Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be sub-titled; "A bad day riding is better than a good day at work"

A friend and I met up with two other local riders this morning to explore an area that I had never ridden. Hadn't met them in person, but had exchanged messages with one of them on our local MTBR forum. Very gracious of them to show me around. Not sure they'll ever do it again after today's adventure.

We got about 20 feet out of the parking lot when I had a problem with my rear derailleur cable. (Long story) No sense for everyone miss a ride, so they rode ahead. They were gracious enough to wait for me further up, so I caught up with them after I fixed it. (Cell phones are amazing things!)

They had to continue to wait up for me as I rode like a bozo. (Anyone know where I can get some big red shoes with cleats?) I think I hit every rock and shrub out there. Danged DHX-A was leaking air, so I was riding a chopper. Fixed that, but was still suffering. Finally figured out that one of my front brake pistons wasn't retracting, so the front wheel was dragging pretty badly. No wonder I was already feeling beat. ARRGH!

I was following my friend a little too closely on a great descent when we came to a rock garden. Didn't see it in time, smacked the biggest rock head-on, and barrel roll down a ravine. First major scratches on my Spot and a small gouge in my rocker. Good thing it's black, so I can touch it up with a Magic Marker.

Then a little later I smacked into a shrub, caught a stick in the rear wheel and tore my rear derailleur off. Not the hanger, the derailleur. At this point I was afraid that I'd get struck by lightning out of the clear blue sky and take everyone else out with me.

Because of me the other riders had to miss out on riding a great singletrack. I owe them a beer or three, that's for sure!

In the "I wonder what else could happen" category: We were driving back, passing a semi truck when my buddy suddenly slammed on the brakes and said "Oh, (expletive deleted), we've got a bike off the rack!" Not his, of course. Luckily the Spot touched the ground, but we had a good laugh thinking about how bad it could have been. "Uh, dear sweet wife of mine, I need a new Turner. You see, it bounced off the car, took out the rear windshield and then got run over by a semi!"

Besides all of that, it was an incredible ride. Learned about some great trails and saw three herds of wild horses. I'd like to say that I also met some great new riding buddies, but I'll have to wait and see if they'll ever ride with me again!

HH

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Double H said:
"Uh, dear sweet wife of mine, I need a new Turner. You see, it bounced off the car, took out the rear windshield and then got run over by a semi!"

sounds like you had quite the adventure!

and you know...good riding buddies are the ones who can appreciate the cool trails, and make jokes and still have a good attitude when the sh!t hits the fan! :D i hope your new riding buddies can appreciate that...and if they don't...they're not worth the effort! :);)

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
I can relate

Last week I rode a fav local trail (Kanan/Backbone) and the mishaps were as follows:
  • Chain suck: It was totally my fault, got caught on a sudden climb and tried to shift but missed. The weird thing was, my chain actually ended up on top of the bottom bracket and upper part of the chain in a perfect figure 8. I had to break the chain in order to get it undone, it took three of us to wrest it out again. Then my multi-tool chain breaker broke a tab, so I borrowed my buddies, got going again after a 30 minute break.
  • The first flat: I pinch flatted on a cool little dip/step up/rocky section. No biggie, slap a tube in and go.
  • The second flat: Back tire this time, and it was not your typical trail flat. Somehow, someway (it takes special Magu mojo to do this:bluefrown:) I got a nail in the tire. Now, this is a trail we and probably millions of people have ridden and hiked on over the years. Of course, they don't have the mad skills I have! Here's the culprit:

Another shot:

One more:

How old do you think that is? I'm guessing at least a hundred years, since it was handmade by someone.

I ended up hiking out while they went for a car since we had no more tubes and the hole was too big to patch, not to mention it went thru on two sides of the tire.

Finally, on the way out of the park after my MBU pals left, a ranger comes running up needing help with a couple of out of control dogs who had just attacked a maintenance worker. What a day. A 4 hour ride turned into a 7 hour ordeal.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.....

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
wow! i slept in, rested on the couch, watched the 1st day of the 24 hours of daytona, picked up chinese for dinner then screwed off on here. i did get lost findin king sea for 15 min. they normally deliver but we didnt wanna deal with the 1 1/2 hour wait tonight and discovered they couldnt give good directions to their own joint right in the middle of downtown.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Double H said:
...Anyone know where I can get some big red shoes with cleats?
Sure what size do you wear?

You can have the boots for free if you take my riding partners and their focking cameras.

We all had days like that...I can think of one or two myself.
I gotta say you had one heluva day though! Have some brew and get back out there. Your next ride will be your best.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna pee my pants!

Bikezilla said:
Sure what size do you wear?

You can have the boots for free if you take my riding partners and their focking cameras.

We all had days like that...I can think of one or two myself.
I gotta say you had one heluva day though! Have some brew and get back out there. Your next ride will be your best.
Now THAT'S a hoot!! I'm laughing so hard I'm about to lose bladder control! I gotta be honest - I've been laughing about this all day. Your pic is just extending the fun!

Tell ya what, BZ - you can keep the boots, but I'll take your riding partners, especially if they ride Blue Mountain. I lived in Croton for 6 years and rode those trails all the time. Man, I miss that place.

HH

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
ah...the BZ-in-red-boots-zipper-down-lookin-dapper pic! good times!!! :thumbsup::D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.