Pilot Knob was beat to SH*T by ATVs...Mud bog after mud bog after mud bog. Disgusting.
Pilot to Rapid Ck was as awesome as it has been in the past despite the signs of moto poaching. Then it was back to almost no signs of trail use to Samelius. The climb up to Big Pine was rougher than I've ever seen it...I think I hiked more than I rode on that climb.

The southern section looked more hammered by the rain too. The pass into French Ck was mostly a walk both up and down and then the French Creek area showed signs of overuse by horses...It was hard to pick a clean line through all the divets. The rest of the southern sections were uneventful except for the golf ball size hailstorm followed by a flashflood (turning the trail into a creek) and of course the buffalo that like to stand on the trail.

I'm already looking forward to the next time I get to ride it! The Centennial has so much diversity in both landscape and riding that it never gets old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.