Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some trouble with the RD on my Vagrant. Have a lot of noise from the back that I thought was chainslap, but I got a Stinger and wrapped the chainstay. It didn't help at all. Looked at the RD and it has been rubbing and hitting the frame on every bump. Going downhill over rooty sections makes the most unholy racket ever. I have circled the problem area in the photo.

It is so bad that I have trouble shifting into the smallest cog as the frame blocks the RD from moving over there easily. I don't remember this being a problem when I first installed the RD, so maybe I shortened the chain too much? Would too tight a chain cause this?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
Tighten your b-tension screw, then zip tie on a piece of old tube around the frame in the offending area. That should do it.
What he said. It's the little screw on the back half of it that butts up against the frames hanger. Thread that in more. Ought to fix things.

More chain will just let things slap around more.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scrublover said:
What he said. It's the little screw on the back half of it that butts up against the frames hanger. Thread that in more. Ought to fix things.

More chain will just let things slap around more.
B-tension screw is bottomed out. Get a longer screw?

I can't put a piece of tube in the spot yet because the RD drags across the frame in the 3 smallest cogs. Rubber there would be too grippy and not allow the RD to slide past.

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
so then tell me why shimano d's have a rubber pad on them to dampen that noise from them boucin around????? even my multiple xtr's did that.........

i mean ill give it to you that it looks a little outta tune on there...but its still goin to bounce around

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lax30 said:
so then tell me why shimano d's have a rubber pad on them to dampen that noise from them boucin around????? even my multiple xtr's did that.........

i mean ill give it to you that it looks a little outta tune on there...but its still goin to bounce around
Mine does have that rubber piece, but as the RD drags across the frame, it gets pushed out of the way.

Uploading new pics that will hopefully help.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
lax30 said:

I didn't say it wouldn't work, my point is that switching to Sram for that reason is like buying a new car because yours ran out of gas.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tension screw all the way in.

Little rubber bumper guy. This is in the smallest cog. RD has moved far enough outward that there is no longer contact (until I hit a bump).

4th from the smallest cog. They are touching. Being in 5th, 4th, 3rd smallest cogs causes direct contact. If you look closely, you can see the dark marks on the frame just behind the weld for the rear dropout. This is where the RD drags against the frame as I shift in the smaller cogs.

This is the second or 3rd smallest cog. That pointed part of the RD is just starting to touch. Go to the next larger cog, and it will run right into the frame.

EDIT - This model RD is advertised as having a wider pivot point for more rigidity. Could it possibly be too wide to work with this frame?

·
KoNa KiD
325 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
I didn't say it wouldn't work, my point is that switching to Sram for that reason is like buying a new car because yours ran out of gas.
i didnt say it wouldnt work either BUT shimano is always goin to hit........

whats the cassete your running......maybe try a larger one?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
hmmm. either get yourself a longer screw for the b-tension, live with the clunking noise, or try a different sram or shimano mech.

a new screw is obviously the cheapest option to try first. any hardware place with a decent metric selection ought to have something that'll fit, if not a local shop.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
scrublover said:
hmmm. either get yourself a longer screw for the b-tension, live with the clunking noise, or try a different sram or shimano mech.

a new screw is obviously the cheapest option to try first. any hardware place with a decent metric selection ought to have something that'll fit, if not a local shop.
Yea, I think that I will give that a try first. Added an extra link tonight and that didn't help. Finding a new b-tension screw will be a cheap, easy fix if it works.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried the longer bolt this morning and it seems to be all good! I have only tested it in the stand so far, but it no longer rubs against the frame and it has enough tension on it that it doesn't bounce around all over the place either. The bolt needed to be 50% longer to work right. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.