Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Craig Jensen for the update below. What next? We've just lost Riverview, Scapoose, Glade trail and now Ravens... There are several other areas I'm riding a lot now because I know they are next. All the while BC continues building more and more epic trails. I think the question for me now is how do I get Canadian citizenship?!

Have FUN!

G

Here's an update on my last post about downed trees on Ravens Ridge. This response is from the ODF Ranger that is responsible for the Tillamook State Forest.
"I just learned that the project work associated with the timber sale has started. Project work includes the construction or improvement of roads that will be used during timber harvest activity. The trail will be impacted in 5 places by new spur road crossings and in one place the road will essentially parallel or be placed over the trail. They have started right of way cutting for at least one of the new spur roads
The contract references the trail and signing and communication required when work is going to start. Unfortunately I was not informed the work was going to start and the operator and contact administrator have not posted signing about the work and trail closure. I will be heading up there this afternoon to assess the work and post the trail closed. We will also get the trail closure info up on our website. I will also let Brad (trail manager) know that work has started. If you can help spread the word as well that would be helpful.
At this point I don’t know how the flow of project work is going to take place. The trail may be closed from this point forward and until all project work and timber harvest activity is complete. Which could be a year or more. I will try to get a better feel for that next week.
The timber harvest around the two sections of the trail that are impacted is a clearcut harvest."

·
Registered
290 Posts
Never have ridden ravens, but if the trail was built in a tree farm then it's to be expected. Now go build another in some 15 yr old growth.

Just got back from whistler. They are way ahead of us in building challenging trail systems. It seems that all the local builders favor intermediate trails and forget about the guy who has 15+ years of riding experience.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Not sure what 15+ years of riding has to do with advanced trails but try sending some emails off for advice on keeping trails together. Blackrock Mountain Bike Association . Also try getting feedback from the Kindom Trails Association in Vermont and the Allegrippis trails group in PA. You'll likely find that 15+ years of riding also requires the same years of advocacy to keep trails together. If it's not on public land it's a temporary trail with few acceptions that don't exist without big support.

·
Too Much Fun
2,319 Posts
Just got back from whistler. They are way ahead of us in building challenging trail systems.
It's almost absurd how great the trail building efforts are in BC. It's like it's woven into the collective psyche of the place. I know that Canada has different regs around trail building and trail use, but even so I hope that the US is starting to move in that directions. The few successful MTB trail building partnerships (Sandy Ridge comes to mind) will hopefully keep paving the way forward, though it really feels like slow going.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
To expand on legal's post above, Raven's is on land that is managed specifically for timber production. Every 40 years or so, it will be logged (clearcut) with other "management" activities (thinning, spraying, etc.) during that period . I first learned about the logging plan about 2 years ago from the trail "manager", when the area was being surveyed by a timber scaler. It's been in the works for a long time now.

In most cases an official trail will be rebuilt by the logging company (or a contractor) after the logging operation is complete. It usually is not be routed quite the same and there is certainly a different feel as there is much more brush and crap along the trail. Hopefully the ODF will allow input from riders on the rebuild since this was a MTB specific trail.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Raven's Ridge is on public land in the Tillamook State Forest. So it can happen even on public land.
So Oregon's version of "Public land" is land leased to private use without a state vote? Got it. I suppose if the votes are up to Tillamook residents the mountain would be stripped by now.........like just the north.

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone have an update on ravens? Are they still planning on rebuilding it? Are they finished logging? I would love to help pitch in in any way possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts