Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see how far I could get up the Ranger Creek Trail before snow stopped me -- I got 4 miles from the parking lot at Buck Creek to about 4,300 feet. This is just where you can begin to see some of the 2017 fire damage. It's melting fast but I was still about a mile from the old shelter site.
I'll try again in a couple weeks.
BTW, Skookum and White River Trail are both in great shape.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always appreciate your updates Jack.
Thanks - I love it down there.
Another interesting thing I came across was some recent trail work - a couple rebuilt switchbacks and a redo of one very short rooty technical section that lots of riders bypassed by cutting the trail. Not sure who or when this was done(probably last fall?) but I want to thank the folks responsible. As someone who has done some trail work - I know these rebuild took some serious time and manpower. Thanks.

Nature Natural environment Natural landscape Leaf Plant community

Leaf Soil Forest Trail Terrestrial plant

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community

Nature Wood Natural environment Leaf Natural landscape

Nature Natural environment Forest Soil Nature reserve

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great news! How many blow downs were there?
Just one wild one only .75 miles from Buck Creek. And another where the log had been cut a yr or two ago and had slid down onto the trail again-3.5 miles from the bottom. But remember, I did not get all the way to the shelter - intel is incomplete.

Nature Vegetation Natural environment Wood Natural landscape

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thinking of riding there this weekend. Do you think Ranger is clear of snow now to the former shelter site?

I've never ridden Palisades. Is it a crazy idea to climb Palisades and descend Ranger (and then return back by Skookum Flats)? It'll be unfortunate if there is a snow at the top. Otherwise I'll default to climbing on Ranger as long as I can.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Thinking of riding there this weekend. Do you think Ranger is clear of snow now to the former shelter site?

I've never ridden Palisades. Is it a crazy idea to climb Palisades and descend Ranger (and then return back by Skookum Flats)? It'll be unfortunate if there is a snow at the top. Otherwise I'll default to climbing on Ranger as long as I can.
You only can go about 5 miles up FS 72 (out of 10 miles) due to snow, hence Palisades will have snow on the back side at least. It looks clear by the cliff side though. Riding up Palisades imho would be hard and not very fun. We usually climb Ranger and go down Palisades. Ranger is clear at least to Little Ranger lookout at looked good past it but don't know if you can get to the former shelter yet. Skookum and White River are in good shape now.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Up Palisades /down ranger is actually my favorite earn-your turns route, for a few reasons;
  • The stairs etc at the bottom of Palisades require some hiking in either direction. Might as well go up & start with the hike-a-bike.
  • Above that, Palisades is rolly and actually a really nice scenic climb.
  • Ranger's all DH, and You're going mostly down on the white river trail to finish the loop.

That's the route I preferred- start at the bottom of Palisades, climb that, down ranger and then white river.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Up Palisades /down ranger is actually my favorite earn-your turns route, for a few reasons;
  • The stairs etc at the bottom of Palisades require some hiking in either direction. Might as well go up & start with the hike-a-bike.
  • Above that, Palisades is rolly and actually a really nice scenic climb.
  • Ranger's all DH, and You're going mostly down on the white river trail to finish the loop.

That's the route I preferred- start at the bottom of Palisades, climb that, down ranger and then white river.
I might have to try that route, once! So many spots that I would have to hike a bike after the stair area though. I'm maybe not the strongest climbe!
Back to the OP's question about it being doable this weekend. There will be enough snow to make it questionable if doing it will be worth it. Maybe go up White River and Ranger and if you make it to the shelter (not sure) ride .9 miles to the first cliff view and back to Ranger down White River.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I usually go up ranger and down palisades. Ranger is all switchbacks which makes it hard to maintain speed on it. Palisades is pretty flowy and has really nice lines and little rocks and roots to pop of.

I had to go down Palisades chainless last year and it was some of the most fun I've had on the bike ever.

You do have to hike down the stairs at the bottom of palisades. but it's only a short bit.
Any route you chose it's a hell of a ride and the views at the cliffs are amazing. makes for a great lunch spot.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I usually go up ranger and down palisades. Ranger is all switchbacks which makes it hard to maintain speed on it. Palisades is pretty flowy and has really nice lines and little rocks and roots to pop of.

I had to go down Palisades chainless last year and it was some of the most fun I've had on the bike ever.

You do have to hike down the stairs at the bottom of palisades. but it's only a short bit.
Any route you chose it's a hell of a ride and the views at the cliffs are amazing. makes for a great lunch spot.
Hey pedrosals7, we ran into you guys at one of the view spots when your chain was broke last year. We assured you that it would be fine!! Glad you enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey pedrosals7, we ran into you guys at one of the view spots when your chain was broke last year. We assured you that it would be fine!! Glad you enjoyed the ride.
oh nice! it was actually the freehub that was destroyed. But yeah it was a great day. it was my friend's first time out there and the weather was gorgeous, no way I would turn back.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thank you all! I really appreciate the responses. It looks like circumstances have changed and I'll probably only ride locally this weekend. But I certainly consider going to Ranger/Palicades in the upcoming week or two. And will report.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ranger Creek is clear of snow, a few tiny patches that will melt this afternoon/tomorrow. The burn section is sketchy. Take an already narrow trail, removal all soft looking vegetation and add additional erosion.

Tree down on the palisades ridge:

Report of Palisades from a hiker I met at the top was that there's about a 1/2-1/4 mile of snow through the clear cut section. I rode back down Ranger.

Suntop was clear up to the highest road crossing where the snow got deep. Biking up Suntop sucks, for some reason the grade/tread just doesn't seem rideable for the bottom section I went up. Definitely not doing Suntop again without a shuttle plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Ranger Creek is clear of snow, a few tiny patches that will melt this afternoon/tomorrow. The burn section is sketchy. Take an already narrow trail, removal all soft looking vegetation and add additional erosion.

Tree down on the palisades ridge:

Report of Palisades from a hiker I met at the top was that there's about a 1/2-1/4 mile of snow through the clear cut section. I rode back down Ranger.

Suntop was clear up to the highest road crossing where the snow got deep. Biking up Suntop sucks, for some reason the grade/tread just doesn't seem rideable for the bottom section I went up. Definitely not doing Suntop again without a shuttle plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been following this thread for awhile now.

I guess I just missed you sometime today. I ran into the same hiker and he said another biker thought about Palisades but change his mind and turned back! lol.

I'll send you a pm later in the season and get you shuttled up to Sun Top. It's the only way you want to do that ride!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.