Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m up in NY and itching to ride my new bike. Are the trails i. decent shape? Any snow/ice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I live about a 1/2 hour drive away from Raystown. Snow remains from that early December dumping of 14". South side of slopes are clear, but north slopes/ravines remain covered with a few inches of crusty ice/snow. We had a few rain events as well (last night most recent) so ground is really saturated. If I had to speculate, trails are rideable if temps stay below freezing - expect to encounter icy/crusty/frozen soil conditions. Once mid day sun and afternoon temps get at or slightly above freezing, upper crust turns to peanut butter - don't ride.

Sorry, but can't recommend venturing down this way for a ride. Conditions just not that great, and too many variables at this time of year. Go find some paved paths is all I can recommend. Gravel roads down here are the same as the trails - varying conditions dependent on elevation/sun exposure/traffic, etc. I'm an avid biker, and haven't been out on the trails since late November. Just one of those off-seasons so far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live about a 1/2 hour drive away from Raystown. Snow remains from that early December dumping of 14". South side of slopes are clear, but north slopes/ravines remain covered with a few inches of crusty ice/snow. We had a few rain events as well (last night most recent) so ground is really saturated. If I had to speculate, trails are rideable if temps stay below freezing - expect to encounter icy/crusty/frozen soil conditions. Once mid day sun and afternoon temps get at or slightly above freezing, upper crust turns to peanut butter - don't ride.

Sorry, but can't recommend venturing down this way for a ride. Conditions just not that great, and too many variables at this time of year. Go find some paved paths is all I can recommend. Gravel roads down here are the same as the trails - varying conditions dependent on elevation/sun exposure/traffic, etc. I'm an avid biker, and haven't been out on the trails since late November. Just one of those off-seasons so far.
I found a YT video from someone who rode Sunday and I made the trip and the conditions were excellent for this time of year. It was in the 40s and there was no peanut butter anywhere. There were some crusty spots of frozen ground but otherwise it was an awesome day. Now, just north of there(towards State College) it was dramatically different and I wouldn’t have been wanting to ride Rothrock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts