Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a bit of a rant...if i owned a business i'd certainly rethink my structure if it ended up looking like a bike shop that had a bunch of know it all clowns working there, as well as the goof with the shaved head wearing oakleys inside. Get off the pedistal...ass. Quite rude and out of line, like he was too good to do anything for me. These fools excel at alienating the general population, where in a town like this, happens to be the bread and butter of just about any business. Oh and those arrogant, skin tight wearing, flamboyant jack asses' that refuse to acknowledge people on the trail even after you say hi, unfortunately do not keep you in business. Yet theyt too, seem to frequent the place and have worn off on on the staff..or vice versa. The shop has nice stuff, trek/cannondale, too bad the staff is sub par. This is true for probably half the mechanic staff to, some seemed cool, other as thought it was a bother that i was even in there. ......and i made sure i visited a few times before i posted it, asked some questions, bought some things, even had a few things fixed...cause im sure i've ruffled some feathers....so if you're on Mill suggest you go off mill for a shop that isn't being bothered by patrons...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I test rode a couple of bikes at Dominic's a few months back and the guy I spoke to was as nice as could be, but I didn't have any contact with anyone else. He was a young light-skinned black guy, but I can't remember his name.

FWIW... the owner over at Tempe Bicycle was one of the nicest people in the business I've ever met. I took a test ride on a rather expensive bike and he even trusted me enough to let me go without asking for my ID.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,981 Posts
Even though you had bad luck with Domenics, I have to agree with the last post that the folks over at Tempe Bicycle are super nice. Give them a try.

·
I need to ride more.
150 Posts
blatantSS said:
here's a bit of a rant...if i owned a business i'd certainly rethink my structure if it ended up looking like a bike shop that had a bunch of know it all clowns working there, as well as the goof with the shaved head wearing oakleys inside. Get off the pedistal...ass. Quite rude and out of line, like he was too good to do anything for me. These fools excel at alienating the general population, where in a town like this, happens to be the bread and butter of just about any business. Oh and those arrogant, skin tight wearing, flamboyant jack asses' that refuse to acknowledge people on the trail even after you say hi, unfortunately do not keep you in business. Yet theyt too, seem to frequent the place and have worn off on on the staff..or vice versa. The shop has nice stuff, trek/cannondale, too bad the staff is sub par. This is true for probably half the mechanic staff to, some seemed cool, other as thought it was a bother that i was even in there. ......and i made sure i visited a few times before i posted it, asked some questions, bought some things, even had a few things fixed...cause im sure i've ruffled some feathers....so if you're on Mill suggest you go off mill for a shop that isn't being bothered by patrons...
South Mountain Cycles is the best bike shop I've ever had the privilege of working with.

The 3 top reasons are Scott, Bob and Matt. On top of that, they hardly ever charge me anything to fix anything that goes wrong with my bike, and they do it fast. They're always friendly and always show respect for the customer. One time I went in and they were really busy, so I decided to just come back later (I didn't talk to any of the guys there)...I got a call 15 minutes later at my house, it was Bob was wondering what I needed. A lot of places wouldn't do that. I will buy ever bike and every part I ever need from that store.

Richard

·
Registered
330 Posts
now's my chance to spill also -- been waiting for this...

I agree with the 50% assessment on the mechanics in the shop on Mill. Had a fork service there once and a rear hub adjustment another time. Interacted with a total of four of them during those two times. Two were obviously bothered that I was wasting their time bringing in business and two were actually quite friendly and actually spent a minute or so in social banter. One was an older guy who seemed happy to answer questions and the other was a younger guy, probably a roadie, who didn't like to talk but at least smiled when you walked up to the window and helped you out writing a ticket. I won't describe physical characterisitics of the two a-holes, but they acted like I didn't know what the heck I was talking about when bringing up that I needed a bearing migration reset on a Lefty (because they probably didn't know how to do it?). The first guy gave me a smirk and raised one eyebrow like "come on, you are a total idiot" and he turned and walked away. I could not believe it. A-hole #2 made me stand outside that service door with my mountain bike for like 5 minutes because he was oogling over some Italian high-end road bike with another employee. They both knew I was standing there -- I should have rang their little bell and asked when are the polite mechanics coming in for a shift. I went back there for service the other time because the a-hole mechanic percentage at the shop where I bought the bike (vicinity of 101 and Frank LLoyd Wright) is 100% for me (three different mechanics on three different trips) - but the sales guy there was polite obviously. It is so bad at the 101/FLW shop that my bike came with free lifetime adjustments and I would rather do it myself or pay someone just so I don't have to go in there and deal with them -- especially the one guy who has been a disgruntled bike mechanic for like 20 years -- I'm sure you know who I am talking about if you've been there.

I never had mechnical work done at Tempe Bike, but they were very helpful when I need a kid jogger and therefore bought a $350 one from them (along with a handful of tubes, some socks, and other similar things that I didn't even need at the time) because nobody had attitude that worked there. I wonder if they know their way around an SPV Lefty...

I never had a bad experience at Bicycle Showcase at Scottsdale/Shea or Landis in Tempe (used to ride a Specialized). Went to each multiple times and they were always very courteous for both sales and repairs/upgrade service.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
DHF'rrrrr.....I've said before, Mikes on Brown Rd. has much better c/s (imo) than DNA by far. When Mike is there he's always helpful and friendly. Maybe not much of a downhill shop, but who is? C/S is what matters.....!

BTW the few 3 or 4 times I've been to SMC's they were great....

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,339 Posts
Rage is my go to place. Excellent customer service from everybody and Curly rides everything from road to DH so he knows his sh**. As for Domenics I used to race for their mt. bike team in the early 90's. I remember Domenic himself talking about how someday that this small company call Marzocchi would dominate rockshox. Too roadie oriented for me know.

·
igoslo
971 Posts
azdog said:
Rage is my go to place. Excellent customer service from everybody and Curly rides everything from road to DH so he knows his sh**. As for Domenics I used to race for their mt. bike team in the early 90's. I remember Domenic himself talking about how someday that this small company call Marzocchi would dominate rockshox. Too roadie oriented for me know.
Amen to that, Rage is by and far my favorite. Whenever I need something I'd rather make the drive from central Phoenix than visit any of the places right around me. Just feels more like a real bike shop should when you walk in the door.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
V02 deficient said:
It is so bad at the 101/FLW shop that my bike came with free lifetime adjustments and I would rather do it myself or pay someone just so I don't have to go in there and deal with them -- especially the one guy who has been a disgruntled bike mechanic for like 20 years -- I'm sure you know who I am talking about if you've been there.
Yeah, I know who you're talking about V02.

I gave up on shop loyalty after a seemingly good relations with many of the above mentioned Scottsdale shops made their way into the crapper. I now have a different expectation out of a bikeshop that seems to keep me sane:

USE ONLY IN EMERGENCY.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I was at yetisurly's shop this weekend... a garage dedicated to bikes, as it should be! He's got the good stuff there... and knows how to use it too! Makes me look like a damn idiot, but then again, thats not saying much! :cool:

yetisurly said:
Appointment by request.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Rage is it

I'll have to agree with Rage cycles. I have been in warranty situations with my mtn and road bikes (both my fault) and both times they have come through and provided the highest level of service I could ask for.. Deffinitely worth the drive from South Chandler..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.