Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This year, while up in the 'Burgh visiting family, Wife and I made a side trip to Cleveland to visit the Christmas Story House and Rays Indoor Park.

We first visited the House. I'm sure that most of you have at least heard of the movie and I remember seeing it as a kid, so this was a must see tourist attraction while in the neighborhood. According to the tour guild, all the outdoor scenes and just a couple of the indoor/outdoor shots were done at the house. The rest was done on a sound stage. Guess I should've known that, but never really thought about it before. Anyhow, got to meet a couple of the cast members. The guy who delivered the "Major Award" and the lady who played the "evil elf" that led Ralphe up the stairs to meet Santa. "Come on kid!" The museum had a number of the original props, but they did not have the Bunny Suit! They were not able to obtain that one.

Here's some pics:

This was the guy who delivered the Major Award

Evil Elf lady :thumbsup:

Now for what you are waiting for. Rays. All I can say is that if you get the chance… GO! Great place! I wish we have something like that here in DC. These fellows did a great job. A little something for everyone. XC loop, BMX, "trails", a North Shore type setup w/ elevator and a beginner area. A lounge and parts area where you can get a spare chain, tire whatever like a regular LBS. Handy if you break something. They even have a free work station w/ tools so you can complete your repairs. Just be cool and don't steal the tools. You get tired of riding, take a break and watch the BMX'ers try and kill themselves!

BTW: Rays does have Bike rentals. Something like $10/day

An unassuming entrance. From the outside, you wouldn't even know the place is here.

https://i173.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/mtbklover/100_0429.flv

https://i173.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/mtbklover/100_0436.flv

https://i173.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/mtbklover/100_0441.flv

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,703 Posts
Hey...was just there yesterday with my wife and kid. We had a blast. It's really a fantastic facility and they don't even charge that much to get in (compared to a ski pass for example). There's something for everyone there too, which I think is a good move....it's not just a bunch of 15 year olds (not that there's anything wrong with that).

·
Registered
735 Posts
Holy crap, that's in Cleveland? I'm near Pittsburgh. I smell a road trip in the coming weeks. That facility is all kinds of awesome.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its a great place. I went there over Thanksgiving break and had a blast. I spent the holiday with some friends in the area and decided on sunday I needed to ride. The problem was I didn't bring a bike or any safety gear. Not a problem! All said and done I was riding on rented bike with helmet and pads for like less than $35 for the full day!

I met Ray while I was there and he was super nice and very passionate about what he does. My friends enjoyed hanging out (for WAY longer than I though they would, like 4 hours) playing some air hockey and talking to Ray.

If more places like this existed there would be FAR less kids in trouble.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cyrix said:
Holy crap, that's in Cleveland? I'm near Pittsburgh. I smell a road trip in the coming weeks. That facility is all kinds of awesome.
Yup! I read about it when they were building the place in Dirt Rag and then kinda forgot about it. Don't know what made me remember it earlier this year, but decided I was going this year. Then there were a couple posts about it and it was set.

It's about a 2 & 1/2 hr drive from the 'Burgh. I've got a base model Garmen Nuvi and it was already listed as an attraction in the POI files. Took me right to the industrial park!:thumbsup:

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Shoot. If I knew you were going to Cleveland, you could have stopped by the Great Lakes Brewery and picked me up a case of their Xmas brew. Good stuff.

FA-RA-RA-RA-RA, RA-RA-RA-RA!

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Nice write up! I met Ray and his crew this year at 7 Springs Resort in PA. He is a super nice dude! He invited us to his park, but we have not made the trip yet. This post just upped the antie.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jugdish said:
I guess I'd rather wait and ride outside. :confused:
Suit yourself. It was just nice not to have to pack a bunch of cold weather gear, not worry about trail conditions, cleaning the bike after the ride, blah,blah,blah. Just grab the bike, helmet, gloves and drive up there.

Davis: Next time I'm up there, I'll let ya know. Trade ya for some of that special "medicine". Better yet, if you can pull away from daddy duty for a day, we'll make another day trip up there.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
crashedandburned said:
Davis: Next time I'm up there, I'll let ya know. Trade ya for some of that special "medicine".
Speaking of....you should have been at this year's shuffle...HB got into the medicine jar. Apparently, he got more of a dose than anticipated. Overdose. Couldn't ride the next day. I felt bad, in a "I feel bad, but not too bad that I can't laugh at your puking a$$" sort of way. What a way to get drunk for the first (and I'm certain) last time in your life.

·
Registered
735 Posts
jugdish said:
I guess I'd rather wait and ride outside. :confused:
Riding is riding. If you'd really pass up a chance to ride something different.....I guess you don't enjoy riding as much as some of us then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.