Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf and I made the 20 hour drive down to St George - Utah. The plan was for us to hit up Gooseberry and other rides in this area for 3 or 4 days then move on to Moab for a week then hit FFTF later next week.

Mother nature it seems, has other plans.

It poured rain yesterday and will rain again this afternoon (and T-Storms coming in on Thur). Local bike shop guy said that the trails will need a couple of days to dry out before we can ride them.

Soo.... today we're going to go wander through Zion, but we're thinking we'll hit the road tomorrow for an area that will be more rideable under the current moist conditions. Any suggestions? Sedona is 7 hours away (which is a bit much after 20 already). Should we head to Moab early (if memory serves, some of the trails might be alright.

What other options don't we know about?

Thanks Folks!
 

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
Joined
·
855 Posts
From St George you're not too far from Las Vegas (about 2 hours). You could do Bootleg Canyon or Red Rock Canyon, let it dry out a bit and head back up to St George. Just a thought...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
824 Posts
contingency plans

A lesson hard learned that one should always have weather contingency plans. Try going South on I-15 for a couple of hours and ride near Lost Wages. Sandy trails are best after a storm and the Mojave is full of sandy trails. Seven hours to Fredona sounds like a drag and this weather system seems to have dumped there as well. Then again, you could go to mohab early and ride on sandstone.
 

·
Yummy
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Oh fer crap's sake. I'm planning to ride there on Saturday (leaving Vancouver BC Thursday). Looks like rain almost all week! I thought this wuz a damn desert!!

Kn.
 

·
Yummy
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Ever heard of a place called Moab?? Just down I 70 (east...go north on I 15 then east towards denver I 70)
Yes. I've been there twice, and this trip I'm going to Moab for 3 days and Fruita for 4 days. I really did want some icing to go with my cake, though.

Kn.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,257 Posts
J.D. said:
A lesson hard learned that one should always have weather contingency plans. Try going South on I-15 for a couple of hours and ride near Lost Wages. Sandy trails are best after a storm and the Mojave is full of sandy trails. Seven hours to Fredona sounds like a drag and this weather system seems to have dumped there as well. Then again, you could go to mohab early and ride on sandstone.
gotta love those hard-earned lessons. how ya been, JD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,092 Posts
SilverSpot said:
From St George you're not too far from Las Vegas (about 2 hours). You could do Bootleg Canyon or Red Rock Canyon, let it dry out a bit and head back up to St George. Just a thought...
Yep, Bootleg canyon is about 1.5 hours away (wrong direction though) and has a fairly rocky base so drains well.... plus it may not be raining down there. You might ask over on the Nevada board and the Vegas guys will give you the local conditions.

Most of St. George is unrideable after mod/heavy rain with the exception of Church Rock loop north of St. George (a short sand and slick rock loop) and Slick rock Swamp/Rockville Bench near Zion. Gooseberry is rideable after rain... but it may be hard to get up there. The road turns snotty when wet.

I'd feel bad for you, but it's snowing here and I'm not on my way to Fruita and Moab. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the afternoon wasn't a total bust - Zion was gorgeous. Especially in the nasty rainstorm that hit it this afternoon - people were pointing out all the waterfalls that normally don't exist - lucky us!!!

I'm bummed about Gooseberry, I really wanted to take my girlfriend there (I was blown away when I hit it 5-6? years back with knolly & co.). Anyone know if 1 day of sun is enough to dry out the access road? Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day and we could drive to vegas area for the day then try to get at G.M for the wednesday. Or we could screw it all and just hit Moab early, at least if we did that, we'd hook up with Penny and Dave.

Ken, we'll see you and the Ripper Queen on sunday when you get in. Weather is definately a little nuts right now, so Paula and me are going to scrap any camping plans we have (unless anyone wants to see the battle royale after a thunderstorm hits our tent overnight)

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - appreciate it.
t
 

·
L1MEY
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
The forecast for Vegas is decent until Thursday, when there's a 'chance' of showers (there was a chance of showers on Sunday too... I caught them on the drive to Blue Diamond, but by the time I got there it was dry). Bootleg is rideable in the wet even if it does rain. As of Sunday afternoon the trails in the Blue Diamond/Cottonwood area were dry and a lot of fun :)

- Jen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Well, if it was me, I wouldn't head towards Moab without taking Highways 12 and 24. Stunning road. And right near the start of Highway 12 you happen to go past Red Canyon, which just happens to have the Thunder Mountain trail, amongst others. Not ridden that in bad weather/rain though. I think it is sandy, but I'm probably wrong and it is probably bentonite clay or something. Worth checking. No, it can't be clayey with the hoodoos, can it.

Actually, I remember now. First time I rode there was the day after heavy rains, and it was dry. The trails on the north side of the road crossed lots of washes (and occasionally followed them), but apart from the rains making the trail harder to follow it was completey dry. Thunder Mtn shouldn't be any different.

I've also ridden Gooseberry the day after heavy rains and it was fine - the access road was wet in places but was driveable. It had had a good few hours of sun and heat by the time I tried it though.
 

·
Young, Shawn Young
Joined
·
3,165 Posts
My friends and I were at GB yesterday and today. I almost got stuck with my 4wd. That clay is bad business and there was so much rain I think it will take a few days of sun to make that road passable. Were talking deep, deep clay sand. We tried coming in from both sides to no avail.

We ended up riding Slick rock swamp trail which was awesome and hurricane rim trail for a total of 20 miles of great fun before heading home. Slick rock swamp is very similar to GB

Shawn
 

·
Yes, that's fonetic
Joined
·
3,893 Posts
Couch_Surfer said:
So my gf and I made the 20 hour drive down to St George - Utah. The plan was for us to hit up Gooseberry and other rides in this area for 3 or 4 days then move on to Moab for a week then hit FFTF later next week.

Mother nature it seems, has other plans.

It poured rain yesterday and will rain again this afternoon (and T-Storms coming in on Thur). Local bike shop guy said that the trails will need a couple of days to dry out before we can ride them.

Soo.... today we're going to go wander through Zion, but we're thinking we'll hit the road tomorrow for an area that will be more rideable under the current moist conditions. Any suggestions? Sedona is 7 hours away (which is a bit much after 20 already). Should we head to Moab early (if memory serves, some of the trails might be alright.

What other options don't we know about?

Thanks Folks!
Is it raining up in Brianhead?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Redmon said:
We ended up riding Slick rock swamp trail which was awesome and hurricane rim trail for a total of 20 miles of great fun before heading home. Slick rock swamp is very similar to GB

Shawn
We hit Hurricane Rim area today for a few hours. Had a blast - thanks for the idea! Am hoping the sun today will dry out some other options we had.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top