Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Did a lot of searches but did not find my answer. I found a 08' sultan in raw that I am considering purchasing. I like the looks of the finish but am wondering if it has a clearcoat on it or not.

thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how well does the finish weather over time?

how does the finish weather over time?
Do you have a new and recent pic you could post to see how it looks over time?

Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
eman2 said:
Hey guys,

Did a lot of searches but did not find my answer. I found a 08' sultan in raw that I am considering purchasing. I like the looks of the finish but am wondering if it has a clearcoat on it or not.

thanks
My 09 Spot is just raw - good old fashioned raw aluminum. I like the look. I have only had mine for a six weeks. Too new to do a comparison of new vs recent.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
After the frames come out of the heat treat oven, no further finishing happens. Nothing. You can see minor tool marks and the heat discoloration in the aluminum adjacent to welds. I'm a bit surprised they don't cost less than powdercoated frames since they skip some (costly) prep and painting steps and they don't need to be as careful with the frames to avoid dings to the finish. I have had a raw Sultan for a bit over a year now and I can't see any changes at all to the frame's look. DT said the raw metal can superficially absorb some oils and such and take on a weathered look, but I have not had this happen yet. I like the look and I think I would always go raw in the future since it totally obviates that fear of damaging the finish. This thread has a lot of closeups of my raw frame and the build process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.