Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving up to NorCal with some friends this weekend and debating bringing the bikes 'cuz of the recent rain. Down here in SoCal, they often close the trails for 2-3 days to let the ground dry out. I tried calling Annadel & China Camp, but all I got were uninformative recordings. Any of you know (or can guess) if trails will be open to riding on Saturday?

-D.

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
divs said:
Driving up to NorCal with some friends this weekend and debating bringing the bikes 'cuz of the recent rain. Down here in SoCal, they often close the trails for 2-3 days to let the ground dry out. I tried calling Annadel & China Camp, but all I got were uninformative recordings. Any of you know (or can guess) if trails will be open to riding on Saturday?

-D.
Go ask GuruAtma about Annadel as he lives close enough to bike to it and does so regularly. For China Camp, the weather is supposed to let up today and be cloudy for Friday, less so on Saturday with rain returning on Sunday.
www.weather.com-San Rafael
I've ridden China Camp shortly after a rain, no sooner than 24 hours afterward and it hasn't been too bad. Sure there is going to be some mud and puddles, but that's half the fun! :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Wherewolf said:
I ride it a lot and this much rain should not affect it since it has been fairly dry the past few weeks. I'm riding Saturday. Nobody actually closes it anyway.
Yeah, it takes a lot of rain with no dry periods to really make Annadel mucky. They'll be a few puddles but the ground will soak things up pretty well. Marsh trail may be a bit marshy, and Ridge trail may be puddly but everything else should be happy and dry-ish.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GuruAtma said:
Yeah, it takes a lot of rain with no dry periods to really make Annadel mucky. They'll be a few puddles but the ground will soak things up pretty well. Marsh trail may be a bit marshy, and Ridge trail may be puddly but everything else should be happy and dry-ish.
Thanks, guys! I'm jealous of your trails. So about how long a drive is Annadel from the city? Also, are there any trails that would be suitiable for a total beginner, ie not even in very good biking shape?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
SF to Annadel

I live in the city, and it's about a 45-55 min drive to Annadel. I would recommend the Marin Headlands for beginner, lots of hills but it's mostly fire roads, with GREAT views. If you wanted to go to China Camp the front loop of China Camp is beginner friendly as well. If you need trail recommendation to Marin Headlands, or China Camp PM me.

You'll have a great time no matter where you choose!

-Larry

divs said:
Thanks, guys! I'm jealous of your trails. So about how long a drive is Annadel from the city? Also, are there any trails that would be suitiable for a total beginner, ie not even in very good biking shape?

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
divs said:
Assuming you are talking about San Francisco as your starting point, Annadel is about 30-40 minutes away depending on how fast you drive.
China Camp is easier to ride for beginners and is a lot closer in San Rafael.
China Camp: Take 101 North across the GG bridge and go through Marin to San Rafael. Look for the N. San Pedro exit and get off there. Keep heading east, away from the highway into the hills. Don't make any turns. You will eventually see the big sign for China Camp on the left and the kiosk entrance right past it on the right. You can park on the road for free, but keep an eye out for the signs that designate the no parking areas close to the entrance. Most people just park across the street from the entrance where there are no signs or restrictions. For reviews and further info, check out the trail reviews else where here on the site.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
STrackMike said:
Assuming you are talking about San Francisco as your starting point, Annadel is about 30-40 minutes away depending on how fast you drive.
China Camp is easier to ride for beginners and is a lot closer in San Rafael.
Ok, that's not as far/long as I was afraid of. I guess we'll stick with China Camp or Marin if the beginners decide to come along, but otherwise we're heading up to Annadel!

-D.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
divs said:
Ok, that's not as far/long as I was afraid of. I guess we'll stick with China Camp or Marin if the beginners decide to come along, but otherwise we're heading up to Annadel!

-D.
I started riding as a beginner at Annadel, so it's not that bad. You can get up/down to most points by fire road if you need to, or by singletrack if you want. Getting from SF to Annadel in 30 minutes would be quite impressive. I'd guess closer to an hour, but maybe I'm just a slow driver.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Not sure how fast you drive

STrackMike said:
But you would need to go prety quickly to make it in half an hour.

Annadel is in Santa Rosa, which is almost 50 miles from San Francisco, which doesn't include getting to the freeway to begin with. You probably want to allow an hour if you are meeting someone and want to get there in time to unload your bike and prepare to ride.

·
MTBR.com Addict
616 Posts
EBrider said:
But you would need to go prety quickly to make it in half an hour.

Annadel is in Santa Rosa, which is almost 50 miles from San Francisco, which doesn't include getting to the freeway to begin with. You probably want to allow an hour if you are meeting someone and want to get there in time to unload your bike and prepare to ride.
Doh! My bad, you are right. I severly miscalculated the distance in my head. I should have looked at a map. 50 miles with traffic from the city will take about an hour just to get there.
I think that puts China Camp at about 30 minutes away then.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
total beginner trails....not marin headlands..

divs said:
i would concur on the china camp recommendation. it's great for riders of all categories. my guage on beginner trails is whether my wife likes it....she liked china camp (got scared in a couple of spots with steep dropoffs though) and i would also suggest the lake chabot loop or some parts around mt. tam at the lower elevations (twin lake loop or something like that). i ride in the headlands a lot and wouldn't recommend it for real beginners unless they are in decent enough shape to make the big climbs. also a couple of the trails are pretty rutted out and you need to be have decent control of your bike to make it through. amazing scenery though.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
STrackMike said:
Doh! My bad, you are right. I severly miscalculated the distance in my head. I should have looked at a map. 50 miles with traffic from the city will take about an hour just to get there.
I think that puts China Camp at about 30 minutes away then.
mike even i couldn't make it up there that quickly and i've been known to make pretty good time now and again....vvvvrrrrroooommmm!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.