Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this problem with the high pressure shock pump Scott supplied with my 08 Ransom 20. Seems the crimped connection between the schrader valve and the hose is a weak point as I've blown the valve off the hose a couple of times and from what I've read I'm not the only one to have this problem. Unfortunately Scott seems to be the only supplier of the 600 psi pump needed for the Ransom. Before I plunk down $$ to order a replacement pump does anyone know if Scott has done anything to address this issue?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nope not that I know of. My dealer sold me my first pump which I ruined on the third or fourth use. I tried patching it up with a hose clamp but I didn't trust it after that. Just ended up getting a new one.

BTW, the only times it's blown off for is is when I'm pumping the positive chamber, with the negative chamber already filled. From what I've read, that is a big no-no. Always check positive chamber first, pump that and then check and pump negative chamber. I haven't had a problem with the new pump after following this guideline.

·
Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olijay said:
Nope not that I know of. My dealer sold me my first pump which I ruined on the third or fourth use. I tried patching it up with a hose clamp but I didn't trust it after that. Just ended up getting a new one.

BTW, the only times it's blown off for is is when I'm pumping the positive chamber, with the negative chamber already filled. From what I've read, that is a big no-no. Always check positive chamber first, pump that and then check and pump negative chamber. I haven't had a problem with the new pump after following this guideline.
Hmmm... thanks for your response. Actually for me the problem with the pump seems to be when I'm filling the negative chamber after already setting the positive... I'm pretty sure I've always filled them in that order but appreciate the reminder.

I think part of the problem with the Ransom is that you have to bend the hose rather more than I'd like to fill the negative chamber which has to be putting a lot of strain on that crimp. The additional fiddling and with the valve head to decouple it from the hose before unscrewing it can't be helping either.

I guess I'm ordering a new pump and crossing my fingers.. :skep:

Karl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my shock pump do the same so I actually ended up taking it into a scuba diving store and had the hose and crimps replaced with ones designed for dive gear, cost me $30nz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts