Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the trip to central PA from NH over this past weekend. Biked Rothrock on Friday and Sunday (Shittaka, Deer Tick, Beautiful, Chicken Peter, and Sassafras trails). I found these trails to be a nice mix of terrain and reasonable amounts of climbing with more rocks as you gain elevation. The terrain is not as rocky and technical as I am used to in New Hampshire, but certainly more climbing.

Saturday we rode Raystown and did the outter loop on the north end of the lake and a few trails on the southern end of the lake. We loved the trails, but oh so different from Rothrock. Trail construction was very thoughtful. It never felt like we climbed because of the use of the terrain and the pump berms. Downhills were super fast with perfect flow.

I want to thank the guys at Eddies Bicycles in State College for the help with the route recommendations. We hit up Boxers Cafe in Huntingdon after our Raystown ride and had soem brews and grub. Very cool place. We had a blast and will definately make the visit to the area again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, my girlfriend and I visited both places last weekend as well. We biked Raystown on Saturday before heading over to Rothrock on Sunday. I love Raystown for its excellent flow, but Rothrock takes the cake for the sheer beauty of the forest and awesome use of the terrain. We rode the Cooper's Gap area, and we had a local rider give us an excellent tour of the finest trails. Rothrock definitely has some of the best riding in PA, if not the entire east coast.

This isn't to say that Raystown isn't worth the trip. In fact, if you want to experience Raystown in a unique way, try riding there at night (with lights, of course). It's a whole different type of trail system...just make sure you go when the moon is bright....it allows the critters to see you before you run into them.

A quick shout-out goes to Evan from Rothrock Outfitters, who saved my entire weekend. While on Ray's Revenge, my rear brake started to get really spongy, and it soon lost all stopping power completely. Although the front brake alone would be fine at Raystown, I knew that I'd need both for the technical terrain at Rothrock. Luckily, my girlfriend had her phone with her, so I called Rothrock Outfitters and spoke with Evan, who informed me that the store would be closing in an hour, making it highly unlikely that I'd be able to get my brake fixed in time. As fate would have it, Evan said that he'd be swinging by Raystown to check out the new connector trail, and that he'd be happy to bleed my brakes at the trailhead. True to his word, Evan showed up at the Dark Hollow trailhead with a bleed kit and provided me with some trail-side maintenance. I gave him a few dollars, a cold beer, and a homemade cookie for payment. Thanks Evan!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW, if you visit the area again the trails closer to State College (Tussey, John Wert, Upper Lonberger, Wildcat, Bald Knob, Charcoal Flats, Old laurel etc.) are wayyyyy rockier/harder than the coopers gap/(Shittaka, Deer Tick, Beautiful, Chicken Peter, and Sassafras trails) area trails.

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
Can you smoke in restaurants in PA? I didn't notice anyone smoking a Boxers when I was there so I figured it was like in NH with no smoking.
Google Search Says

"On June 13, 2008, Governor Ed Rendell signed the Clean Indoor Air Act. This Act prohibits smoking in most public areas and workplaces, protecting the majority of citizens in Pennsylvania from tobacco smoke. On September 10, 2008, the new law will take full effect everywhere in the state except for in the City of Philadelphia, which will be permitted to preserve its existing local smoking ban - the Clean Indoor Air Worker Protection Law. "

Pennsylvania Restaurant Association: Government Affairs - PA Smoking Ban FAQs

·
Registered
178 Posts
Can you smoke in restaurants in PA? I didn't notice anyone smoking a Boxers when I was there so I figured it was like in NH with no smoking.
And just an addition to bear's detail: in PA (as opposed to, say Vermont -- and I think California), it matters whether or not the establishment is a "restaurant" or a "bar". In VT, you can't smoke in either. In PA, you can't smoke in restaurants, but you can smoke in bars.

Part of the distinction comes from how much revenue is generated from food and alcohol sales, but I don't know the details. It may be more self-selection (I want my business to be a bar, for example) these days. Although, that also ends up affecting the sort of liquor license the place has. Holy crap! Gotta love blue laws.

So, my original question was sort of equivalent to "formally speaking, is Boxers' a restaurant or a bar". Ugh. And, who the hell knows what the paperwork says, anyway! And, in PA, some places are "dual zoned" -- so the restaurant part is non-smoking, and the bar is smoking. Of course, you still leave smelling like smoke if you are in the "restaurant"/non-smoking side.

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.