Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just put an Ardent on the rear of my bike to replace a Rampage. I when I dropped the pressure, I noticed a significant loss in resistance on dry/dusty hardpack.

So, is it my imagination, or is the Ardent just that much faster. Also, How does the Ardent do on the front?

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I am currently running the Ardent up front with a crossmark out back and am happy with it on my F/S. I ran it in the rear for a short time and it was ok but think I like it better upfront but I have another Ardent I plan on putting on the rear once the nice hardpack summer trails are bye bye...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
Hi all. Just put an Ardent on the rear of my bike to replace a Rampage. I when I dropped the pressure, I noticed a significant loss in resistance on dry/dusty hardpack.

So, is it my imagination, or is the Ardent just that much faster. Also, How does the Ardent do on the front?
I am running the same combination on my Mamasita.
Only "problem" I have is that the Ardent will spinout on steeper climbs (loose over hardpack) but overall I am very happy.
Have not tried the Ardent in front though.
I have a spare so may try it for a rocky race I have coming up.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Try the IRD panaracer as front tire.... Fantastic. I have tried on the front Nevegals, Crossmarks, Wirewolf LT, Racing Ralph 2.4 and the panaracer so far has been the best front.

Rear - Crossmark 'cause the small block 8 does not fit on stans arches :-(

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Ardent as a front tire. It rolls faster than a Rampage. If your terrain is really loose - stick with the Rampy. If it's hard pack or loose over hard, go Ardent.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been racing the Ardent up front with a Crossmark out back all season. It's a great combo in my opinion for both geared or SS racing. The Ardent sealed up like a vault using Stans with Bonty rim strips on Rhythm wheels. IMO, it's a nice compliant tire with big volume. Also, the spacing between treads allows it to clear mud quickly and it corners nicely. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
No Clue Crew
7,351 Posts
I run Ardents front/rear. Love them. Best 29er tires I've personally used, with Rampages in second. Slap 'em on Flows with yellow tape, some goop, hit 'em with the air compressor and never think about them again.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Blatant said:
I run Ardents front/rear. Love them. Best 29er tires I've personally used, with Rampages in second. Slap 'em on Flows with yellow tape, some goop, hit 'em with the air compressor and never think about them again.
Ardent + Ardent on one bike and am happy with it for my conditions. Would like to try the 2.4 Ardent up front when available to peons like me and not just prototype asswipe testers

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
rampage is a really slow roller out back. i actually just switched one out for a stout, which i'm now running front and rear, and the stout seems to roll more efficiently.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Ardent + Ardent on one bike and am happy with it for my conditions. Would like to try the 2.4 Ardent up front when available to peons like me and not just prototype asswipe testers
Somebody's testing prototype asswipes?
Sweet, we need some new tech in that industry.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Rampage is a really slow roller on the front let alone the back, hate the grip grip then totally let go on wet rocks compound that Panaracer use and when I dropped the pressure just a fraction to much which wasn't even that soft on 1 descent on the peaks I ripped the valve off twice and ended up walking home.

Really looking forward to the Ardent 2.4 as a front tyre to replace my slow hopefully lesser volumed 1 year old stout.

Liking the look of the Bonty FR 2.3 is it, depending on Volume on both I'll add, bigger the better as long as it'll fit into a Reba SL 06 :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
How are you liking the Stout (front and rear)??? I have

sean salach said:
rampage is a really slow roller out back. i actually just switched one out for a stout, which i'm now running front and rear, and the stout seems to roll more efficiently.
two Stouts that I just bought from Performance on sale but have not put on the bike yet. Have read that the Stout out back is slow and heavy!. Just this Labor Day weekend had two flats front and rear from thorns (on Continental Race Kings) and was thinking about throwing the Stouts on f&r. Riding in loose, rooty, rocky NEPA. Thanks,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Blatant said:
Blatant, what sort of pressure would you go for with this setup ? and whats the max pressure you would go.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
nepanite said:
two Stouts that I just bought from Performance on sale but have not put on the bike yet. Have read that the Stout out back is slow and heavy!. Just this Labor Day weekend had two flats front and rear from thorns (on Continental Race Kings) and was thinking about throwing the Stouts on f&r. Riding in loose, rooty, rocky NEPA. Thanks,
i've been running the stout up front for a year and a half now, so i'll comment on that first. i love it. the traction is unbeatable, and i really don't feel the weight as much as i thought i would. they excell in the kind of terrain you're riding. i'm originally from north jersey, moved up here last year, and the stout was bar none, the best front tire i've ever run in those rocks.

i've only got two rides with the stout out back, and it seems like it rides 'lighter' than the rampage. climbing was noticeable quicker yet oddly with better traction in powdery dry clay/duff and on packed clay singletrack.

i have no idea of the puncture resistance relative to the mt king. i've never run a mtn king and haven't had a thorn flat that i can remember*.

*all praise due to the flat gods, the creators of joy and rotational pleasures, who control the ride, and life in general, with their generous allowances. i don't have any children, but if i did, i would sacrifice my first born to them. if necessary to appease ye great rulers of the rubber, i could sacrifice my neighbors first born...

·
No Clue Crew
7,351 Posts
cagey76 said:
Blatant, what sort of pressure would you go for with this setup ? and whats the max pressure you would go.
I can only tell you what works for me. I'm about 200 geared and ride techy, rocky AZ trails. I run 23 psi front and 28 rear.

·
Meat Clever
678 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
I'm a big fan of the Ardent as a front tire. It rolls faster than a Rampage. If your terrain is really loose - stick with the Rampy. If it's hard pack or loose over hard, go Ardent.
Yes

·
Registered
599 Posts
I will take one of the prototype Ardent's with a beefed up sidewall. I ran Ignitor's no problem, but recently cut an Ardent after installing it only two weeks earlier. That happens sometimes and I realize. I also noticed on the packaging that they took the tire from 120tpi to 60tpi. I don't always notice improved ride quality with thread count, but I do usually notice improved durability. Ironically some of the tubeless casing tires have a lower thread count as well.

I'm kind of done with Maxxis til they improve their sidewalls. I have run the Racing Ralph Snakeskin and feel very happy with the sidewalls on those vs. Schwalbe's paper thin normal versions. I also have been running a Rampage that is 8 months old and have experienced no problems whatsoever with.

Most of the tubeless casing tires are also good sidewall wise, but the sidewalls are notoriously stiff. I guess that is the trade-off though. The RR Snakeskin, WTB Weirwolf or Stout, or Panaracer Rampage seems to blur the line of tough, but smooth riding non-tubeless ready casing tires.

There are others as well that I have ridden, but for all around riding vs. racing, these options are standouts for everyday use setup tubeless.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
The 2.25 Ardent has always been 60 tpi.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts