Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great lunch ride today. Saw the usual squirrels, rabbits and deer and as an added bonus this guy.

5' Rattlesnake sunning itself across the trail. It took me a little while but I caught it, lopped the head off and it's marinating as we speak. We'll see if what they say is true.

Attachments

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Interesting... I will warn you that it is very greasy and kind of tough meat. I had it a couple times growing up in South Dakota. A family friend whom is Native American would make it for us. I was not a big fan. Good luck!

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I like Rattlesnakes, but to watch, not eat... I have eaten snake in Asia, and was not impressed.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heheh! Must've had his tongue out...
Had rattlesnake chili once but anything is good after cooking in chili.

5'? I'd say that's a bit of a "stretch." ;)
The problem is I had already told the story 4-5 times before making this post. You how the story goes, each time I tell it the snake grows...lol

Seriously...I was zoomed in with my camera. The "caught it to eat it" part of the story was an April Fools joke. I'm not afraid of snakes but have a healthy respect for the venomous ones. After taking some pics and video I got it the scoot back into the woods so I could continue riding.

SPIDERS on the other hand...YUK!!! My biggest fear it going threw some low lying trees and having a spider fall into the open vents of my helmet.

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
The problem is I had already told the story 4-5 times before making this post. You how the story goes, each time I tell it the snake grows...lol

Seriously...I was zoomed in with my camera. The "caught it to eat it" part of the story was an April Fools joke. I'm not afraid of snakes but have a healthy respect for the venomous ones. After taking some pics and video I got it the scoot back into the woods so I could continue riding.

SPIDERS on the other hand...YUK!!! My biggest fear it going threw some low lying trees and having a spider fall into the open vents of my helmet.

Haha, I knew you didn't kill it! I was going to pull out the old "pics or it didn't happen." I hate spiders too. I was a pool man in HS and part of college here in So Cal and had one too many black widows crawl on me. The webs were half of the battle too.

Here is a rattler I saw sunning last week (Southern Pacific Rattler):

image.jpg

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I was a little skeptical as to where and how you would conceal carry the 'lopper' to have his head off...

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,004 Posts
5'? I'd say that's a bit of a "stretch." ;)
Took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe 4'footer but it's no 5' footer.
As far as killing it and eating it WTF were you stranded and needed nourishment?;) who does that. Most ride by and are thankful for the nature experience.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took the words right out of my mouth. Maybe 4'footer but it's no 5' footer.
As far as killing it and eating it WTF were you stranded and needed nourishment?;) who does that. Most ride by and are thankful for the nature experience.
I'm a type II diabetic. I need to snack during rides.

·
GONE
25,541 Posts
I too have eaten rattlesnake. There isn't much meat for the effort but if you were stuck out in the wilds and you had the opportunity to kill, cook, and eat one in order to stay alive, so be it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts