Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slap happy crappiness
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already almost ran into two in the past week here in San Diego, a baby and a 5 footer. They're out early!
Anyone else spotting them too?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
DHgnaR said:
Already almost ran into two in the past week here in San Diego, a baby and a 5 footer. They're out early!
Anyone else spotting them too?
No rattlesnakes lately, but a few other snakes around Malibu & the SFV (San Fernando Valley). Almost ran over one two weekends ago when it was sunning it's self on the fire road I was taking back to the truck. (It was around 3+ feet long.) I have it on my GoPro, I'll see if I can get a picture from it when I get home tonight.

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
I Luv Snakes!!!
This.

Although, there are expected to be broken records for LOW temps this weekend in SD county -- don't expect to see much in the way of cold blooded critters for at least another week...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
kdiff said:
No rattlesnakes lately, but a few other snakes around Malibu & the SFV (San Fernando Valley). Almost ran over one two weekends ago when it was sunning it's self on the fire road I was taking back to the truck. (It was around 3+ feet long.) I have it on my GoPro, I'll see if I can get a picture from it when I get home tonight.

·
GONE
26,830 Posts
kdiff said:
That's an adult San Diego Gopher snake. Yes, a San Diego Gopher snake even if you saw it in Los Angeles! All of the Gopher snakes along at least the Southern half of and West of the deserts in California are San Diego Gopher snakes. The Gopher snakes in the Eastern half of the state (deserts) are Great basins Gopher snakes which generally have a bright yellow to orange color in their pattern, usually near the tail.

Happy snake encounters! Be nice to them because they are not being mean to you!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dem Rattlers are good eatin!!

My in-laws often find Rattlers on their property in Fallbrook (SD county) and often "terminate" them. I've had them BBQ'd and braised... Taste pretty good IMO.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been seeing snake tracks across the trails for a couple of weeks now. Are they rattlers? Don't know, just seen the tracks. Did hear one rattle off as I pedaled by, but just once.

·
certified mtb addict
163 Posts
I nearly ran over a rattler near the bottom of the rock-it trail in Aliso/Wood canyon two weekends ago. Being an Aussie it just made me feel at home (where I have actually run over a snake before)!

·
Registered
795 Posts
ptfmb71 said:
I would worry more about the baby than the 5-footer.
I've always wondered why people say this!
Little snakes are kinda cute...even if rattling like crazy with glowing red eyes! :D

I would be scared at a 5 footer in the same situation! :eek:

Isn't it to cold for snakes yet? I haven't seen any were I ride...probably until march...probably april. And it's dry were I ride...

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
baby rattlesnakes will shoot their entire venom supply in one bite, this is why they are more dangerous. Adult's meter out their poison.

Example: remember the first time you had sex, yeah like that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Howeler said:
baby rattlesnakes will shoot their entire venom supply in one bite, this is why they are more dangerous. Adult's meter out their poison.

HAHAHAHAHA Classy! ;)

I guess I'll stay away from the baby rattlesnakes.

·
GONE
26,830 Posts
Howeler said:

How many times do I have to correct this myth!!!??? Every year, somebody says that "baby rattlers are more dangerous than adults". It's simply not true and scientifically proven to be not true.

Here's the details...

True, a baby rattler has little to no control over the amount of venom released during a "wet" bite. I've toyed with them several times in recent years and they are in fact capable of a "dry" bite, by the way. No, I didn't get bit but I teased them into striking upon a stick that I warmed up with my hand. DO NOT TRY THAT OR YOU COULD DIE!

But the scary fact is this. The minute amount of venom a baby rattler (yearling or less) releases in a wet bite is dwarfed by the "average" amount of venom released from an adult during a wet bite! And to make things worse, if an adult decided to release a large amount of venom, it could potentially be more than 10 times the amount of venom a baby could release at maximum!!!

Now, that's what's really scary if you ask me...It's the adults you should really be afraid of.

·
Registered
729 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
That's an adult San Diego Gopher snake. Yes, a San Diego Gopher snake even if you saw it in Los Angeles! All of the Gopher snakes along at least the Southern half of and West of the deserts in California are San Diego Gopher snakes. The Gopher snakes in the Eastern half of the state (deserts) are Great basins Gopher snakes which generally have a bright yellow to orange color in their pattern, usually near the tail.

Happy snake encounters! Be nice to them because they are not being mean to you!!!
Not to mention they eat lots of rodentia. My mom accidentally killed one thinking it was a rattler and was really bummed after. It was enormous for a gopher snake, not so much length, but girth.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
How many times do I have to correct this myth!!!??? Every year, somebody says that "baby rattlers are more dangerous than adults". It's simply not true and scientifically proven to be not true.

Here's the details...

True, a baby rattler has little to no control over the amount of venom released during a "wet" bite. I've toyed with them several times in recent years and they are in fact capable of a "dry" bite, by the way. No, I didn't get bit but I teased them into striking upon a stick that I warmed up with my hand. DO NOT TRY THAT OR YOU COULD DIE!

But the scary fact is this. The minute amount of venom a baby rattler (yearling or less) releases in a wet bite is dwarfed by the "average" amount of venom released from an adult during a wet bite! And to make things worse, if an adult decided to release a large amount of venom, it could potentially be more than 10 times the amount of venom a baby could release at maximum!!!

Now, that's what's really scary if you ask me...It's the adults you should really be afraid of.
Thank you!!! I too, get so sick of hearing that. It's right up there with "but we need the rain" -- another myth people always spout without knowing what they're talking about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.