Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded their 2018-2019 rallon to the new linkage to make it 160mm in the rear. If so did you also swap out air shaft in your fork to increase it to 170mm. Or anyone ride a 2020 who owned a 18-19 previously

Is it worth the $$$ to make the change? noticeable differences?

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
if you just do the linkage isnt retail 300 bucks? If you want more progressive ride it is worth it imo. no need to worry if you are 160F & 160R bike will still rip.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I bought the new linkage and a DHX2 but accidentally bought the 65mm stroke version. I also did the airshaft swap on my Fox 36 Grip 2 to 170mm. As an all around set up, I don't really think the longer fork was necessary. The added progression with the coil feels amazing but on really steep climbing the front end wandered more. I ended up adding 10mm to my stem length and all is great again. My bike is now 170/170 and I love it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought the new linkage and a DHX2 but accidentally bought the 65mm stroke version. I also did the airshaft swap on my Fox 36 Grip 2 to 170mm. As an all around set up, I don't really think the longer fork was necessary. The added progression with the coil feels amazing but on really steep climbing the front end wandered more. I ended up adding 10mm to my stem length and all is great again. My bike is now 170/170 and I love it.
Does the new link affect the pedaling efficiency?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Does the new link affect the pedaling efficiency?
It pedals just as efficiently as before the change.....and that's even with the change to coil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just installed the linkage upgrade and here are a couple of things i noticed.
All parts are identical to the original linkage other than the side plates with bearings. I found it to be a waste to sell the whole kit and supply me parts that i already had.
There is definitely no change to geometry over old linkage.
Can really feel a change in the beginning of the stroke in the carpark test.
Will get back with a ride report very soon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Be interested to hear an honest feedback of it. I've been holding off pulling the trigger as right now, I'm consistently only using about an 1/8" from the bump stop on my coil shock. Though I"m riding a little harder every time, I think my technique is also improving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So ive had couple of rides with the new linkage and a 170mm fork on my Rallon.
As stated in a previous post, i was disappointed that they sell the whole kit when you really only need the 2 side plates. Everything else in the kit is identical to the original.

But i can honestly say it has improved the bike and im so happy i did it. Ive been struggling to find the feel of this bike but now i feel one with it.
Its retained its lively pop but given the rear a little more plushness off the top and smoothed out the rear completely.
Only thing i changed was added 20psi to the shock (Float X2) and removed 1 volume band.
Nothing has changed on the clickers yet.
Also check your rear axle bearings, mine were pretty much seized. The rest were ok.

One other change ive made was go to a 50mm stem and the longer offset 51mm fork.
For my height 6'2, having the wheel further forward and more weight over the front made a noticeable difference for me.
Maybe with 10mm more reach in the frame, i could make a 40mm stem and 44mm offset work. Currently my bike is dialled and has me frothing for the first time in 12 months.

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
Over 1k views and 9 responses, that may be some kind of a record.

This link is truly confusing as reviews are all over the map. It does change the geo, it doesn't change the geo. Bike radar (I think) said they had to dial in more compression and it "retained" most of it's pop. I wouldn't consider the Rallon very poppy to begin with. How does a link that adds more initial leverage not change how it pedals? The same review said they're reaching for the climbing switch for the first time ever. Do I want this damn link or not lol!

Scott any more input on the link?
How did you determine the geo didn't change? What if you kept the front at 160, any geo change then? Does it climb or squat any differently than before? Any perceptible wallow or mid stroke difference? Do you pedal out a lot of climbs with the bike? Thanks.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Over 1k views and 9 responses, that may be some kind of a record.

This link is truly confusing as reviews are all over the map. It does change the geo, it doesn't change the geo. Bike radar (I think) said they had to dial in more compression and it "retained" most of it's pop. I wouldn't consider the Rallon very poppy to begin with. How does a link that adds more initial leverage not change how it pedals? The same review said they're reaching for the climbing switch for the first time ever. Do I want this damn link or not lol!

Scott any more input on the link?
How did you determine the geo didn't change? What if you kept the front at 160, any geo change then? Does it climb or squat any differently than before? Any perceptible wallow or mid stroke difference? Do you pedal out a lot of climbs with the bike? Thanks.

GEO only changes if you swap the fork to 170mm. With just the link, 160f/160r has the same Geo. As for how it handles, I've only run the new linkage with a longer stroked Fox DHX2 230x65mm which to me handles better than the original link in every aspect, but i'm a really big guy, who only does small to med drops, small jumps, etc, ride terrain in NorCal so climb a lot, techy, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have increased my fork to 170 as I'm no enduro racer and that change did affect the climbing with front end wander...to offset I increased stem length.

You could probably get more feedback in the Orbea Rallon Owner's Club on facebook...more activity there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/241112536428384/

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
^Thanks for the link my man! I had not found that and will definitely be getting on there.

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
Thanks for link(ha). 1 available, wonder how many they made. I reckon if I decide to get one I'll go with that depending on shipping.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.