Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking on ordering an 07 Blizzard frame and (first time!) building up my dream bike. One question: does anyone know what axle-crown length was/is used to determine frame angles this year? RM specs the 18" (perfect for me re. t/t and standover) at 73.5/71: just wondering if this assumes 80ish or 100ish travel?? Thanks all for any thoughts. Cheers.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Could be that they are designed around a 100 but handle better on a 80? The Rocky Mountain dealer through I bought my 2006 17,5 Blizzard told me to run a 80 mm...Don´t know:confused:

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It certainly handles faster with the 80mm fork, as it does steepen the head angle back to 71 degrees from 70.5. Prior to 2005 they were setup like the Vertex race bikes with 80-85mm forks. Putting an 80mm fork on it should lower the BB by about 6mm and improve standover by about 6mm.

In comparing 2003, 2004 and 2005 geometry it appears that they altered the frame geometry to accommodate the extra 20mm of A-C height in 2005. The head angle slackened by 1/2 degree but the BB drop and the front centre dimension stayed the same, which shouldn't have been the case if they just stuck a 100mm fork on a frame designed for 80mm. Of course all that assumes that there were no errors in the online geometry info. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both for the replies; yes, it's hard to figure from the info. as given. My best guess is that the 73.5/71 assumes 100mm travel: that seems to be the new xc standard, and all RM 07 hardtails show these angles w/ 100 mm forks. Presumably sagged, but who knows? Think I'll fire off an enquiry to RM itsownself and see if I get a response! I do wish mfgs. would specify these things in notes, but oh well! Thanks again.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Iggy, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be. The 2005 was sold as complete bike, and hammer has same geometry. Just look at the AC for the forks Rocky spec's on those bikes and you get a clear view as to what they had in mind when they designed the frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
islander said:
Iggy, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be. The 2005 was sold as complete bike, and hammer has same geometry. Just look at the AC for the forks Rocky spec's on those bikes and you get a clear view as to what they had in mind when they designed the frame.
I know, I know -- it's congenital;) -- I'm just one of those 'enquiring minds who wants/likes to know' these sorts of things! However, the reason I was asking is precisely because the 07 Blizz/Hammer frames are 'all new' as to sizing, inc. standover, t/t length etc. (as are the Vertex frames this year). Cheers!

·
Registered
847 Posts
iggy giant said:
I know, I know -- it's congenital;) -- I'm just one of those 'enquiring minds who wants/likes to know' these sorts of things! However, the reason I was asking is precisely because the 07 Blizz/Hammer frames are 'all new' as to sizing, inc. standover, t/t length etc. (as are the Vertex frames this year). Cheers!
The RMB staff spec'd a Marzocchi MX Pro (105mm) on to the 2007 Hammer (according to bikes.com), which has same geometry as 07 Blizzards. Does that help ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.