Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use a Shimano rapid rise derailleur (m-970) with a set of rapidfire shifters? The Shimano website says that the m-970 derailleur is "best matched" with dual control and that the m-971 rear derailleur (top normal) is "best matched" with rapidfire. On the other hand, Shimano's site also says that their xtr rapidfire's are compatible with all 9-speed derailleurs. I like the idea of rapid rise now that the new XTR shifters can shift multiple gears in either direction.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
lml1x said:
Is it possible to use a Shimano rapid rise derailleur (m-970) with a set of rapidfire shifters? The Shimano website says that the m-970 derailleur is "best matched" with dual control and that the m-971 rear derailleur (top normal) is "best matched" with rapidfire. On the other hand, Shimano's site also says that their xtr rapidfire's are compatible with all 9-speed derailleurs. I like the idea of rapid rise now that the new XTR shifters can shift multiple gears in either direction.
You should be able to, i haven't heard the index ratio (1:1.7) has changed. But ya that is a weird statement to make, must be a marketing dept running out of ideas to keep DC a float.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
same with the 07 xtrs, no problems, they probly mean "best when used with" because of the dual action of the finger lever on the 07s. it might be more usefull for upshifting rather than downshifting. I like them anyway

·
Registered
242 Posts
i've got an old rapid rise xtr rd-m951 and it works fine with my xtr rapidfire shifters (both 9sp)

i don't even think that shimano made dual-control shifters when the 951 came out (1998?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.