Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: MTBR FS 29 pro reviews - Any chance a sultan will be added to the lists.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Sultan was going to tested and/or appended to the MTBR 29 FS pro reviews.

Just wishful thinking.

Another wish: FOX to make 100 mm travel 29er fork with 20 mm thru axle.

Thanks

Kforum
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
kforum said:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Sultan was going to tested and/or appended to the MTBR 29 FS pro reviews.

Just wishful thinking.

Another wish: FOX to make 100 mm travel 29er fork with 20 mm thru axle.

Thanks

Kforum
Do you really need those weenies to tell you the Sultan rawks?

My wish is for Zocchi to make a 100mm-130mm adjustable 29'r AMSL with the 20mm axle. That would be sweet on a Sultan:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
Sultan

We have Sultans in the polish and ano process right now, so that is a little late for the test!
I really don't think it is fair to re-convene the testers to add another bike.

I will be ready for 2008 though!
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
SSINGA said:
My wish is for Zocchi to make a 100mm-130mm adjustable 29'r AMSL with the 20mm axle. That would be sweet on a Sultan:thumbsup:
Or a RS :) I'm waiting to hear from a buddy that rides regularly with a RS engineer here in the Springs, I asked if they are planning on a 29er version of the Revelation, 20mm axle would be nice too I agree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
I am sorry

to inform you all, but after extensive conversations with all 5 fork makers I learned that all of them are very resistant about sinking a ton of money into new tooling for All Mountain 29forks. Unless some un expected (to whom I was speaking) decisions come ripping through corporate offices that an all mountain fork has to be created, what you see is what you get ie, XC forks. Now I am NOT saying there won't be another fork or 2 on the market for 2008, but being on the market and being available to Turner bikes and the aftermarket are not the same, and none I have heard about are any more than 120mm with QR stuff, so XC it is. Has anyone heard something I haven't? I am itching to make a 29'r with Spot suspension. But the only fork that is close would be one brand, the White Bros 130, and you gotta love their heart in stepping up.

DT
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
turnerbikes said:
to inform you all, but after extensive conversations with all 5 fork makers I learned that all of them are very resistant about sinking a ton of money into new tooling for All Mountain 29forks. Unless some un expected (to whom I was speaking) decisions come ripping through corporate offices that an all mountain fork has to be created, what you see is what you get ie, XC forks. Now I am NOT saying there won't be another fork or 2 on the market for 2008, but being on the market and being available to Turner bikes and the aftermarket are not the same, and none I have heard about are any more than 120mm with QR stuff, so XC it is. Has anyone heard something I haven't? I am itching to make a 29'r with Spot suspension. But the only fork that is close would be one brand, the White Bros 130, and you gotta love their heart in stepping up.

DT
Is the WB fork any good? It's ugly but does it work? You need to make the 5" frame and have it come with the WB fork if it is a quality product. Maybe talk PUSH into designing a mod for it:skep:

What Manitou is that Intense 5.5 29'r (5.75" travel) pictured with - surely not a 100mm fork??
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2576532&postcount=1
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
That HA looks steep, as in not right steep. The Mav 29er fork sounds nice if you have the coin, the website doesn't have the travel info on it though, is it the same as the regular version?

OT- I thought pecusick worked for Ells?
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
I wish they had some at the shootout, could have had a chance to ride one!

Slowly narrowing down my choices for a FS 29er and badly want a Turner. Does Competitive Cyclist do demos of the Sultan? Anyplace in So Cal or Nor Cal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
rroeder said:
The Mav 29er fork sounds nice if you have the coin, the website doesn't have the travel info on it though, is it the same as the regular version?
No, the travel is simply reduced with spacers, by about 30mm I believe, so you're left with a ~4.5" fork. That's still a lot for a 29"er, but not enough of an increase over a Reba to justify a proprietary hub & stem in my opinion.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a chance to demo White Brother's latest 130mm fork (open bath, coil w/ air assist) later this week. Should be interesting, especially since my RFX frame should be arriving this week too. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,483 Posts
Nope, it has a travel limiter installed which limits the travel by approx 35mm.

rroeder said:
That HA looks steep, as in not right steep. The Mav 29er fork sounds nice if you have the coin, the website doesn't have the travel info on it though, is it the same as the regular version?

OT- I thought pecusick worked for Ells?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
rroeder said:
Or a RS :) I'm waiting to hear from a buddy that rides regularly with a RS engineer here in the Springs, I asked if they are planning on a 29er version of the Revelation, 20mm axle would be nice too I agree.
Cause a duc at 112mm would just suck right and if you say its too exp. i don't believe it cause your putting it on a (2k)sultan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
rroeder said:
That HA looks steep, as in not right steep. The Mav 29er fork sounds nice if you have the coin, the website doesn't have the travel info on it though, is it the same as the regular version?

OT- I thought pecusick worked for Ells?
112mm
 

·
long standing member
Joined
·
3,099 Posts
SSINGA said:
What Manitou is that Intense 5.5 29'r (5.75" travel) pictured with - surely not a 100mm fork??
Looks like a 120mm.

mr intense said:
...Current fork is new Manitou @ 120mm and am building wheel for 130 WB...
A 5 Spot-ish 29er sounds awesome. A Reba (or similar) on the front end would be totally inadequate for me, though. Fork would definitely need to be a thru-axle, preferably with thicker than 32 mm stanchions. The Mav is probably stiff enough, but...

How about a Lefty, haven't they been modified to work with 29ers? Aw, nevermind I just read that the travel is reduced to 80mm on their 29er.

There sure are a lot of 29er guys that think that the big wheel is the future of mountain biking. I'm not saying they're right, but with all the 29er models out there now it would seem that more fork makers would be interested in going that way. Does the fact that they (the fork makers) don't see a viable market with 29er forks (particularly AM forks) say something about the 29er market in general?
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
PCinSC said:
Looks like a 120mm.

How about a Lefty, haven't they been modified to work with 29ers? Aw, nevermind I just read that the travel is reduced to 80mm on their 29er.
PC
You need to go back and search some more. I know I have seen a Lefty Max conversion that still had more than 100mm of travel - but still its not going to be suitable for a 29rSpot. NOW if you could get ahold of a Lefty with 150mm+ travel and reduce it down to match that would be awesome IMO. Kinda like a big Term-mobile. I'll take one in Orange please.. :D
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
miles e said:
No, the travel is simply reduced with spacers, by about 30mm I believe, so you're left with a ~4.5" fork. That's still a lot for a 29"er, but not enough of an increase over a Reba to justify a proprietary hub & stem in my opinion.

As mentioned elsewhere I have a chance to demo White Brother's latest 130mm fork (open bath, coil w/ air assist) later this week. Should be interesting, especially since my RFX frame should be arriving this week too. :eek:
Whats the A2C diff between the Reba and the WB? I'm in the market for a Sultan later this year, or at least lusting after one, but this fork dilema is a turn off, maybe I should ride my Burner another year till a suitable fork comes out, I have a Revelation on the Burner and really like the adjustability for our terrain. I guess I would go with a 100mm over a 130 like the WB cause I want to use the bike as an XC machine, but 120-130mm travel would be nice at the top of a 3000ft descent.

Are you getting an '07 RFX?
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,245 Posts
turnerbikes said:
to inform you all, but after extensive conversations with all 5 fork makers I learned that all of them are very resistant about sinking a ton of money into new tooling for All Mountain 29forks. Unless some un expected (to whom I was speaking) decisions come ripping through corporate offices that an all mountain fork has to be created, what you see is what you get ie, XC forks. Now I am NOT saying there won't be another fork or 2 on the market for 2008, but being on the market and being available to Turner bikes and the aftermarket are not the same, and none I have heard about are any more than 120mm with QR stuff, so XC it is. Has anyone heard something I haven't? I am itching to make a 29'r with Spot suspension. But the only fork that is close would be one brand, the White Bros 130, and you gotta love their heart in stepping up.

DT
The new WB 130 is a really solid effort. I've written enough about it that folks probably don't wanna hear any more outta me. So I'll leave that to Miles, among others. But I will also mention that WB is already working on something longer travel with a bigger (larger stanchions, crown, etc...) single crown chassis. Think Lyrik or 36. I was told that they expect to have them ready by Interbike '07.

If you still don't swing that way you can have your favorite local machinist make a drop crown for the Lefty so that you can run it at 140mm. I rode mine at ~120mm and thought it was a bit noodly so I left well enough alone there. But if you're lighter than I it could work.

Or someone (Dave?!) could adopt Devin Lenz' Mondo hub idea and crank out a few hundred so that people can simply use their Pike's, Lyrik's, 36's, etc... I approached two hub manufacturers/machinists at Interbike about it, and both were interested. Ultimately, they both decided their plates were too full to take it on.

Lots of options, just none as simple as running down to your LBS and handing over the $$$.

MC
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top