Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grettings!
I have started a small company in Park City, UT called RakAttach.
We build swing arm adapters for bike racks, cargo trays and moto-trays. The adapter fits in a standard 2" receiver.
Three sizes (S/M/L) depending on width of vehicle. I have posted some pics and link to our webpage.
I hope this makes your life easier!
http://www.rakattach.com
[email protected]
Thanks!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Mode of transport Automotive exterior Automotive carrying rack Bicycle frame Fender Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Property Bicycle frame Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive decal Logo Bumper

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
Thule and Yakima make a similar fold out arm, but this looks like you can use it with any rack on the market...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have started a small company in Park City, UT called RakAttach.
Cool. Always great to see entrepreneurship!

I have a Stowaway2 cargo box with a similar mechanism, and have often thought about mounting 1up trays to one of their frames, but this solves it. Well done.

I like you you have the pad under the receiver tube... I assume that keeps it pretty quite?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Great idea!

When I bought my rack a few years back for my 2010 Jeep Wrangler, I need a mechanism like this and was extremely limited in my rack options. I ended up with a Thule Vertex Swing. Yakima has a similar rack too. The RakAttach would have opened up several other options at a much lower pricepoint than the Thule.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thule and Yakima make a similar fold out arm, but this looks like you can use it with any rack on the market...
Yes, most racks fit well- we have had some issues with the NorthShore-6. A cargo tray or single moto tray fits well too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Always great to see entrepreneurship!

I have a Stowaway2 cargo box with a similar mechanism, and have often thought about mounting 1up trays to one of their frames, but this solves it. Well done.

I like you you have the pad under the receiver tube... I assume that keeps it pretty quite?
Yes, you are correct the wear pad allows the weight to be transferred on/off the bushings more gently and it also keeps the arms snug when clamped closed.

·
Rocks belong
5,336 Posts
Would you recommend a small or medium on the back of a '98 Jeep TJ Wrangler?

Pricing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you recommend a small or medium on the back of a '98 Jeep TJ Wrangler?

Pricing?
Thanks for your interest in the RakAttach. We currently have all sizes in stock (S/M/L) and the medium is probably best for the Jeep. Price is $375 and includes a locking hitch pin and anti-rattle clamp. Shipping via FedEx ground varies depending on location. I have a question about the rear tire mount on your Wrangler's door. What is the distance from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the tire. And... how far does the tire stick out from the bumper. I ask because the RakAttach swing arm sits about 4" above the receiver and the red clamp handle adds a bit more height. The total height from the stinger is 7" I want to make sure there isn't interference with the spare. If so, I may be able to alter the clamp placement for you. Also, what rack are you using? We have tried very hard to make the RakAttach fit most vehicles but the Jeep has proved tricky because of the rear tire mount. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I just installed one of the large Rakattach adapters to my Sprinter. I have my Thule T2 now plugged into it.

This will eliminate years of frustration when trying to get in and out of the back for things like firewood (I keep a large tub in the back) when at the boon docking sites.

This thing is solid! And Walter is a very customer-friendly business owner.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't know how i missed this thread!

Yes, most racks fit well- we have had some issues with the NorthShore-6. A cargo tray or single moto tray fits well too!
Walter -

What issues do you have with the NorthShore-6? I was ready to dump my NSR6 in favor for a ReconRack 5 with their soon to be released swing out system but if this works with the NRS-6, I'm ready to buy!

needs to go on this beast
Aluminess tire carrier with a 35" full size spare on the back.
clearance shouldn't be an issue but let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't recall who, but someone else already makes something like that.
It was MWE Racks. They used to advertise in the mags... tried numerous times to contact them with no response.
Site is still up but I dont think they are in business anymore.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was MWE Racks. They used to advertise in the mags... tried numerous times to contact them with no response.
Site is still up but I dont think they are in business anymore.
I've tried on and off over the last 3-years to reach MWE Racks to no success. I have seen a few of their racks pop-up for sale used .... in the end, it was easier to develop my own.

·
Tires
546 Posts
Price is $375 + Shipping via FedEx ground!
Whoa. Is it made in China? Should have tail-lights, brake-lights, and license plate holder with light (all LED) for a quarter of that price. Offer free shipping and I'd buy one for $89.00 delivered.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
pretty sick...just picked up a new full size truck and this is exactly what i need to access cargo. have a 1up rack that i haven't even used yet, bikes just getting thrown in the truck bed, just waiting to go on a longer road trip! oh yeh, we finally had a decent ski season in norcal (another excuse not to ride)!

@rakattach, is size large the best for full size pickups? thx.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts