Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had a completely random thought while browsing prices of other collectibles. After looking at what I thought were pretty crazy prices for vintage Hot Wheels, it struck me that bikes have huge intrinsic value compared to almost any other collectible. My wandering mind immediately took me to a doomsday scenario, where I wondered just how much that vintage Hot Wheels car would be worth in a post-apocalyptic world. Other collectibles would be worthless as well- like art, furniture, that vintage X-Wing fighter, and all those baseball cards. Even cars would be worthless, if a more realistic non-Mad Max/no oil scenario took place. Bikes would prove to be extremely valuable as modes of transportation. Bikes that were once museum pieces would be worth more in use than on display. That vintage Eddy Merckx road bike would be taken down from the rafters and ridden- until the roads started to deteriorate. Vintage mountain bikes would then be worth more than vintage road bikes for the sake of practicality. First Flight's collection would be out getting dirty again. Even bikes that nobody wants to ride, like the notorious Huffy Stalker, would be fought over.

So yeah. Random thought to say the least. But this random thought has a point- our "collectibles" are actually useful. We can take any one of our pristine museum pieces and ride the snot of it. Use it like it was intended. How many Star Wars collectors actually play with their collection? Wait, that might be a dumb question...

photo courtesy of burning man

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
In the world you're talking about firearms and ammo would be worth more than gold. You can always walk. But throwing Hot Wheels at the bad guys aren't going to do much.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guns and ammo would be valuable, but that value would end as soon as the ammo ran out, unless someone could start making new bullets. Bikes are so simple to maintain I can see them always being useful and valuable, though replacement tubes may pose a problem. I was just thinking about what something is really worth, bottom line. Not just because it's pretty or rare.

My Little Ponies are definitely an exception because they provide universal joy and happiness. Especially if you brush their long manes and tails.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
you have no need to worry. Whether it be pre or post-apocalyptic, I would never take those from that special shelf. ;)
Its never too late to start collecting. The market is just starting to hit its stride (ha ha get it).

I don't mean to sound arrogant but...I'm the Fillet-brazed of the My Little Pony world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.