Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 120mm Spark that I really like. It's a great all around XC bike that suits my trails and has been a reliable marathon/stage race companion. I was skeptical of TwinLoc at first, but now I'm a total believer. Zero complaints about this bike.

Now, I'm moving from Eastern Canada to British Columbia. I still intend to do some racing, so the Spark will certainly stay in the fleet, but I also know, from having ridden it on my new trail system many times, that the bike isn't ideally suited to some of the rowdier, steeper trails in the area.

I want to stick with Scott and I'm considering a Ransom. My concern is this: will the Ransom be "too much bike" for me? I don't see myself riding chairlifts very often and my rides will often be longish outings with a bunch of climbing on both fire roads and singletrack. to access the long and steep descents. I guess you'd call it "BC cross country" but I also want to keep my options open and try out the gnarlier stuff too.

I don't have a lot of experience with this category of bikes, but I did recently do a short ride on a Ransom over some very rough (but mostly flatish) singletrack. I was impressed with how "small" this "big" bike rode. I expected it to pedal like a DH bike and it didn't seem to. The TwinLoc certainly helped here.

I have not ridden a Genius, but I worry that it will be too close in capability to my trusty Spark. Though I do see that Scott is spec'ing a Fox 36 on the Genius next year.

Sorry for the rambling... Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Nope. The Ransom is a perfect all arounder. Have done tons of 2-3000' climbs. Set the twin lock to the 120mm Trail setting and rock on! A little lighter Trail wheel/tires will help a bunch too. Currently have WeAreOne Agents with a Conti Kaiser/TrailKing combo. Pretty Silly how good this bike climbs for how well it destroys the downs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I use my Ransom for everything. Most of my rides involve pedaling up 2500’-5000’. Mostly fire rd climbs. I currently have heavy DD casing tires on but I still have no complaints when climbing this beast. Twinloc really lets you have the best of both worlds. Even in wide open mode it pedals well. Obviously weight shifts will get the suspension moving but strictly pedaling forces don’t affect it that much. They really nailed the geometry on this bike. It just feels really balanced. It’s going to be more fun on steep and rowdy terrain but doesn’t feel like a pig on flatter/buffed out tracks either. Since you already have the spark I think the Ransom would be a better choice for you. Especially if you end up taking on those gnarlier trails at some point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would rather go for a Genius, it's a great middle ground between Spark and Ransom. I already experiencing the Genius quite big, slack and plush compared to a Spark.

But i guess most people here will recommend you to buy the longest & slackest bike (ie Ransom), it's the trend right now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't see myself riding chairlifts very often and my rides will often be longish outings with a bunch of climbing on both fire roads and singletrack. to access the long and steep descents.
The Ransom will be too much bike.

What you're describing is exactly what the Genius was made to do. It's perfect for what you're describing. Easy to climb, but comes alive on the descents. Now that the 2020-lineup will all be getting the Fox 36, I can't think of a better option for you.

Like @SLVR mentioned, the Genius is a big bike already. With 29" wheels, it was in fact just as long as my previous 27.5" Gambler. Like I said, it's a big bike! Something to consider if you like more technical narrow climbs. Personally I could never see myself on a 170mm Ransom for trail riding. Just doesn't make sense.

Ransom is the trend right now, but I believe the Genius will be much better suited and ultimately more fun.

...The Genius can handle a lot! Check out Scotty McLaughland on his Genius Tuned in Whistler on YouTube.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was part of the people saying careful, there is too much of a bike and we should be careful with the trend to bigger longer bike.

But now i own a ransom as a one quiver bike. I will buy a set of light wheel with light tire for some raid adventure.
But even with the big heavy wheelset and tire the twinlock is insane and the bike feels light.

I was planning to reduce the travel to 160 at the front but its not even needed.

If i want to buy a 2nd bike that will be a gravel bike with no suspension.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Ransom will be too much bike.

What you're describing is exactly what the Genius was made to do. It's perfect for what you're describing. Easy to climb, but comes alive on the descents. Now that the 2020-lineup will all be getting the Fox 36, I can't think of a better option for you.

Like @SLVR mentioned, the Genius is a big bike already. With 29" wheels, it was in fact just as long as my previous 27.5" Gambler. Like I said, it's a big bike! Something to consider if you like more technical narrow climbs. Personally I could never see myself on a 170mm Ransom for trail riding. Just doesn't make sense.

Ransom is the trend right now, but I believe the Genius will be much better suited and ultimately more fun.

...The Genius can handle a lot! Check out Scotty McLaughland on his Genius Tuned in Whistler on YouTube.
Really comes down to your local trails and your riding style. Obviously if your trails aren't steep and rowdy the Ransom is too much bike. But if they are and you like to go fast there is no reason why it can't be your "trail bike".

·
Registered
125 Posts
was just faced with the same decision. I currently have a spark RC (with step 34) for xc and racked my brain between a Ransom and Genius for my bigger bike. Put a Genius 910 on my LBS's booking yesterday. I have demo'd a Genius for a few Gravity events this year and its a beast. The 2020's have a 36 and the spec of the 910 is significantly better then the Ransom 910 and for less $$$......full 12 speed XT drivetrain and Revelstoke 1.5's versus Eagle GX and Revelstoke 2.0's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would add a Genius
had 6 of them and in 2015 I also had the LT which is the equivalent of the Ransom now
you need to ride really fast to enjoy such a big bike, and the Genius will be more playfull and handle somewhat 'easier' at lower speeds around obstacles

I guess if your riding style evolves towards riding really fast on rougher trails you might want to step up to a Ransom, but I guess that will take you 2 to 3 years

·
Registered
319 Posts
was just faced with the same decision. I currently have a spark RC (with step 34) for xc and racked my brain between a Ransom and Genius for my bigger bike. Put a Genius 910 on my LBS's booking yesterday. I have demo'd a Genius for a few Gravity events this year and its a beast. The 2020's have a 36 and the spec of the 910 is significantly better then the Ransom 910 and for less $$$......full 12 speed XT drivetrain and Revelstoke 1.5's versus Eagle GX and Revelstoke 2.0's.
Whats the difference between these different revelstoke wheels that scott specs on bikes? I dont find info. All i find is revelstoke 1 and thats with carbon rim.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Whats the difference between these different revelstoke wheels that scott specs on bikes? I dont find info. All i find is revelstoke 1 and thats with carbon rim.

Also, where do you find the specs for 2020 genius?

Sorry my off topic questions..

·
Registered
497 Posts
I haven’t been able to find any info on the 1.5 revelstoke wheels that came on my 900 tuned Ransom despite lots of searching. Been pounding on them for a few months now and while they have stayed fairly true the rear is dented up pretty bad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Any links to 2020 bikes? Looking at a closeout deal on a 2019 but if i could get a 2020 Genius with XT instead of having to pay for X)! would consider

·
Registered
71 Posts
the ransom got a makeover or whatever for the 2019 year and i feel like that is why it came on strong, when do they plan on doing the same to the genius or is that what they did for 2020? the genius is basically a small ransom or it has not gotten the updated changes that the new ransom got?

·
Registered
319 Posts
the ransom got a makeover or whatever for the 2019 year and i feel like that is why it came on strong, when do they plan on doing the same to the genius or is that what they did for 2020? the genius is basically a small ransom or it has not gotten the updated changes that the new ransom got?
Current version Genius came one year before Ransom, 2018.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
FWIW, I've ridden my Ransom on 6-8 hour back country Alpine rides all Summer long.

Lower the handlebars a bit and stay on the high side of sag it will work great.
You can definitely save a few oz from the stock wheels though.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I use a toe strap to lower the front end for long climbs and that helps a big bike be an all day high alpine machine. The Ransom has the best climbing and pedaling manners of any enduro bike because of its shock and the light frame (Tuned) is the basis for a sub-30lb bike. Ah, there's the key to building an enduro bike that isn't a sluggish trail bike, being able to afford a light build that keeps all the durability you expect from the genre while weighing the same as most of the 140-150mm trail bikes your buddies are riding. If you can't afford a high end build don't expect a 170mm, 29" bike to be anything but beastly on the climbs.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I use a toe strap to lower the front end for long climbs and that helps a big bike be an all day high alpine machine. The Ransom has the best climbing and pedaling manners of any enduro bike because of its shock and the light frame (Tuned) is the basis for a sub-30lb bike. Ah, there's the key to building an enduro bike that isn't a sluggish trail bike, being able to afford a light build that keeps all the durability you expect from the genre while weighing the same as most of the 140-150mm trail bikes your buddies are riding. If you can't afford a high end build don't expect a 170mm, 29" bike to be anything but beastly on the climbs.
I hope you're kidding? You use a tow strap to lower the front end? LOL... Literally one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. Sorry, don't mean to call you out but that's real bad advice.

The ransom IS a trail bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.