Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I am quite surprised that raveman managed a somewhat decent cut-off with fresnel lens design.
Ravemen not Raveman. I kept making that mistake, too.

The CR1000 fresnel lens seems to have a more complex design. and I suspect a better shaping lens to back it up. The CR900 has a circular different fresnel only over the die of the LED with similar vertical ribs eleswhere and I am unsure how much the beam shaping lens differs from the R1000. I have a shaping lens plus fresnel on a DIY generator light on the errand bike I made 8 or 9 years ago. I did get a lot less light above the midpoint and more near it. The CR1000 seems to have realized then potential of the two lens system.

I'd love to see a garage door beamshot of the CR1000 vs the Outbound Focal Road or a beam shot in with some bushes along the side of the trail/road to get a better estimate of the cut-off quality!
I can swap out the CR1000 and CR 900 on the helmet and use my Cell phone to compare those cutoffs shining at the door. I can also lean the bike on the door at one end or even on the house with the lights at the door jamb and let the beams fan across the door for another take of one CR900 or the CR1000. For fun, I think a temporary hood on the CR900 to cut off more of the light above the hotspot would be interesting to try. I suggested this when I got them but am not riding enough at night to have tried this yet.

I did comparos when the Planet Bike Turbo Flash came out. Cost me about $100 and I had use for the best from the test. I am not so flush with cash that I can afford a $200 light I don't need. Still, I understand the desire and have filled that in the past.

Technically a larger light body like the Trek light (which I reviewed here
maybe 5 years ago? The only time I was sent a light for that purpose.) and the Outbound Focal Road allow bigger lenses/reflectors and the LED shoot down design so it is inherently better at a great cutoff. The Focal Road it is also almost 3 X the price. So 2 CR1000's would be a better comparison (would give a nice redundancy and allow lower power/longer run times).

Another factor kicks in. The camera can lie or mislead as it is not the human eye. I have an old Stealth POV camera that had the highest night vision capabilities at that time. I don't know of any safe gravel roads or trails within 25 miles for night riding but I will do what I can.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am quite surprised that raveman managed a somewhat decent cut-off with fresnel lens design. I'd love to see a garage door beamshot of the CR1000 vs the Outbound Focal Road or a beam shot in with some bushes along the side of the trail/road to get a better estimate of the cut-off quality!
002.jpg 003.jpg

There you go. I think of the Ravemen CR1000 as more of a low glare beam. Minimal top spill of thee CR1000 is also aided by the effective beams ability to function well at lower output settings (usually 1 step lower than other similar lights).
Mole

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Shooting at the door

The Culprits (CR900 with hood, CR1000, CR900):

r1o87V.jpg

CR1000 on high:

rQqawi.jpg

CR900 on high:

axmFnt.jpg

Hooded CR900 on high:

axmFnt.jpg

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
CR1000 Some trail shots

Remembered Trouties' beam shots.

On high, near the top of the descent (the patch of green is the rough for the 12th fairway of our local Country Club about 30 feet down and 250 to 300 horizontal :

bdpykp.jpg

Looking up from the rough. there's a tree trunk at the top that the camera barely picked up that was quite lit up.

iTpWYk.jpg

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
The 12 fairway looking to the tee

CR1000 on high showing beam shape on the ground. The shadows of trees on each side were just discernable (wide fairway) but the camera did not see that:

c2e9ee.jpg

The CR900 beam pattern threw a bit more light into the bordering trees.

9CDRN2.jpg

If you look carefully the lights in the second picture are in the first but much fainter. They did not dim. So the camera cut the shutter speed as the top one was brighter in the near field. The CR900 picked out the trees on each side more.

You can easily ride on the second level and with two CR900's and the CR1000 on the helmet, all on the third level works well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks @MrMole and @BrianMc for the beam shots. Cut-off is pretty decent! But the comparison with the Outbound Road shows how a solid cut-off light should be in terms of light distribution (from cutoff to bottom) should be. Well, but it seems the asians are getting there.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Reviev update

I've been testing other lights but since I get out almost every night I've managed to sneak in a few more rides with the CR1000. Most notable thing I've noticed as of late is I'm getting along a lot better with the mode button with more usage. I've also been using the light with one of Ravemens solid mounts that keeps the light stable even on my rigid SS bike on the trails though I've found the standard strap mount works fine for everything else. The CR1000 seems like it's going to be one of those things I'm happier with the longer I own it. For me it's been nice to have a small form factor yet powerful light that lasts as long as I do on my extended night rides!
Mole

·
Registered
6,453 Posts

I've been testing other lights but since I get out almost every night I've managed to sneak in a few more rides with the CR1000. Most notable thing I've noticed as of late is I'm getting along a lot better with the mode button with more usage. I've also been using the light with one of Ravemens solid mounts that keeps the light stable even on my rigid SS bike on the trails though I've found the standard strap mount works fine for everything else. The CR1000 seems like it's going to be one of those things I'm happier with the longer I own it. For me it's been nice to have a small form factor yet powerful light that lasts as long as I do on my extended night rides!
Mole
The more beam photos I see of the CR1000 the more I'm liking it. Kudos to you for the review and Kudos to BrianMc for all those beam shots. @BrianMc; I really liked the ones that were done down the asphalt road/drive toward your house. Really showed the throw very well and gave a good sense of the distance scale .

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Kudos to BrianMc for all those beam shots[/B]. @BrianMc; I really liked the ones that were done down the asphalt road/drive toward your house. Really showed the throw very well and gave a good sense of the distance scale .
Thanks. That same shot impressed me, too. It was that shot down my drive across the street to the neighbors' garage. You are right Impressive. Very impressive. The next level down is almost as bright to the eyes.

The CR1000 is the only headlight I'd need and I would not need max power most of the time. The higher power levels help with roller coaster roads by helping see farther than the next rise when at the top of one of the rollers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
How does this light compare to Ravemen's PR1600? I am looking for a new light, and the CR1000 page says it "is designed for road bikers," whereas Cycle XP says "the PR1600 is your best choice for trail riding."

If you had to pick between the PR1600 and CR1000 for MTB, which one would it be? It's going on my handlebar, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How does this light compare to Ravemen's PR1600? I am looking for a new light, and the CR1000 page says it "is designed for road bikers," whereas Cycle XP says "the PR1600 is your best choice for trail riding."

If you had to pick between the PR1600 and CR1000 for MTB, which one would it be? It's going on my handlebar, if that makes any difference.
You want the PR1600 for MTB riding. The CR1000 is a great road/path light but the beam is a little too narrow off-road IMO.
Mole

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered one

Thanks for all the info guys!

I was looking for a new light suitable for commuting and grocery shopping and similar rides.

It is sold out at "Cycle XP" right now but Google pointed me to "biketiresdirect" where it is available.

I grew up in Germany (close to the border to the Netherlands) and I like the light cut-off since it is somewhat friendlier to oncoming cyclists and pedestrians.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
CR1000 vs Mezzol

While waiting for the Ravemen CR1000 to arrive I used a flashlight as a temporary fix. This flashlight was a Mezzol.

Mezzol X8R-L Flashlight
Luminous flux: 3000lm
LED: Cree XPH70.2
Battery: Samsung 21700
43 USD

My improvised mounts quickly became annoying because the flashlight sometimes changed angle slightly when I rode over bumps.

When I got the Ravemen CR1000 I switched it on an thought "Mehhh ..." since I got used to the brightness of the Mezzol. One might say comparing a 3000 lumen light with a 1000 lumen light is stupid but both lights use the same battery size and are not that different is overall size.

The Mezzol was however quite a bit heavier (208g vs 140g of the CR1000) which was probably a factor in the insufficient stability of my mounts.

Whatever - it was temporary solution anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
@Andy SE ( from above )

I too am currently using a very bright torch on my road setup ( Fireflies E07 ) but I also own and use a Raveman CR-900 on the same bike. Both have their pluses and minuses. My E07 is using NW (4000K) emitters so the tint is less offensive to on-coming traffic and I can dial in the exact output I want. Because of this I don't feel the need to add a hood to the torch. I can also switch batteries out any time I feel the need to do so and that is a big, big plus.

My CR-900 on the other hand has the cut-off wide beam pattern. It also has a wired remote button which comes in very handy if I do say so. When I do local road rides I tend to mix sections of MUP's with sections of road. This is why I use both lamps. With darkness arriving sooner now I'm beginning to see more people on the MUP's. When that happens I reach up and turn the E07 off and let the CR-900 take over. I just preset the 900 to it's first lowest setting ( 200 lumen ) and just let it run. With a full charge it will run for 9 hrs at that setting so no real worries about it running out of juice.

I think you need a more secure holder for your torch. The holder you have that is using rubber O-rings ( I have one of those ) do not work very well with heavier torches. Mine I secure directly to the bars. The holders I have I no longer see being sold but they incorporate adjustable cam-type clamps for both the bars and the part that holds the torch. Works very well both on road or MTB'n. The closest thing I see to what I own is sold on both ebay and Amazon. These look a little beefier than the ones I own but should work the same way. Other people that I recommended these to have said they work very well and are rock steady.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Cat-man-do

@Cat-man-do

> It also has a wired remote button which comes in very handy
> if I do say so.

Really? I always wondered who would use the remote button. I switch the light on when I start riding and switch it off when I reach my destination. And I don't like the idea of having a cable on the handlebars.

> I think you need a more secure holder for your torch.
> The holder you have that is using rubber O-rings do
> not work very well with heavier torches.

Yes, I agree.

> The closest thing I see to what I own is sold on both ebay
> and Amazon. These look a little beefier than the ones I own
> but should work the same way. Other people that I recommended
> these to have said they work very well and are rock steady.

I think I know what you mean and I ordered one (two actually) from Aliexpress. Might arrive next week or next year ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Solid mount

MRMOLE wrote "the solid accessory mount is pretty good".

Is that the ABM05?

I like it but my carbon handlebars (Canyon CP04) are not really round. They are kind of oval with an edge at the back. Towards the outer sides they are more rounded but only around 23mm in diameter.

Any recommendation about what I could do?
The strap mount kind of works but I'm not completely happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
MRMOLE wrote "the solid accessory mount is pretty good".

Is that the ABM05?

I like it but my carbon handlebars (Canyon CP04) are not really round. They are kind of oval with an edge at the back. Towards the outer sides they are more rounded but only around 23mm in diameter.

Any recommendation about what I could do?
The strap mount kind of works but I'm not completely happy with it.

That's the mount I was referring to but unfortunately it's only compatible with round bars. The strap mount that comes with the CR1000 is the only option I know of for Ravemen lights that would work with your bar setup. What exactly are you "not completely happy with" about the mount?
Mole

EDIT: Would this work with the out front mount you pictured a couple of posts back? I've not used one of these so I have no idea how stable it would be. I've used something similar with my torches (maybe what your using) but attachment bands didn't provide adequate tension. Replaced with 2 silicone bands for a tighter more stable fit. Your flashlight mount might work (for flashlight and CR1000) attached this way.

ABM04-1.png SD05 Bar Mounted.jpg

21 - 40 of 68 Posts