Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeing the Turner Sultan for a while now, so I took advantage of the sale going on and picked one up in Raw. I finished buiding it up this morning. All parts came off my other bike and it came together very easily. This is the first full suspension bike i've owned and the first one that I've ridden for anything more than a 100 yards. I usually ride rigid single speed or geared hardtail. This is a whole new sport. I cleaned a techy climb with rockface and step-ups that I never made on any other bike. The fit is perfect, the front end stays planted on climbs. As long as you can turn the pedals, it seems to go over anything. Of course, it's only been one ride, but I'm pretty happy I finally pulled the trigger :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
I second the raw!

Very nice bike. I'm sure you'll love it!!!!

It does climb over everything. This must be what it feels like to own a monster truck!

Dislaimer: I played Hamlet at Cambridge.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
steevo said:
This is the first full suspension bike i've owned and the first one that I've ridden for anything more than a 100 yards. I usually ride rigid single speed or geared hardtail. This is a whole new sport. I cleaned a techy climb with rockface and step-ups that I never made on any other bike.
Quite an eye opener going from hardtail to suspension, eh. I am consistently amazed at what a FS frame will allow one to clear on the climb.

Good looking bike.

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.
The shakedown ride consisted of pedaling a mile, then stopping and adjusting something, then repeating. The bars actually started the ride lower, but I swapped out the top spacer and put it under the stem. By the end of the ride it was feeling pretty comfy and efficient pedaling, but probably still got some dialing to do. The seat ended up far forward because at the beginning of the ride I had the sensation that I was sinking backward. That probably had a lot too do with my unfamiliarity with this new "full-suspension" technology. I'm sure I'll have to tweak the shock settings some more. There's a learning curve, but I think it's going to be a fun process.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Very Nice! Really dig the raw finish. The Fox is a good fork for that bike.

I would not worry too much about the bar height at first. I ran mine with a WB 135 and a 0 rise stem and it was fine. The point is, once you have your saddle position dialed, you can make any necessary adjustments to the bar/stem as required. I remember at first ride it I felt like I was really far back but adjusted to the feeling and ended up running the seat back a bit. It worked out OK. FWIW, the Sultan does seem to like a shorter stem.

CRAZY FRED said:
My new Sultan should be in and together hopefully late next week.I CAN'T WAIT..:madman: CF...
Can't wait to see that !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quick question guys if you don't mind... I know we're talking about seat position and all, but I was wondering does everyone use clips? I have always used a pretty basic pedal mostly out of fear of being clipped in and eating it when I need to throw my foot out. Is this a bogus fear or valid? Should I try clips? I am kinda torn on this. So far, I have good results with the standard pedal.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
buckwild said:
Quick question guys if you don't mind... I know we're talking about seat position and all, but I was wondering does everyone use clips? I have always used a pretty basic pedal mostly out of fear of being clipped in and eating it when I need to throw my foot out. Is this a bogus fear or valid? Should I try clips? I am kinda torn on this. So far, I have good results with the standard pedal.
I run flats but for more XC riding clipless are the way to go. YMMV.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
buckwild said:
I use Time ATAC's. Last night I had a washout on a singletrack turn that I was able to unclip for before the bike went down. I stayed up. I think once used to clipless pedals, they do not become a problem during most xc course crashes. I do not do any type of "stunt" types of trails so ymmv of course.
G

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Having talked about stems,seatposts,and bar height I have a question,what are you all running for seatpost's?(Laid back or regular)Thanks.CF..
I use a Thomson setback - but that is what I needed for the fit I desired in relation to the pedal. I use the KOPS method - others may not. You may want to experiment based on how you want to sit over the pedal.

FWIW - the setback on a Thomson is only like 16mm, there are many posts out there with more.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
Having talked about stems,seatposts,and bar height I have a question,what are you all running for seatpost's?(Laid back or regular)Thanks.CF..
I'm running a zero-offset post on mine. Running low rise handlebars and a negative rise stem to get the handlebars about 1" below saddle height. Nice mix for XC riding and still being comfortable on steep, techy stuff.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts