Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
RC2 adjusts the Compression and Rebound damping.

RC3 adjusts the Compression in Lo and Hi compression and the separate rebound.

Honestly, I have no clue if it's the same thing renamed given that there's only one knob to adjust both compression ranges.

I hope Tom from Zoke can take a look and let us know the whole enchilada.

700 Posts
Warp said:
RC2 adjusts the Compression and Rebound damping.

888 RC3 adjusts the Compression in Lo and Hi compression and the separate rebound.

Honestly, I have no clue if it's the same thing renamed given that there's only one knob to adjust both compression ranges.

I hope Tom from Zoke can take a look and let us know the whole enchilada.
Well I can try to clear the air but I am afraid the marketing crew has made this a bit confusing. So here I go....I ADDED THAT THE BELOW DISCRIPTION IS FOR 888 forks not 66 forks. I will add that below.

888 RC 2005-06 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. easy. The compression was great for subtleness and brake dive too.

888 RC2X 2007 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. Then there was the X valve located on the bottom of the fork leg. It is a compression valve that effect the fork right from the beginning of the stroke, it is a speed sensitive compression. It was extremely firm if you used this setting.

888 RC3 2008 - Rebound is located on top of the fork. Now the compression for this is still the "X" valve but renamed "3", for all extensive purposes it's the third generation hence the 3 signification. The X / 3 valve is speed sensitive and effects the fork right from the beginning of the stroke. Using this compression for loose and fast terrain will make the fork non-subtle. If I was racing I would never use this compression feature I would adjust the oil hieght to get added progression at or near the end of the stroke. Also on that side of the fork is the large top knob. It is volume adjust. What the volume does is extensively raises the oil hieght of the fork with actually having to add oil. We also have external spring preload (top right) too.

Did that makes sense?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Marzocchi Tech Department said:
RC3 2008 - Rebound is located on top of the fork. Now the compression for this is still the "X" valve but renamed "3", for all extensive purposes it's the third generation hence the 3 signification. The X / 3 valve is speed sensitive and effects the fork right from the beginning of the stroke. Using this compression for loose and fast terrain will make the fork non-subtle. If I was racing I would never use this compression feature I would adjust the oil hieght to get added progression at or near the end of the stroke. Also on that side of the fork is the large top knob. It is volume adjust. What the volume does is extensively raises the oil hieght of the fork with actually having to add oil. We also have external spring preload (top right) too.

Did that makes sense?
Now that's explained like that, it makes perfect sense. Thanks, Tom!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I can try to clear the air but I am afraid the marketing crew has made this a bit confusing. So here I go....

RC 2005-06 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. easy. The compression was great for subtleness and brake dive too.

RC2X 2007 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. Then there was the X valve located on the bottom of the fork leg. It is a compression valve that effect the fork right from the beginning of the stroke, it is a speed sensitive compression. It was extremely firm if you used this setting.

RC3 2008 - Rebound is located on top of the fork. Now the compression for this is still the "X" valve but renamed "3", for all extensive purposes it's the third generation hence the 3 signification. The X / 3 valve is speed sensitive and effects the fork right from the beginning of the stroke. Using this compression for loose and fast terrain will make the fork non-subtle. If I was racing I would never use this compression feature I would adjust the oil hieght to get added progression at or near the end of the stroke. Also on that side of the fork is the large top knob. It is volume adjust. What the volume does is extensively raises the oil hieght of the fork with actually having to add oil. We also have external spring preload (top right) too.

Did that makes sense?
About the X valve, you mention that it is extremely firm for that setting. Do you mean that it is like an on/off switch? Or if I leave it off it's, let's say, 'normal' setting, but the more I open the valve I start to make it firmer until it's extra firm?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rzozaya1969 said:
About the X valve, you mention that it is extremely firm for that setting. Do you mean that it is like an on/off switch? Or if I leave it off it's, let's say, 'normal' setting, but the more I open the valve I start to make it firmer until it's extra firm?
Well, could it be like a compression/lockout feature?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Well I can try to clear the air but I am afraid the marketing crew has made this a bit confusing. So here I go....

RC 2005-06 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. easy. The compression was great for subtleness and brake dive too.

RC2X 2007 - Rebound and "position sensitive" compression, both located on top of the fork. Then there was the X valve located on the bottom of the fork leg. It is a compression valve that effect the fork right from the beginning of the stroke, it is a speed sensitive compression. It was extremely firm if you used this setting.

Did that makes sense?
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand why there is a 3 in RC3:D Would you mind explaining RCV? I'm kind of assuming it is more or less the way RC was, except the adjusters are on the bottom of the fork;)

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
WTF... RC2X are two cartridges, RC2 damper and the X (or end of stroke adjustment) cartridge. Also I believe RC2 damper is 2006 and 2007, not just 2007..

RC2 cartridge had rebound adjuster with air preload and at the bottom the low speed compression adjuster. Later on 2007 the VA (Volume Adjustment) was introduced to the 888 line.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
tacubaya said:
WTF... RC2X are two cartridges, RC2 damper and the X (or end of stroke adjustment) cartridge. Also I believe RC2 damper is 2006 and 2007, not just 2007..

RC2 cartridge had rebound adjuster with air preload and at the bottom the low speed compression adjuster. Later on 2007 the VA (Volume Adjustment) was introduced to the 888 line.
Yep, Tom's explanation confuses me too. I have a 07' 66RC2X. Top left leg has X cartridge adjust and an air preload valve. Right leg has rebound on top and compression on bottom. There is also another air preload valve on the top right leg.

RC2 was available in 07' cause the 66ATA has RC2 in the right leg.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
yea I am also a little lost.

07 coil forks had RC2X and the X cart was in the left leg with a spring around it, the ATA forks just got RC2 because the ATA cart was in the left leg. So that is why a think they somewhat combined and made RC3 so you only need one cart. I will say I have RC3 in my 888ATA WC and from full open to full close it is noticable but it is not like locked out like someone above was asking. My friends 07 888 ATA with RC2 should be on his bike soon so I will see how they compare to each other full open to full open vs. full close to full close. When taking mine apart I do think there was a visual difference vs. RC2 in his but it had been a while so not sure if I am just confused.

I think most will leave it open and only those that like non brake diving forks (SPV lovers) who are willing to put up with small bump sensitivity lose will use it.

700 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
It's not an on/off switch but it is speed sensitive. It's a spring loaded compression valve so as you increase damping you add more preload to the spring covering the valve. It end up having a ton of low speed compression damping.

700 Posts
C S said:
Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand why there is a 3 in RC3:D Would you mind explaining RCV? I'm kind of assuming it is more or less the way RC was, except the adjusters are on the bottom of the fork;)
RCV is a name change from the SSVF pumping rod system. It is not a cartridge system like the RC forks from 06-07.

RCV is a basic system, R. ebound and C. ompression V.alve.

700 Posts
tacubaya said:
The above was a discription for 888 forks. I added that above so hopefully this thread will read clean.

What you wrote is true for 66 FORKS....and in 2008 the name changed to RC-3, you lost the compression on top and gained mechanical spring preload as well as still having the air preload valve. I tell people to use the air preload as a burping valve.

As far as the "X" being end stroke, it was originally called the one hit wonder valve (and should have been called the X valve like originally planned). It is located on the bottom of the fork. Position compression/or end stroke was the one on top and had the name RC in 06, 07.

Then RC2X was meant to be discribed as Rebound and 2 compressions, one being the Xtreme valve or what was known as the one hit wonder valve for the big hucker free riders.

In 2007 the RC2 got an incorrect discription that has created this whole wrench in the fan situation.

This is why I said it was going to be confusing, the guy that wrote the discription was too busy riding motorcycles instead of understanding the technology he was discribing for all the catalogs and literature we produced and still display.

700 Posts
Jesse Hill said:
yea I am also a little lost.

07 coil forks had RC2X and the X cart was in the left leg with a spring around it, the ATA forks just got RC2 because the ATA cart was in the left leg. So that is why a think they somewhat combined and made RC3 so you only need one cart. I will say I have RC3 in my 888ATA WC and from full open to full close it is noticable but it is not like locked out like someone above was asking. My friends 07 888 ATA with RC2 should be on his bike soon so I will see how they compare to each other full open to full open vs. full close to full close. When taking mine apart I do think there was a visual difference vs. RC2 in his but it had been a while so not sure if I am just confused.

I think most will leave it open and only those that like non brake diving forks (SPV lovers) who are willing to put up with small bump sensitivity lose will use it.
See above for more confusion on the whole name game thing.

When you compare a lower compression valve in 07 to the 08 model is should be a dramatic difference in damping. 2008 it is actually usable for more than one big drop at a time.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
See above for more confusion on the whole name game thing.

When you compare a lower compression valve in 07 to the 08 model is should be a dramatic difference in damping. 2008 it is actually usable for more than one big drop at a time.
much clearer now at least I believe. So in my friends right leg RC2 (07 888 ATA) his compression is the one big hit wonder valve (to prevent bottoming) and in my 08 RC3 mine is more of a brake dive adjustment type of compression (yet it effects compression range the whole way through since you are loading the stack correct) and in effect some may use this adjustment even if not for just a one big hit?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.