Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
If you can make it down to Sanford (approx. 30 mi. SE of Raleigh off hwy 1) you can hit San Lee. I have only ridden there a few times but there is nice elevation change (for the Piedmont) and a couple of nice rocky sections (the Gauntlet is pretty tame but the Free Fall is a long and very challenging section, even for advanced riders). I ditto above. Check out www.trianglemtb.com for more info on the trails here.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
I used to do some races in Sanford many years ago...Devil's ridge and some other near there. Are they any good these days? or is San Lee the place to go?

Could you tell me how to get to San Lee? it would be much appreciated.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
yogiprophet said:
I used to do some races in Sanford many years ago...Devil's ridge and some other near there. Are they any good these days? or is San Lee the place to go?

Unfamiliar with Devil's Ridge, but Governor's Creek is near San Lee (other side of Sanford) and they do hold races out there...it is a pretty fast, yet fun trail.

The best way to get to San Lee (and I know this by heart after getting lost my second trip there) is to take 1 south to the Sanford bypass (exit 70 or 71 I think), Exit Kelly (Dr. Rd.???) N/E and go Right at Pumping Station Road.

If you visit www.trianglemtb and navigate the site to the trail, you can download a trail map.

I will be there on Tuesday to get a couple laps in (please let the trails be open!).

Have fun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I rode little river today and it was very dry. Lots of the other trails are rained out right now. San Lee may be OK, it dries out pretty quickly.

I prefer San Lee over Little river, a bit more variety in the trail. Little river is all single track and not-so-flowy, only 1 rock garden, no fast downhill bits. San Lee has more flowy stuff, a couple big rock gardens. Free Fall, a couple longer (for this area) fast down hill sections and if you go clockwise it has some technical climbs at the end (sorta loose and steep) that are lots of fun.

If you have to stay more central to the triangle you can see if crabtree is open www.trianglemtb.com

Hope this helps

FT

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
I wish I was closer to Little River, but I live in South Wake, so Sanford (and pretty much every other triangle trail) is closer for me.
I should mention that Governors Creek and San Lee are never officially closed, though San Lee is in a park with gates that do get locked, though I am not sure of the times. It really is a nice trail...and I second riding it clockwise. If you have thoughts about riding it counter clockwise, I suggest riding it clockwise first...it may give you 2nd thoughts. If you are a really strong rider (w/advanced technical skill) go for it.

·
HTFU!
755 Posts
spec4life said:
Im considering going to campbell university next fall and it sounds like this san lee trail may be near there.

Anyone know?
I took a tour of the campus last year, and I was very impressed (I did have one major problem with the School, but that is for another forum). I later took a flight to California and the Campbell softball team happened to be aboard. Again, very impressed. ;)
Yes, San Lee and Governors Creek will be the closest trails to you (in the Sanford area) and then the Harris Lake trails north of you. You are probably looking at 15 miles or so to get to any of the three trails I mentioned.
I am not familiar with trails in the Fayetteville area but I am sure that once you get there, you will find plenty of other mtbr's to help you out.
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
yogiprophet said:

Devil's Ridge is no longer. They harvested the timber several years ago, and it never got recovered. Gov's Creek is in the same area.

San Lee is very near the interesection of Kelly Road and Pumping Station Road. Since I don't know where you are coming from, you can probably find it best by mapquesting this intersection. or you could go to trianglemtb.com and find Sanford Area Trails in the trails section..

To the OP, Raleigh has several good trails. I like the Sanford trails because I live here. newlight is great, as is BeaverDam, but they are far from me. Crabtree and Harris Lake are more tame, but can be very fun at higher speed.

My favorite trail in the area is "Carolina North" (aka Chapel Hill Trails).

I also really like I-40, as it leads to Pisgah, and indirectly to great trails in northwestern VA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.