Sweet.

Tell us more about the chainring/cassette combos on those two set-ups

Those look wicked good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My set-up!

I'm running ultegra 9 speed shifters with an 11-34 XT cassette, XTR rear der., and a 42 tooth Salsa chainring on dura-ace cranks. This set-up is working out pretty well here in SLC, UT.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
sammypants said:
I'm running ultegra 9 speed shifters with an 11-34 XT cassette, XTR rear der., and a 42 tooth Salsa chainring on dura-ace cranks. This set-up is working out pretty well here in SLC, UT.
With Salsa Woodchippers?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm goofing around with the woodchippers right now. By far the most comfy drop bars I've ridden off-road. So far the Ultegra STI has been working pretty well on the woodchippers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cool looking bike. Is this model optimized for drop bar geometry? (e.g. shorter TT than a standard MTB)

Nevermind, I just looked at the geos and a medium has a 56cm TT so it seems more drop bar specific for sure. This is cool, but I'd like nice standard MTB fitting retro-stylized frameset with that fork crown for regular non-suspension SS applications. I'd need at least a 23.5 TT for a flat bar however and even the large frame only translates to 22.8 (which is fine for drops.)

I'm confused by their bull-moose bar product. Is it not meant for their bikes? (unless you want to run it super short circa 1992 Ritchey geometry style)

Hmm, seems like if Rawland made some standardized geometry forks (one susp. corrected and one non-susp. corrected) painted black they could sell a bunch to the rest of us with regular 29 SS bikes who just like the lougged look.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
ATXSS said:
Cool looking bike. Is this model optimized for drop bar geometry? (e.g. shorter TT than a standard MTB)

Nevermind, I just looked at the geos and a medium has a 56cm TT so it seems more drop bar specific for sure. This is cool, but I'd like nice standard MTB fitting retro-stylized frameset with that fork crown for regular non-suspension SS applications. I'd need at least a 23.5 TT for a flat bar however and even the large frame only translates to 22.8 (which is fine for drops.)

I'm confused by their bull-moose bar product. Is it not meant for their bikes? (unless you want to run it super short circa 1992 Ritchey geometry style)

Hmm, seems like if Rawland made some standardized geometry forks (one susp. corrected and one non-susp. corrected) painted black they could sell a bunch to the rest of us with regular 29 SS bikes who just like the lougged look.
I think that the fork as a stand alone product is definitely on Sean's radar, but keep in mind that Rawland is a really small company. To get two new frames done and out there for sale has been a huge undertaking for them, and along with that, the fork went through a couple of iterations before they signed off on it.

I really like the look of the fork too. Surprisingly, it is stiffer than you might think. Even with suspension correction, which is what I tried in a pre-production prototype form. I've definitely ridden smoother steel forks, but it is a looker and rides well.

The other handle bars work great too, but I wish Rawland could figure out a more elegant solution than the welded on tabs they employ now for the face plates on the stem.

I think Rawland is doing a great job with their style and direction. I really like the Draakar and these rigs in this thread are really nice looking. Hopefully the ride is as sweet!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Ride

Went out and sampled nearly 4 hours of Park City trails yesterday, which was my first 100% off road excursion on the Drakkar. I am really happy with with the way this bike rides. Tons singletrack, tight switchbacks, cobblestone-like sections of trail, and a nice rain storm were all handled with ease. No issues that I can point out at this time. As a side note, the woodchippers are really nice. If yesterday's ride is any indication of what to expect out the Drakkar, it may be my main ride for the rest of the season. Sorry Jabberwocky!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hard to tell from the website, does the cost of the frame include a fork?

Looking at a Salsa Vaya but these are SOOOO much cooler!

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
i've got a first generation d-sogn. really enjoy it, but man do i like those new dropouts and inside the stay disc mounts.

wanna trade?

·
Big wheels keep on rollin
368 Posts
Cool Bike!

That Rawland is very nice! I've been thinking about getting a Drakkar or a Singular Gryphon.

What is the largest width 29er tire that would fit. I see you have a 2.0 on there. Is that as large as you could go?

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
The current bikes will just fit Weirwolf sized tires. You need to run Surly Monkey nuts in the rear to gain that clearance, and there will be some toe overlap in the front with tires that big due to the more CX type geometry. I've run tires that big in mine and I've not had any issues gravel or normal trail riding. It is something to be aware of though. They are great bikes. Certainly some nice examples shown above.

·
368 Posts
That's huge!

If we are talking the 2.55 Weirwolf tire... that's huge. I was thinking to run a 2.1 or 2.2 max. like the Maxxis Crossmark. I like the look of the Drakkar and the braze on's would come in handy for some bikepacking runs too.

How much toe ovelap are we talking about. I would ride a Medium and wear 46 shoes. Do you know what the front center measurement is on the medium?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
The Drakkar and the Gryphon are a bit different from each other. If you're looking at the Singular line up as well, the Peregrine is a much closer comparison model to the Drakkar. Max tire size on the Peregrine is 2.1 front, and depending on model, 2.1 rear. You get the same toe overlap issues as the Drakkar with a tire that big. To echo Ben though, I've never felt that the over lap thing was that big of a deal.

·
368 Posts
Gryphon for me

That's why I've decided to go with the Gryphon. I have another bike that can run a 45mm tire. I wanted something that's more mountain bike oriented which is the Gryphon.

I'll just have to figure out a system to carry some stuff for bikepacking. I've seen a few with bags attached already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts