Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Classified ads

What is the protocol for discussing bikes that a mostly newbie might be interested in? Didn't know if asking about specific bikes listed on this site (classifieds) is bad form, or acceptable... A couple bikes I have never ridden and don't know much about except for what I have read on the internet (which of course can be very good, or possibly not so good information). Thanks.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
Budget, style of riding, level of fitness would help. Most important use the search function, if you are a newbie looking for the first bike, there are ton of threads discussing that. Just have to sift through the info.

Dunno about asking specific question on a listing ads on this site. I'd ask the owner to give you a brief comment about the bike and why they sell it and then do your home work from there. Use your judgment to determine fact from bias.

Most of the time, beginner tend to get start with hardtail because of budget, and it's easier to make a decision just have to determine size, material, weight, components, and brand. When it comes to full suspension there are more questions to be answer before you can make the right choice.

Fortunately, the sport is mature enough that if you pick among the top brands you'd hardly be disappointed.

good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't heard anything good or bad so.....

Looking for a dual suspension bike, can only have 1, mostly do XC riding (80% of use), but do like to hit the ski mountains (20% of use) occasionally (Winter Park, want to check out Sol Vista as well). Used to ride pretty hard, but now at 38 I take things a little more easy than I used to. 5'8" with a stocky muscular / athletic build (190 lbs).

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php/product/52118/cat/3/page/
Looks like a nice bike, but doubt I can get it for within my price range (was $1000, now going to try to stretch to $1500....). Don't know much about these bikes.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=51390&cat=3
Never rode or had a Gary Fisher, but have read some good things about them.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=52003&cat=3
I know these are very popular, but never ridden one, and only know what I have read about them. 2002 frame, with mostly 07-08 parts.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=52129&cat=3
Not sure I can get this in my price range either, but it looks and sounds nice..

Also looking at some Stumpjumper FSRs, Giant Reigns and Trances, Trek Fuels, and possibly a new Fezzari.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You must have posted as I was typing mine :p I started mountain biking 19 ish years ago when I started college and LOVED it, but I did take a hiatus from much riding after grad school... So I am getting back into it this year. I used to be ok, could get down any run at Winter Park back in the day, liked to go fast and do a little jumping, but I don't go as fast as I used to :p I also can't / don't do crazy drops like I have seen others do.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
It's a bit across the board in terms of price and travel of the bike.

You have 2 long travel AM bike and 2 short travel XC bike. And also mentioned 4 others good choices. If they fit you you'd probably like anyone of them.

If you ride rougher terrain go with the longer travel like the RFX, Reign (X), or the Remedy. If you want to enjoy more climb and lighter bikes try Fuel, trance, fisher, and definitely Yeti ASR at 23# it's light for the money.

At 5'8" you can fit most medium, just check stand over. You can also fit small. I'm 5'7" I fit and own both small and medium Ibis Mojo. I like them both in a different way. Smaller bikes feels better to me than a larger one. I suggest if you can try different size and determine from there.

Longer travel is more comfortable and can erase more users' errors than shorter ones, but it heavier and feel more sluggish up the climb. If you have the fitness for it why not. Most riders I know choose the longest travel AM bike as their go-to bike. It's more fun.

Something in your price range would be (these are mixed bag of travels from 4-6" but I've seen it in classified from time to time)
Trance X
Pitch
Reign
Motolite
Superlite
Heckler
Rush
Prophet
There are many more but these would probably take enough research time already.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the thing, I like to ride anything near me that is fun! So even though I mostly do XC type riding, I do like to do some all mountain type riding (ski slopes are fun!).

I will say I rode a 2007 RM Slayer with decent components and didn't really like that bike (too heavy, and the shocks were too soft- the guy was 40lbs lighter than me). I'm sure it would have felt better with the proper suspension set up.

Ideally a good AM bike that can climb like a XC would be best ;) A good strong / reliable XC bike would work too, 4" of suspension should be just fine if I have it set up properly. So many bikes, so little money! hehe otherwise I would have a LOT more bikes and more need for storage space!

You have a few names on there I do not recognize, I guess I will have to do more searching :) Thank you for the information!

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
IMO, sport's sweet spot now is at 5-5.5". Most companies offer this competitive range. I have a few 4" bikes and few 5-5.5" bikes and 6+bikes, longer travel can do most shorter one can but not the other way around.

There are many long travel bike that can climb like XC bike, it's just not in your price range(yet). My go to bike is the Maverick ML8(27.5lbs), with 6.5" of travel and can out climb any xc bike I own. Ibis mojo is definitely the one I ride most. It's just a fun bike, great geometry.

If you can find one I recommend Gary fisher Roscoe, That bike is a hoot to ride, lots of tech. If I don't already own a few bike in that travel range (5.5") I'd get one. Another one worth looking in to is the Maverick Durance or Matic, or even ML8. Not everyone like them but one that does usually own more than one Maverick. You can find one in your price range from time to time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmmm this one isn't too far from me, a size small.
http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1847830024.html

Ibis is definitely not in my price range, otherwise I would be looking at them from what everyone has said about them ;) Good point, a good climbing AM bike does sound like what would work the best.... So no nice XC rig can handle even a little downhill fun? There are obviously more fast jumps / drops than there used to be, but my HT Stumpjumper survived all kinds of riding when I was in college :)

I need to find a nice used Trance, those have around 5" of travel IIRC.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
I agree, good price for a complete ML8. Small Maverick would definitely fit you, it would not hurt to try it out. You may like it. Just have to get used to the slack seat angle. get an adj seatpost and you are ready to rock.

XC bike can do most stuffs but not as comfortable as longer travel bike. You'd definitely feel the bottom of the travel. I've done just as crazy descend on my singlespeed Moots YBB but I would not do it everyday. Every once in a while it's refreshing. Plusher suspension that can climb trumps XC for me. I'm pushing 40 and not looking forward to punishing my body all the time.

Trance X is a good choice for sure, spot on geometry, good suspension design. Not the lightest but good value for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts