Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I fall... a lot
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found ANY information on Niners website about the BB? I have a shimano crankset and it doesnt fit. Neither my dealer, nor the closest other Niner dealer had any info. They were both in shock when the standard BB didnt fit and neither did the A9C bottom bracket. SO my question is, what exactly do you use? Is it just the Sram pfbb30 to BSA adapter or do you have to use the Wheels attachments along with it? Do I also need niners CYA cups? I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
PF30 to BSA adapter

The best option is the Sram PF30 to BSA adapter. You thread your BB cups into the adapter then press it into the frame. I use it on mine. There are other ways as well. I believe that Race Face is making a PF30 BB for use with a 24mm spindle crank like Shimano and Race Face use.

Enjoy!
Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sram DH crankset

I ordered a Jet 9 RDO (PF30 bb) and want to put the Sram DH crankset on and run a 1x10. I have asked some of the local bike mechanics and no one seems to be to sure what I need to make that work correctly. I have heard that the "problem solvers" adaptors will work, then I heard they won't work? Will this crank set work and if so what adaptors and bb will make it work? I guess press fit is not real common knowledge yet around here for mtb. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RDO bottom bracket

Dryside, I thought about that after the last time I read this thread but a mechanic at a local shop thought the XO DH crank would be stiffer so they ordered it for me. I can send it back but would like to make it work if possible. I was just looking on competative cyclist and it shows you can build an RDO with a XO DH crank and some adaptors. What would be the advantage of the HBC spiderless setup over the Sram XO DH crank?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There are two general approaches to using a non-bb30 crankset in a PF 30 bike.

You can use an adapter for the smaller spindle. Problem Solvers make a set that is pretty slick, the plastic adapters fit inside the large PF30 bearings and your smaller crank spindle slides through. The problem with this is the GIGAPIPE system. Sram GXP spindles are different from Shimano, Race Face and FSA and they don't work with the standard Problem Solvers kit.

The second way is to us an adapter for the bottom bracket shell. The threaded SRAM adapter is light and easy, you can thread a GIGAPIPE or other external bb unit into the adapter halves and press them into the frame. This system works equally well for any kind of crankset including Truvativ/Sram GXP.

I have used both adapters and they are both quite easy to set up and they work well, but if you want to use a SRAM crankset you will need to go with Option 2.

Jordan

·
Registered
8 Posts
RDO bottom bracket

Is the Wheels Manufacturing one different from the Problem Solvers one. When they ordered the Sram DH crank for me, they also ordered the problem solvers kit that looks like the same reducers as the wheels manufacturing one and then they also ordered another problem solvers gxp adaptor. So, I have a the Sram Pressfit 30 BB, and 2 different problem solvers. Should I take them back and get the wheels manufacturing adaptor? :madman:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Is the Wheels Manufacturing one different from the Problem Solvers one. When they ordered the Sram DH crank for me, they also ordered the problem solvers kit that looks like the same reducers as the wheels manufacturing one and then they also ordered another problem solvers gxp adaptor. So, I have a the Sram Pressfit 30 BB, and 2 different problem solvers. Should I take them back and get the wheels manufacturing adaptor?
Anything that is compatible with the GXP (sram) spindle is fine. I know Problem Solvers was working on a GXP version, maybe that's what you are getting.

But yeah, two sets will be more than you need. :) Might be good to keep them though just in case you switch to another crankset.

Jordan

·
lamer
293 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured it was better than making a new one about the same topic.

I want to re-use my Shimano Hollowtech II crank on the new RDO I'll be building, but I can't decide which option to go with:

1. PF30 BB + 24mm spindle adapters
2. PF30-to-BSA adapter
3. Race Face PFBB30 adapter

Since I've read about so many problems with PF30 BBs like creaking and rusting I'm a little scared to go with a PF30 + 24mm adatper like http://wheelsmfg.com/products/bottom-brackets-front-drivetrain/bb-adapters/pressfit-30-shims.html

The PF30-to-BSA adapter seems like a safe option. This will allow me to use my old Shimano BB that's still pretty new.

The Race Face PFBB30 adapter (http://raceface.com/components/bottom-brackets/bottom-brackets/pfbb30-x-type-adapter/) looks like an interesting compromise. The only problem is I can't find it for sale anywhere in the US.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.