Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Now referred to by Shimano as Low Normal. Simply means that when shifting the rear derailleur, that the trigger (forefinger) shifts up the cassette to a larger cog = easier gear and the thumb shifts down to a smaller cog = harder gear. This is of course using standard Rapidfire shifters. In other words the opposite of what was standard a few years back. Takes a while to get used to but once you do...
rshank3499 said:
what exactly is rapid rise? i hear it alot and dont know what it is?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
It's as bikeboy mentioned.

It's also called Retard Rise.
No thanks. I set my bikes up so that they are comfortable and easy to use. I've been riding for a long time, and I have many bikes. With my new VPX, you could bet it won't have Retard Rise since all my other bikes are normal. Granted, the idea is alright (I don't like how it works - or not - in panic downshifts, though), and would have been easier to adapt to if I started riding with that system.

I'm going to adapt my bikes for me - I'm not going to adapt to the bikes. Sure, call me lazy, but I want to make the choices of what I want - not Shimano.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
Only time will tell if Shimano gets rid of Rapid Rise. I hope they do. It was a bad idea to begin with. ;)

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Kona0197 said:
Only time will tell if Shimano gets rid of Rapid Rise. I hope they do. It was a bad idea to begin with. ;)
Well silly me. I just got in a Rapid Rise XT rear derailluer with SRAM rocket trigger shifters. Still learning it but so far so good. Smooth shifts every time.
One thing I like about the RR is that the spring is naturally not under tension when it is in it's lowest gear (largest cog in back) where you are most likely to leave it.
Also with the old style derailleur sometimes you could sometimes force it past it's stops and jam the chain into the spokes which many times ruins spokes. I doubt that will be much of an issue now.
Sometimes it is nice to learn something new. Gets the cobwebs out! :eek:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Kona0197 said:
Let me know if they drop it so I can stock up on a few spares. Been riding rapid rise mistakes since I had the option to choose back in 2001.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I agree. I have it on two bikes and high normal on my commuter. I prefer rapid rise.
Hecubus said:
Let me know if they drop it so I can stock up on a few spares. Been riding rapid rise mistakes since I had the option to choose back in 2001.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.