Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a noon ride up St. Joes today (hot) and saw 2 rattle snakes on the trail. One gave me a polite "back up, home boy" tail shake. That makes 3 sightings of these fanged creatures in a week.

So ads to my list of animals to be freaked out about for this summer in the Bay Area:

1) Mountain Lions (Saw one last year in Santa Cruz and one off Overgrown in Los Gatos)
2) Rattle Snakes (Three this year so far - lots up in the Windy Hill area too)
3) Scorpions (saw one in Demo and one on Kennedy last year)
4) Tarantulas (Saw one on St, Joes last year and they migrate through Coe in the summer?)
5) A-hole yellow Jackets...sometimes they just want to attack. (Last year attacked in Demo twice, Soda Springs once, and finally on St, Joes which sent me to the ER with anophilactic shock...went home with a year supply of epi-pens)
6) Rangers...mostly Mid Pen
7) Those AHole little bugs that want to fly in your eyes on the hardest part of the climb
8) Mosquitos
9) Ticks (Not facial)
10) Black Widows/Brown Recluse

What I forget?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Tarantulas are cool -- you can let them crawl around on you like they do at Coe's Tarantula Festival.

I saw a gopher snake this morning on the bike path in North San Jose.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
11) Coyote; I saw one at Arastradero a couple of weeks ago
12) Deer; Bambi may look cute... until he broadsides you at full-tilt!

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I've seen that Coyote A LOT recently in Arastradero.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did forget to mention those little rabits that live up on Kennedy Mountain...they tend to shoot across as your just hitting 50 on Dog Meat...gives the term bunny hop new (real) meaning.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
squashyo said:
I did forget to mention those little rabits that live up on Kennedy Mountain...they tend to shoot across as your just hitting 50 on Dog Meat...gives the term bunny hop new (real) meaning.
Hate those little buggers..............................If I saw one at over 25 mph, I would just treat it like a rock on go straight with no brakes and hope that little guy gets out of the way.

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
SVSocrates said:
I've seen that Coyote A LOT recently in Arastradero.
Same here. They don't seem to be bothered by riders at all lately. Last week one of them ran alongside the trail playfully jumping over obstacles for 10-15 seconds next to me. We almost had an accident when it tried to merge to the trail; then it decided to wait until after I passed. :)

Ali

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Umm, you forgot ...

Super hot chicks. Why the hell don't more hot chicks stand by the side of the trail and offer us rad mtn bike dudes a glass of cool lemonade on a hot day?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Saw quite a few Cougar's on St. Joes and LG Creek Trail yesterday. I also almost ran over a Rattler -- I didn't even realize it till my buddy told me I missed it by a couple of inches.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Rattler at the Rock at Tamarancho

We've said hi to it on the last 3-4 rides there

·
Registered
762 Posts
you forgot bobcats

i experience 1 or 2 sightings annually on Mt. D. and adjoining areas

also, fox sightings, albeit more rare even than bobcat

you didn't mention horses and cows :lol:

·
Registered
487 Posts
racerick said:
you forgot bobcats

i experience 1 or 2 sightings annually on Mt. D. and adjoining areas
:
I've seen two in the last couple weeks. One was tiny, probably just left his mother or his mother was nearby. Cute little bugger let me get within about 5' before he took off.

Nobody's said turkeys yet. They're everywhere this time of year. Last year in Santa Teresa I came around a corner and there was 5-6 of them on the trail, came within inches of hitting one

1 - 20 of 56 Posts