Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time, the single item on a bike I was hardest on -- other than the frame itself -- was chains. Break a chain every couple rides. Then it was spokes, with the same result. Had a bad run of saddles in there for a while as well, breaking rails every week or so.

Now it's sidewalls, and it's pissing me off.

The worst part about this is that I'm a diehard tubeless zealot. I love the way a bike rides and feels when it's tubeless, and I can always tell when there's a tube in the tire. They're great! I recommend setting up every bike tubeless. I'd go tubeless on my road bike if I could do it ghetto-style, and regret missing the clincher era. But tubeless makes this otherwise easy fix -- slip in a Powerbar wrapper, or per Yares' idea, a chunk of milk jug -- a messy inconvenience.

Can't figure out why I've been so hard on sidewalls lately. I noticed a definite uptick since moving to 29er bikes, and a possible uptick when I moved away from Exiwolfs and into Rampage and Jones tires. I don't think I'm riding any different, but my tires beg to differ.

:madman:

Anyway, I'm headed out now to drain and clean, yet again, my tubeless setup so I can patch my front tire for, like, the fifth time. The molding seam down the middle isn't even worn away yet. At least they're patchable! Thankfully I'm not losing $50 every time I carve a new notch into my tire.

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.

p.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
Paul
3 things-

1. No need to drain and clean the tire to patch. Just pull one side of the tire off (best to pull the offending side). Over a sink, rotate the hole to 3 or 9 o'clock. Clean the area around the hole with mineral spirits, apply glue, count to 100, apply patch, top off your goop and seat the bead. I've even done it without pulling the wheel off the bike. And I've had really good luck with patching the snake bites right on the edge of the bead.

For larger slices, I bought a package of car tire patches that are really thick to reinforce the hole.

2. Curious you went from Exiwolfs to Rampages. I went the other way and like the Exiwolfs a whole lot more for our typical XC riding, loose and packed DG.

3. To look at in another way, aren't you amazed how well equipment holds up for all the abuse we dish out? If I didn't just come to expect things to hold up out of experience, I would think that mountain biking would be a very expensive activity.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Try the WTB 2.5 LT. Super fast rolling, fairly light tire, and if you run them at no more than 30 psi, the big volume seems to help you avoid sidewall tears for some reason. This is the first raceable 29'r tire that I have actually worn out the tread on(other than super heavy wire-bead Nevegals). I put them on for the Old Pueblo, and haven't taken them off since. They've survived the rockiness of the Huachucas, the Whiskey, a 24 in Italy, Silver City, Las Cruces and in general a ton of abuse.

That being said, if you get a string of bad sidewall juju going, ain't nothing can stop it except some voodoo or a trailside sacrifice of some sort! ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,570 Posts
Man, you guys and your tubeless tires, every ride I go on someone has to fix a flat on a tubeless-tire.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooh, someone besides me is near their computer on a Sunday...

Jm: Same re. you people and your tubes! ;-)

Jeff: 25 front, 30ish rear, more like 33-35 because any lower and it was feeling squirrelly. Think the low psi is a factor?

Richard: I just replaced a rear Rampage with a Nevegal -- very similar tires! But I'm not 100% sold on them. I liked the Exiwolfs, just wanted to try something a bit knobbier. This is my National/Six Shooter bike, and I like more bite. Interesting re. mineral spirits: I'm going to go try that right now. Sure would beat the full drain/replace cycle. And, yeah, it's really pretty cool how overall durable the good stuff is.

Skid: Haven't tried the LT yet! Sounds enormous. But it's not heavy, huh? Re. trailside sacrifice, do you think the sidewall gods require a blood sacrifice? Does it need to be mine? Because it turns out my riding buddy likes to spout bloody noses when it's hot and dry out.
p.

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
+1 on the WTB LT Weirwolf.
Also try the Conti Mnt King

Paul B said:
Ooh, someone besides me is near their computer on a Sunday...

Jm: Same re. you people and your tubes! ;-)

Jeff: 25 front, 30ish rear, more like 33-35 because any lower and it was feeling squirrelly. Think the low psi is a factor?

Richard: I just replaced a rear Rampage with a Nevegal -- very similar tires! But I'm not 100% sold on them. I liked the Exiwolfs, just wanted to try something a bit knobbier. This is my National/Six Shooter bike, and I like more bite. Interesting re. mineral spirits: I'm going to go try that right now. Sure would beat the full drain/replace cycle. And, yeah, it's really pretty cool how overall durable the good stuff is.

Skid: Haven't tried the LT yet! Sounds enormous. But it's not heavy, huh? Re. trailside sacrifice, do you think the sidewall gods require a blood sacrifice? Does it need to be mine? Because it turns out my riding buddy likes to spout bloody noses when it's hot and dry out.
p.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Paul - im in the same boat. I slashed a Specialized Captain on my Epic a week ago and then this week slashed a Hutchinson Python on my 29er. Then pinched flatted on the way home both times with the tubes that I put in. One time had the family pick me up cause I was half way up the Javelina and the other I ran the last two miles in with the bike. Not fun in this hot weather. And now having trouble building the tires back up tubeless again. Stans all over the floor on my garage.

Feel your pain and frustration!!!

·
Banned
226 Posts
meh, I run nothing but jones 29er on my ss. I've rubbed them along rocks so many times all over somo that I can hardly make out the Bontrager name front and rear.

30 psi is all I run.

You guys can keep your 2.5 inch half pound heavier wtb tires. :rolleyes:

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
bikerideAZ said:
meh, I run nothing but jones 29er on my ss. I've rubbed them along rocks so many times all over somo that I can hardly make out the Bontrager name front and rear.

30 psi is all I run.

You guys can keep your 2.5 inch half pound heavier wtb tires. :rolleyes:
the lack of suspension makes my whole bike lighter.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Don't worry about taking off the tire," he said. "It's easy!" he said.

Not dismounting the tire was, as the kids say, an epic fail. I'm sure that, like everything else, it takes practice. Or I could just keep doing it the "hard" way and stop wasting patches and spooge. :/

Ugh! What a mess.

p.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Paul,

Here is a thought, maybe your bike is the problem. You should look into a real 29er that doesn't have a flimsy linkage setup like the RIP9, oh I don't know, but a Sultan comes to mind :) Just think how many less flat tires you would have if that rear tire just tracked nice and true :)

BTW, I am JOKING, as noted with the smiley's, no need to turn this into a Turner vs. Niner thread.

·
Professional Amateur
446 Posts
I put a bit of chicken blood and batwing in with my sealant goop, that helps ward off the sidewall cut juju. Rampages have been good to me so far, but I don't get to ride as often or as hard as you likely do.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tiSS'er said:
Paul,

Here is a thought, maybe your bike is the problem. You should look into a real 29er that doesn't have a flimsy linkage setup like the RIP9, oh I don't know, but a Sultan comes to mind :) Just think how many less flat tires you would have if that rear tire just tracked nice and true :)

BTW, I am JOKING, as noted with the smiley's, no need to turn this into a Turner vs. Niner thread.
Now we are Internet foes! Let us duel to the death.

(I've only had one sidewall cut on a rear wheel -- the other...7 or so...have been front-wheel hits. So maybe the problem is that goddamned Minute! Or the fact that I'm all Magilla Gorilla when I try and pick decent lines.)

p.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Paul B said:
Now we are Internet foes! Let us duel to the death.

(I've only had one sidewall cut on a rear wheel -- the other...7 or so...have been front-wheel hits. So maybe the problem is that goddamned Minute! Or the fact that I'm all Magilla Gorilla when I try and pick decent lines.)

p.
You just answered your own question. Anything attached to Manitou turns to crap.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tiSS'er said:
You just answered your own question. Anything attached to Manitou turns to crap.
An excellent start, Internet foe, but you have me at a disadavantage. Tell me what kind of bike you ride so that I can insult it and, by extension, its owner. Which would be you, good sir.

(It's funnier when you pretend I have the voice of Foghorn Leghorn while I say this.)

p.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
tiSS'er said:
Funny, I have the same problem anytime I ride with someone using tubes.
boy is that not the truth, ----i hand out tubes , tire tools and my co2 all the time to guys with tubes .:madman:

i carry 2 tubes and 4 co2's and on some rides i come back empty :eekster:

it always seems to be right in the begining of a ride ----and i always think ( well if i get a flat now i am screwed )
:confused:

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
OK:

07 Sultan (RP23) with a previously creaky Reba, Kings/Flows, XT/XO/Thomson/K24, WTB Exiwolfs
and an 06 RFX (CCDB) with RC2X, Kings/Stans Freerides, XT/XO/Thomson/Minaar Ones, Maxxis DH tires

The RFX is kinda hard to miss, maybe you have seen it :)

Insult away!

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
kelstr said:
boy is that not the truth, ----i hand out tubes , tire tools and my co2 all the time to guys with tubes .:madman:

i carry 2 tubes and 4 co2's and on some rides i come back empty :eekster:

it always seems to be right in the begining of a ride ----and i always think ( well if i get a flat now i am screwed )
:confused:
Funny. I go through the same thing. Seems like the only time the tubes get used that are in my pack are to riders with tubes (none in the group I ride with).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.