Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inhereted a Raven 2000sl. Cannondale said they will honor the recall on the frame by replacing it with a Prophet, Scalpel or a Rush. The rub is that I have to switch over my existing componets from the Raven. That sounds screwy to me because the old componets are not likely to fit on the newer frames. The regional sales rep is tied up in a convention or something so this info comes from the sales mgr. of the LBS. Any experience dealing with Cannondale on these issues or information on component compatibility would be great. I wonder if they have frames from prievious model years available. Any imput would be much help.
Raven has Headshock Fatty Ultra DL
Fox Float RC short stroke Vanilla
coda expert disc
coda expert EX2 crank
Shimanmo Ultegra BB
Front derailleur Shimano XT
Rear Shimano XTR
XT shifters

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
Sounds right.....Esp if your not the original owner.It sounds like your making out good..I mean all the components arent defective..They Are old, possibly worn out...Are you thinking they owe you a complete bike, 2006??
CDT

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Most of the parts will fit... maybe not the rear shock, you'll need to check the eye-to-eye and stroke lengths, maybe the bushings and shock hardware too. I'm not familiar with what style of front derailleur the Raven used and depending what frame you choose, it might not be the same. As for the Headshok, I wouldn't put that on a Prophet, it's too short and has not enough travel but it could be used on a Scalpel or a Rush just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I don't think they owe me anything and neither do they. They told me that since I was not the original owner their policy was to not replace it, but the consumer product saftey division has made them honor the recall for all 2nd hand owners. I'm wondering about what frame the parts will fit on and if you have any information regarding the availability of older model years. The bike is in brand new condition with all components in brand new condition. The chain isn't even dirty. My friend didn't ride it much before he died.
I just want to know which bike will be the best fit for the components. Was the failure rate on these frames high ?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
First:

Whatever frame you choose, it will come with a shock.

Most of the parts will work. you may have issues with the BB. The Fatty will work best with the Scalpel. It may be ok on the Rush, but the Rush is designed with a longer travel fork in mind.

What do you think about a super light CAAD 7 HT frame?

I say scalpel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damion,
Thanks for the info. It's good to know the bike will come with a shock. I'm not familiar with the CAAD7 frameset. Is that the new F series HT frame ? What's your opinion on the Scalpel's pivoting carbon chainstays. It sounds scary to me. Are you familiar with any problems with it. I'd like a bike that will last. I'm still riding a Trek 960 that I got in 1984.
I ride a Centurion Pro Tour 15 that I bought in 1983. I have a Holdsworth tandem from 1985 I don't expect it to last that long but I'm not a racer and could never even dream about owning a bike this hi-tech and expensive under normal circumstances. It's a damn shame actually because I love riding the Raven although I've torn myself up pretty good riding it. It's like getting a Porche after driving a VW beetle your whole life.They had a fix for them when the problem first arose but Cannondale said all the glue supply they shot into the frame has long since dried up.

Thanks

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Jot said:
Damion,
Thanks for the info. It's good to know the bike will come with a shock. I'm not familiar with the CAAD7 frameset. Is that the new F series HT frame ? What's your opinion on the Scalpel's pivoting carbon chainstays. It sounds scary to me. Are you familiar with any problems with it. I'd like a bike that will last. I'm still riding a Trek 960 that I got in 1984.
I ride a Centurion Pro Tour 15 that I bought in 1983. I have a Holdsworth tandem from 1985 I don't expect it to last that long but I'm not a racer and could never even dream about owning a bike this hi-tech and expensive under normal circumstances. It's a damn shame actually because I love riding the Raven although I've torn myself up pretty good riding it. It's like getting a Porche after driving a VW beetle your whole life.They had a fix for them when the problem first arose but Cannondale said all the glue supply they shot into the frame has long since dried up.

Thanks
Look at it this way: a Scalpel will be stronger and will outlast a Raven... I have never seen the pivotless carbon chainstays fail. It's a racing frame but it's strong enough to be a great trailbike. Lucky you! :p

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
That long?

If you want a bike that will last for many years, get the HT. No matter what, year to year, there will be less to go wrong.

THat being said, if I were in the same spot as you, I would go Scalpel in a second. It is by far the best match for that fork.

Are you a Clydesdale?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was a Clydesdale last year at 250 lbs. But I'm a lean 175 now. I'll take your advice and get the scalpel. I always have the old bulletproof 960 for lunking around. Can't wait !

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.