Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad is the rain for a bike? i.e driving through a rain storm with it on your roof or riding in the rain? What maintenance should get done to it when you get out of the rain?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
it ain't good

Goddy said:
How bad is the rain for a bike? i.e driving through a rain storm with it on your roof or riding in the rain? What maintenance should get done to it when you get out of the rain?
Water is never a good thing. Rusts steel parts, contaminates bearing grease. Driving 60 mph into rain is like squirting a hose at the bearings.
Other than the obvious places that need drying and relubing after such an encounter, here's something some folks forget to do:
Remove the seat post from the frame, and turn the frame upside down. You may be amazed by the quantity of water that pours out. I've ridden centuries in the rain and poured out literally a big water bottle full afterwards.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So..

bulC said:
Water is never a good thing. Rusts steel parts, contaminates bearing grease. Driving 60 mph into rain is like squirting a hose at the bearings.
Other than the obvious places that need drying and relubing after such an encounter, here's something some folks forget to do:
Remove the seat post from the frame, and turn the frame upside down. You may be amazed by the quantity of water that pours out. I've ridden centuries in the rain and poured out literally a big water bottle full afterwards.
are you saying if I can avoid driving in the rain with it on my car I should.

·
Nervous Descender
717 Posts
Goddy said:
I dunno- I think most of this stuff about rusted bearings is an old wives tale that is associated with the old bearings of yester-year which were not sealed nearly as well as our modern hubs, headsets, and bottom brackets. I wouldn't worry too much about driving in the rain- I have done it many times with no ill effects. I would remove your saddle, though, and lube your chain up really well.

I also have been known to (gasp!) pressure-wash my bike when its really dirty. Have never lost a a bearing yet due to rust.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Goddy said:
I've ridden with my bike standing in a rack in the back of my pickup in many a rain storm without ill effects.

As others may, or may not, have mentioned.......cover the seat. You can remove the post, but then you have to carefully cover the open seat tube on the bike. I haven't had any issues with water getting into the seat tube. I do, however, liberally grease my seatpost every few weeks. The grease seals out water. Also make sure that the chain is freshly lubed.

You can also buy covers that protect the shifters and headset areas of the bike.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I don't do it. If its a decent rain, I always stop and take it off the roof and chunk it insight my Explorer. Whatever it takes to get it/them in there. Driving windblown rain at 60-70 mph into the headset, hubs, drivetrain, etc is never a good thing. Just me tho.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Driving with your bike on the back of a pickup in the rain is not a problem. If you keep moving (60 mph) your bike will probably stay totally dry due to the aerodynamics of your truck.... When you stop, it will get wet, and you can follow the advice already given.

If you are "riding" in the rain, you should check with the local trail managers to see if there is a policy or recommendation about this. Some places it is OK, others it is really bad and can cause damage to the trail. It is a good idea to read up on the effects of riding wet trails so you can make an informed decision.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Driving in the rain with the bike ...

Goddy said:
It's probably the easiest way to get the bike **** and span clean. ;-)

Just dry the chain afterward and put some oil on it. Everything else on the bike should be resilient to water. If you have open bearings in your bottom bracket, replace them with a sealed cartridge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.