Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Ride On!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into this little guy (about 1ft) at Granite Bay today, so heads up folks. Used to freak out when I ran into them, not so much any more.
On the plus side I ran into some poison oak today and have yet to break out, maybe getting lucky and developing some resistance:thumbsup:

Soil Sand Terrestrial animal Groundcover Subshrub

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ran into this little guy (about 1ft) at Granite Bay today, so heads up folks. Used to freak out when I ran into them, not so much any more.
On the plus side I ran into some poison oak today and have yet to break out, maybe getting lucky and developing some resistance:thumbsup:

View attachment 884121
eeeeeewwwwww!! Maybe more like 30". Snakes really give me the creeps. I saw one of those slithering devil creatures today as well.;)

And as for the poison oak... give it 3days before making any comments one way or the other. I wish you the best, that sh!t is sneaky.

·
Ride On!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eeeeeewwwwww!! Maybe more like 30". Snakes really give me the creeps. I saw one of those slithering devil creatures today as well.;)

And as for the poison oak... give it 3days before making any comments one way or the other. I wish you the best, that sh!t is sneaky.
Where were you riding today? and... 3 days, man thought I was out of woods, now my damn phantom itching is starting LOL

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Where were you riding today? and... 3 days, man thought I was out of woods, now my damn phantom itching is starting LOL
I notice it after 1.5-2 days, but I've had it multiple times a years for the last 12+ years. The real unmistakable itching and rash usually shows up at day 3. One good test is to run the area you think you may have it under hot water. If you start itching under the water.....panic.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Once the itching starts, I actually get about 5 hours relief from using a blow dryer on my poison oak rashes. It feels awesome for a few seconds (like really weird kinda good ;)) Then it cools down and stops itching for 4-6 hours.

O.P. I was riding in JMP when I saw the snake.

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
Once the itching starts, I actually get about 5 hours relief from using a blow dryer on my poison oak rashes. It feels awesome for a few seconds (like really weird kinda good ;)) Then it cools down and stops itching for 4-6 hours.

O.P. I was riding in JMP when I saw the snake.
Try a really really hot shower. You're in for a treat. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try a really really hot shower. You're in for a treat. :)
The heat of the blow dryer on high, focussed about 3" away until just before it melts the skin beats the snot out of the high heat from the shower..... just saying. My wife says i'm cheating on her with her 1400watt Hot Tools Professional dryer.:thumbsup:

O.P.

JMP = Joaquin Miller Park in Oakland

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
...as far as PO the more you get it, the more susceptible you are.
Maybe initially, but you can get desensitized. After hiking/running through it A LOT for a few decades, I haven't gotten it in a about 2 decades (although, no, I won't take the "Lick It" dare).

Snakes are cool, and one of the few things I miss about Orange County! I don't think I've seen one in the year I've been back in the Bay Area. I guess the banana slugs chase 'em off.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Awesome on the snake sighting. My record is sighting 6 rattlesnakes in a day on a May afternoon in Auburn 2 years ago.....it seems when you're climbing up Stagecoach you tend to see a lot of snakes. My Granite Bay daily record is 3...all big fatties....:yikes:

Ticks: Yes they're out....check youself before you wreck yourself after every ride.

PO: Just don't run into it :) Tecnu if you do :thumbsup:

Star Thistle: It's growing and the fun with this is upcoming. I understand the
Cronin Ranch land managers are about to burn a significant area of this dreaded plant in order to reduce some of it. They'll never get all of it.....

·
Ride On!
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some awesome snake pics:thumbsup: Going have to keep an eye out, anyone heard of any mountain bikers getting bit? With regards to the PO, it's been three days, no itch/bumps:cool: Looks like I escaped it this time.

·
GONE
27,454 Posts
Rattlesnakes are wonderful, as are all snakes. Anyone here who is afraid of snakes, come ride with me. I will gently capture any snake we encounter and you will see that they are really cool animals. My rule for this is that you have to touch it before I release it though...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Rattlesnakes are wonderful, as are all snakes. Anyone here who is afraid of snakes, come ride with me. I will gently capture any snake we encounter and you will see that they are really cool animals. My rule for this is that you have to touch it before I release it though...
That's what this guy said

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.