Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Be careful out there.. riding NTM today and pulled over for a rider on the SW side of the loop (the new part) and heard the rattle. It was probably about shoulder height right next to me. There is nothing like that sound so I moved quickly.

Be careful where you pull over and keep your ears open..

·
My cup runneth over
2,409 Posts
Thanks for the warning. I thought I heard a rattle on Sunday but dismissed it as too early... Clearly not the case.

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warning. I thought I heard a rattle on Sunday but dismissed it as too early... Clearly not the case.
I thought it was a bit early for them, I don't recall ever seeing one this early...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Be careful out there.. riding NTM today and pulled over for a rider on the SW side of the loop (the new part) and heard the rattle. It was probably about shoulder height right next to me. There is nothing like that sound so I moved quickly.

Be careful where you pull over and keep your ears open..
Its also thunderstorm season, driving season, and oh yea, mountain bike season. All things that are more likely to hurt you than a rattlesnake.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was fly fishing bear creek with my gf Saturday and about 10 snakes came out from under an upturned root ball within 15 minutes. Not sure what they were. Skinny little brown snakes 1-3 feet long. They must all be waking up.

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its also thunderstorm season, driving season, and oh yea, mountain bike season. All things that are more likely to hurt you than a rattlesnake.
Clearly its also jacka$$ season... spring is not thunderstorm season..

Reactions: dbabuser

·
Registered
202 Posts
Clearly its also jacka$$ season... spring is not thunderstorm season..
You get the jist of it. Do some research, the majority of rattlesnake bites occur b/c the person who gets bit is messing with it or trying to kill it. If more people would use common sense like, look before you sit down, or don't try and chop its head off you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Posts like yours just crack me up b/c you guys act like rattlesnakes are some major threat to cyclists. Hell there is another thread that is just below this one on the topic.

Maybe if it occurred to you that the place you stopped was likely on a southern or eastern facing ridge or slope, you would know that that is where snakes like to den up b/c of the suns direction and the warmth it creates. And being as it is spring, snakes are leaving their dens to look for food. Or perhaps if you realized that the pile of logs and rocks in your yard is a great place for rodents to nest, and snakes to feed or hide you wouldn't have to worry about your kids getting bit.

Educate yourself and you wont need to stress about snakes, just my 2 cents.

Venomous Snake FAQs

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
And it's super hard to get those little foil hats on them without getting bit!

Reactions: JackJr

·
STRAVA!!!!!!
886 Posts
Problem is little kids go to parks too. The rattlesnakes need to go. It's negligent for a parks dept. to leave them there. Bull snakes can take their place.
Oh Christ dont mention anything to them about it!!! They will have to close everything down, spend a bunch of money doing a big study and find out that the snakes are really "genetically pure Texas yellow tail rattlers" that actually escaped from a pet store in the 1960s and then permanently close the whole park down because they have no more money to "relocate" the snakes cause they spent all the dough on the study!!!!
So, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I fully realize that the chances of a snake hurting me are incredibly low.

However, some things scare me so bad that I am likely to hurt myself and snakes (any kind FWIW) are one of them.

·
oot & aboot in Colorado
366 Posts
Posts like yours just crack me up b/c you guys act like rattlesnakes are some major threat to cyclists.

Tell that to Mary Ellen who was bitten last summer standing at the top of Picture Rock. They were standing there chatting and she was bit without warning or rattle. She ended up in the hospital for the better part of a week.

There's nothing wrong with reminding people to watch where they step. There is a reason Rabbit Mountain used to be named Rattlesnake Mountain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts