Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vertical Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in the middle of a 7 mile loop yesterday, I called the wifey to see if she was waiting in the parking lot yet or if I could tack a few more miles onto the ride. I got back to the car at the end of the ride to find I no longer had a cell phone in the seat bag :confused:

I called with her phone a couple of times to see if mine was buried in my pack or I had missed it under the seat...nothing. This is really not good, because I just had a phone interview out of state, and I'm hoping for another call about the job. :eek:

So I headed back out onto the trail to where I called her from to find it. I told her to wait 10 minutes and call my cell continuously until I got back. I never found a thing except some random guy who asked me what I was looking for. I finally gave up and headed back pretty bummed at this point.

But when I got back to the car, "Random Guy" was there with my phone. He found it ringing on the side of the trail after he passed me. Sweet! I only had 31 missed calls...thank God for a persistent wife. :D

So if you're out there, thanks again, Random Guy.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Speaking of cell phones and trails

I almost never use my cell phone. Friends used to complain to me that I never ever answer my cell phone, so what's the point of it. Most finally stopped trying to get me that way. So its rare that my phone ever rings, unless I've specifically told someone to call me that way. But anytime I'm mountain biking alone (which is much more often these days) my wife makes sure I take my phone with me in case something happens (I've never said this to her but I can only imagine that for this "something" to be bad enough that I'd need to call I probably would be unable to, either I would be incapacitated somehow or there would be no service)

Anyways, back in April, after a very long bout of not riding, I finally manage to get away from it all for a few hours. I was involved in hanging my artwork in an artshow at the time, for which we had a lot of prepwork, and I had finally finished my part in the work. However, other involved were always in need of my advice (which is really more like "here you do it for me since you seem to know what you're doing, while I go get myself some lunch), etc, so I gave them my cell figuring I rarely have it on anyway and I needed a break. Naturally I take the cell phone when I head out for the ride, stuff it into my camelback, and off I go. I'm maybe 15 minutes into the ride, alone on the singletrack, when I hear this cell phone start ringing. After the 5th or so ring I'm thinking, man I wish whoever the jerk is with the phone out on the trail would answer the darn thing, its ruining my tranquil ride. It finally dawns on me that its my phone.

·
Vertical Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Finch Platte said:
[Cell Phones] And trails.

Suck.

fp
Cell phones and trails I drove 100 miles to get to, trying to share ride time between me, my wife and my 8-year old, while whoever is left at the trail head watches, feeds, toilets and changes the clothes on my 3 and 5 year old after they fall in the creek...rule.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I know exactly what cha mean.

Everytime I go for a ride, someone calls. They never call on a friday night, when I'm bored.... noooo.. they have to disturb my alone-nature time when I can actually think with a clear head. I finally got so sick of it that I just left it on buzz, instead of ring. Now I don't hear it... in my camelbak... and I dont pick it up. I usually juss' call em back later.

Figures... lol.

-Matt

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
For those who don't care for cell phone interuptions and such cell phones have a feature "RINGER OFF". I couldn't imagine not having a cell phone on solo rides. I ride w/ a co worker that leaves his on & answers every call - now that sucks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Almost all of my road riding is solo and a fair amount of mtn biking is solo. I crashed my road bike at dusk one time and broke my collar bone. Just happened to have my cell phone with me (and luckily had coverage too) and was able to call my wife. Now, I never ride without my phone, trial or road. But I also use my phone only for business or emergencies, so I rarely, rarely get calls. I manage hazardous waste for a living, so if it is a business call, it may be an emergency.

·
No time to ride.
55 Posts
BigHit-Maniac said:
... Everytime I go for a ride, someone calls. They never call on a friday night, when I'm bored.... noooo.. they have to disturb my alone-nature time when I can actually think with a clear head. ...
Welcome to the club, dude.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Finch Platte said:
And trails.

Suck.

fp
Its annoying but it can really make all the difference in an emergency, and its a must for solo rides. I just turn the ringer or phone off since I won't be answering it anyway. During group rides I don't take it sometimes but on solo rides it can make the difference between getting help or lying helplessly in a rock garden until the next rider passes by a day or two later :) During one particular road ride that involved 4 flats it made the difference between walking 3 miles to get picked up or 20 miles to get back home.

·
2,548 Posts
UpRocks said:
Somewhere in the middle of a 7 mile loop yesterday, I called the wifey to see if she was waiting in the parking lot yet or if I could tack a few more miles onto the ride. I got back to the car at the end of the ride to find I no longer had a cell phone in the seat bag :confused:

I called with her phone a couple of times to see if mine was buried in my pack or I had missed it under the seat...nothing. This is really not good, because I just had a phone interview out of state, and I'm hoping for another call about the job. :eek:

So I headed back out onto the trail to where I called her from to find it. I told her to wait 10 minutes and call my cell continuously until I got back. I never found a thing except some random guy who asked me what I was looking for. I finally gave up and headed back pretty bummed at this point.

But when I got back to the car, "Random Guy" was there with my phone. He found it ringing on the side of the trail after he passed me. Sweet! I only had 31 missed calls...thank God for a persistent wife. :D

So if you're out there, thanks again, Random Guy.
Am not the "random guy", but figured I'd post a reply that's more on-topic. That is VERY COOL that the "random guy" was able to help ya out - if only a few more folks went a lil out of their way to help one another, maybe, just maybe, we can save this ol' world of ours. Good to know there are still some good samaritans out there - I try to help folks when I can however I can (short of giving $$$ to strangers unless their story is convincing, which it rarely if ever is...hehheh). Again, congrats on having your phone found - had to be a good feeling, eh ???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts