Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: lubricating spoke threads/nipples

This may seem like a dumb question.. but here goes:

I have heard it recommended to lubricate the threads on the spokes, as well as the nipples themselves. Either before truing, or every month.
<O:p
Is this something that I can do without removing the tire and tube? Do I just drip some triflow in there?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Bloodfist said:
This may seem like a dumb question.. but here goes:

I have heard it recommended to lubricate the threads on the spokes, as well as the nipples themselves. Either before truing, or every month.
<O:p
Is this something that I can do without removing the tire and tube? Do I just drip some triflow in there?
Clean and lube before major truing or re-tensioning. (Small touchups can be done without lubing unless you get a reluctant nipple (binding))

I use a drop or two of a good grade light synthetic oil (5-10w) and I normally remove the tire before a major true or re-tension because you need to verify roundness. However unless you really used a lot of oil I can't see how leaving the tire on there would hurt (except for roundness check)

I wouldn not lube them as a part of maintenance though, just when turning nipples.

·
This place needs an enema
16,947 Posts
If you only have a few nips to twist, you probably don't need to lube anything (assuming they were built properly in the first place). If your wheels are in bad shape, remove the tire and tube, put a drop of light oil (tri flow is fine) on each spoke where it enters the nipple, and a drop on each nip where it exits the rim. Spin it a few times (fast) to get the lube 'up in there', then true/tension as needed.

MC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.