Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
GONE
26,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for all the DH guys who love to get all muddy and wet and messy, looking more like bigfoot at the bottom of the trail with 10 coats of mud and crap allover you....

.....IT"S THE RAINY SEASON: A great time to get your broken bike into your LBS for repairs and servicing before Spring returns. They really need your support!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Except for all the DH guys who love to get all muddy and wet and messy, looking more like bigfoot at the bottom of the trail with 10 coats of mud and crap allover you....

.....IT"S THE RAINY SEASON: A great time to get your broken bike into your LBS for repairs and servicing before Spring returns. They really need your support!
R U High ???

In SoCal it rains like a day or two and then you start riding...not wait till to spring

·
GONE
26,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
R U High ???

In SoCal it rains like a day or two and then you start riding...not wait till to spring
So funny!

S.M.T.,

Either you are a DH'er, or you just missed it.

YES, the rainy season is now over, it will never, ever, ever rain in So Cal again. You blew it, any business you could have brought to your LBS has now been lost forever. They will probably go out of business now cuz you didn't run in there the moment it started raining.

Now what are you gonna do???? When the time comes that you DO need your LBS to work on your bike(s), it'll probably be warm, clear and sunny just like it is 366 days a year here. I'll be out carving the trails and thinking about you....

THIS POST IS A REMINDER TO HELP SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP AND ALL BUSINESSES IN THIS TIME OF SLOW ECONOMY.

Oh brother,
A-hawg (high on life!)

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
yea.. what if i work on my own bikes?

besides.. i've befriended and tried to support local bikeshops before, and all I got in return was being pushed to the back of the line
"you're a friend, so you'll understand if we take care of all these new customers first, right?"
mind you, i'm never looking for any freebees.. paying customer here, just like those other Joes

so, i'll keep my business in my garage and my wallet thanks very much

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
blender said:
yea.. what if i work on my own bikes?

besides.. i've befriended local bikeshops before, and all I got in return was being pushed to the back of the line
"you're a friend, so you'll understand if we take care of all these new customers first, right?"
mind you, i'm never looking for any freebees.. paying customer here, just like those other Joes

so, i'll keep my business in my garage and my wallet thanks very much
Quoted for truth. Paying someone double to do a half-assed job in the name of a failing economy sounds like a real waste of resources and time to me personally. Perhaps if you are so mechanically inept you can't even figure out how to pop your wheels on and off that would be a good idea.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
yes.. indeed..
what am I missing here?

you say, go support your local bikeshop.. pay them to work on your bike, because they need the money in this tough economy.

Ok, why would I do that? I have a bone to pick with my LBS, I got second rate treatment from them when I needed support.. why should I support them when they are in need?

I will help the cycling industry and our economy by giving my hard earned cash to solid US companies that provide me with solid bike parts and customer service. Sorry, but the LBS will have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
get the point

I don't usually chime in on these heated debates but i can't resist this one.

ambassador is right, the LBS needs your help. It is up to you to determine which ones deserve it but there has to be some in your area that do. I work on my own bikes too. I have never had any service done to my bike at a shop. I pride myself in this. But there are good shops out there. They need to sell stuff and fix bikes. There are also alot of riders that can barely change a flat tube. What will they do. Quit riding?

Guess what, the economy is jacked and all Local small businesses need your help. Bike shop, pizza shop, its all the same.

I am going to let you in on a little secret too. If those LBS's go under, the big US bike companies will too. If the big brands can't get their shop receivables, then they can't pay their terms to the factories in Asia. So those companies will either be going under or end up owned by those factories in part.

So stop arguing about which shops suck and which don't. What will really suck is if they all go out of business and we all have to mail order everything over the internet. There goes any sort of biking community in any area.

Just my $.02.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I did...I bought a new Camelpack....everything else on my 3 bikes are in top condition....they are all wiped down, clean, lubed, and adjusted. The DH bike is dusty because I can't lift it while I heal up after almost dying (literally)

·
GONE
26,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bhoward said:
I don't usually chime in on these heated debates but i can't resist this one.

ambassador is right, the LBS needs your help. It is up to you to determine which ones deserve it but there has to be some in your area that do. I work on my own bikes too. I have never had any service done to my bike at a shop. I pride myself in this. But there are good shops out there. They need to sell stuff and fix bikes. There are also alot of riders that can barely change a flat tube. What will they do. Quit riding?

Guess what, the economy is jacked and all Local small businesses need your help. Bike shop, pizza shop, its all the same.

I am going to let you in on a little secret too. If those LBS's go under, the big US bike companies will too. If the big brands can't get their shop receivables, then they can't pay their terms to the factories in Asia. So those companies will either be going under or end up owned by those factories in part.

So stop arguing about which shops suck and which don't. What will really suck is if they all go out of business and we all have to mail order everything over the internet. There goes any sort of biking community in any area.

Just my $.02.
Thanks Bhoward, I am glad somebody understood what I was saying here.

For everyone else, all I was saying was that our suffering economy needs a shot in the arm from all of us. Spend wisely, but spend when necessary. Far too many businesses are going under.

Also, everyone out there who has had bad service in their LBS, sorry, I had no idea. I have always had good service with mine. Isn't that the way it should be anywhere, anytime for anything??? I too do most of the work on my bike but EVERYONE needs a good, reliable LBS at one time or another.

What a rude awakening for me?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The bike shops in West L.A. don't carry any inventory. I recently needed a 29er tire. There was nothing useful to be found in a 10 mile radius. Bike seat - same story. I'd love to support the LBS but then need to get their acts together.

·
Those who skibike, know..
327 Posts
Im with Ahawg - I love going to my LBS. I know the owner and his dog by first name. He does not carry my brand of ride -- which doesnt matter cuz I work on my bike during the week -- but he does carry most general parts, can do quick fixes, attend to wife's bike needs, discuss life... When I see he is busy, I wait until he is not by browsing through the stuff. When I have been in a time crunch, things get handled quickly.

You cant beat having a good relationship with the LBS, regardless of whether you work your own ride or not. Our sport involves a component of community, right? This forum is one example...

My $.02

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im with Ahawg - I love going to my LBS. I know the owner and his dog by first name. He does not carry my brand of ride -- which doesnt matter cuz I work on my bike during the week -- but he does carry most general parts, can do quick fixes, attend to wife's bike needs, discuss life... When I see he is busy, I wait until he is not by browsing through the stuff. When I have been in a time crunch, things get handled quickly.

You cant beat having a good relationship with the LBS, regardless of whether you work your own ride or not. Our sport involves a component of community, right? This forum is one example...

My $.02

Rogue Rider has the idea. The LBS may not carry your brand of bike. But it they are a good bike shop and can help the bike riders in their area then they deserve support. When it makes sense all riders should at least visit, talk, and see where they are coming from. With out them there is NO community and we are all buying bike parts on I Tunes.

Wouldn't that suck.

think about it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
Thanks Bhoward, I am glad somebody understood what I was saying here.

For everyone else, all I was saying was that our suffering economy needs a shot in the arm from all of us. Spend wisely, but spend when necessary. Far too many businesses are going under.

Also, everyone out there who has had bad service in their LBS, sorry, I had no idea. I have always had good service with mine. Isn't that the way it should be anywhere, anytime for anything??? I too do most of the work on my bike but EVERYONE needs a good, reliable LBS at one time or another.

What a rude awakening for me?!
your a tool. just spending for the sake of spending is stupid. if people want to save their own money, freaking let them. don't make it sound like its a noble thing to do. there is enough bailouts going on with teh government as is. bike shops will come and go, always have, always will.

·
GONE
26,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dft said:
your a tool. just spending for the sake of spending is stupid. if people want to save their own money, freaking let them. don't make it sound like its a noble thing to do. there is enough bailouts going on with teh government as is. bike shops will come and go, always have, always will.
No, dft, you are sadly mistaken. What keeps this country alive is the money WE spend out of our own wallets and the taxes WE pay to keep the governement alive. People are holding their money now more than they should and that is contributing to business failure and an ever slowing economy. Of course, those that have lost their jobs have nothing to contribute but things like government bailouts do not solve or help a thing! The government doesn't have any money to loan out in the first place. Our country is in such debt now, it may never recover and it's dragging the whole planet down with it.

Those companies who recieved bailouts should have been allowed to fail. Reorganization is what those big companies need, not a loan so that they can continue to operate like they have been. They will approach the government for more money in the coming months or they will fail, just watch. The loans are OUR money! We are footing the bill to try and keep those big companies afloat and it's not going to work.

Nobody here is saying "go out and blow all of your money". We are simply saying that your local businesses need your support to survive, that's all. For every business and does not survive this mess, we all suffer a little more.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ambassadorhawg said:
No, dft, you are sadly mistaken. What keeps this country alive is the money WE spend out of our own wallets and the taxes WE pay to keep the governement alive. People are holding their money now more than they should and that is contributing to business failure and an ever slowing economy. Of course, those that have lost their jobs have nothing to contribute but things like government bailouts do not solve or help a thing! The government doesn't have any money to loan out in the first place. Our country is in such debt now, it may never recover and it's dragging the whole planet down with it.

Those companies who recieved bailouts should have been allowed to fail. Reorganization is what those big companies need, not a loan so that they can continue to operate like they have been. They will approach the government for more money in the coming months or they will fail, just watch. The loans are OUR money! We are footing the bill to try and keep those big companies afloat and it's not going to work.

Nobody here is saying "go out and blow all of your money". We are simply saying that your local businesses need your support to survive, that's all. For every business and does not survive this mess, we all suffer a little more.
i ain't gonna argue any more on this. short term spending might be ok, but longer term bad. the US already has negative savings rate again, people SHOULD save more and have more cushion for themselves. but if you want to keep blowing cash on pointless crapt, by all means do so.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.