Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I heard that RB Winter State Park suffered some Storm Damage? Has that been cleaned up? Can anyone provide a trail report? I am traveling to the area and will not waste my time if conditions are poor. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are talking about the storm damage from back at the end of May that was mostly confined to the area around the park headquarters and a few of the trails that are close to that. For example, West Boundary trail apparently had a lot of damage but that is for foot traffic only so it wouldn't affect a biker.

The biggest thing with this area is that it seems there are always a lot of small trees falling over the trails. Nothing that you can't get over or around just nuisance stuff.

About a month ago there was a tree blocking the top part of Yankee Run. I had to take Fallen timber out to Douty Mill which was very overgrown at the top part of it. Really clean below the Mid State trail.

I rode Old Tram trail last week and there was a tree that went down and the root ball actually lifted up a bridge so much that it's not rideable. Just gotta walk though the brush and creek to get by it.

Trails that are, or were, in good shape as of the past month:

Boiling Springs
McCall Mountain trail (one big tree down that is easy to crawl under)
Old Narrows
Railroad Run
Hough and Hall trails
Black Gap
White Deer Creek
Buffalo Flat
Round Knob
Spring Mountain between Sand Mt road and Round Knob trail

Trails that are not the best right now:

Duncan - Overgrown and very rough double track
Cowbell Hollow - East end has quite a few trees down on it that were too big for me to move by hand.
Top Mountain - Over grown and a constant rock garden. I only ride this when I feel masochistic.

There are some other trails that I haven't been on this year so I have no idea what shape they are in.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are talking about the storm damage from back at the end of May that was mostly confined to the area around the park headquarters and a few of the trails that are close to that. For example, West Boundary trail apparently had a lot of damage but that is for foot traffic only so it wouldn't affect a biker.

The biggest thing with this area is that it seems there are always a lot of small trees falling over the trails. Nothing that you can't get over or around just nuisance stuff.

About a month ago there was a tree blocking the top part of Yankee Run. I had to take Fallen timber out to Douty Mill which was very overgrown at the top part of it. Really clean below the Mid State trail.

I rode Old Tram trail last week and there was a tree that went down and the root ball actually lifted up a bridge so much that it's not rideable. Just gotta walk though the brush and creek to get by it.

Trails that are, or were, in good shape as of the past month:

Boiling Springs
McCall Mountain trail (one big tree down that is easy to crawl under)
Old Narrows
Railroad Run
Hough and Hall trails
Black Gap
White Deer Creek
Buffalo Flat
Round Knob
Spring Mountain between Sand Mt road and Round Knob trail

Trails that are not the best right now:

Duncan - Overgrown and very rough double track
Cowbell Hollow - East end has quite a few trees down on it that were too big for me to move by hand.
Top Mountain - Over grown and a constant rock garden. I only ride this when I feel masochistic.

There are some other trails that I haven't been on this year so I have no idea what shape they are in.

Hope that helps
This is really what I was looking for in terms of local knowledge. Awesome summary and intel!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the reply, will be out at Cowbell with my saw soon! at least I can help with one trail!
I really wanted to get up there to do some maintenance this year but haven't been able to do so yet. I was mostly going to try to clean up some of the over grown Laurel with the weed eater.

Do I really need to get permission from the DCNR before doing any cutting on the trails or can I just go out and clean up wherever it needs it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.