Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supposedly its predicted to rain all week here in san diego and am wondering what trails will be rideable without running the risk of damaging anything. I live over here in north county. I just got brand new wheels and have a new crankset on order and really wanna get out and ride!!! Any suggestions? I usually ride sycamore since its the closest to me but I know it will be out of commission for a long time if we get as much rain as predicted.

If not, i guess ill have to take out the road bike till weather clears up but Id much rather stay away from pavement. Heck, maybe it wont even rain, I only believe the weather forecasts about half the time anyways.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Typical So Cal, freaking out over rain. :D Who knows, use common sense. Watch out for flash flood areas. If a dry creek runs anywhere near, be extra vigilant. Heavy rains means your wheels will sink in and damage the trails. Light drizzle is not so bad.

·
Registered
196 Posts
well light drizzle already happened here in la mesa area. even if we get half the amount they say we will it's gonna be bad on the dirt/clay.
so pissed cause today i was supposed to go for a ride, but didn't make it out. now it's gonna be at least a week without mtn biking.
i'll be on my road bike as long as it's not raining
hope the trails dry out fast.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes rallyraid, I tend to freak out over rain!!! only when it comes to getting my mountain bike fix! haha. but Im not one of those idiots on the highway going 40mph causing traffic 10 miles back on the highways.

I remember last year after a few good rains, the local trails were pretty much out of commission for weeks. I really hate riding after everything dries up and have to constantly avoiding everyones 2ft deep tire tracks. Makes for an unpleasant/angry ride. Figured id be courteous and ask about some of the trails that hold rain well..but its not looking in my favor.

Light drizzle is fine for me, it only helps pack down the loose dirt and soaks right through for the most part, its the 5 inches they are predicting....ohhh well i guess ill have to get the road bike ready for the next couple weeks...

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
im going to try and ride lake hodges tomarrow rain or shine.
i love riding in the rain, i think if i had proper rain clothing i would do it more often.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
veloreality said:
im going to try and ride lake hodges tomarrow rain or shine.
i love riding in the rain, i think if i had proper rain clothing i would do it more often.
i was over at hodges today. it is one of my favorite places to ride, nothing too technical but it is always fun. looks like the maintenance crew worked on most of the south side... in my opinion it was well overdue but everything looked good

·
Banned
2,665 Posts
I haven't ridden enough during or right after storms to know where a good spot is. I have gone to trails that were closed when it's raining, or for a period after a storm (PQ Cyn, Mission Trails, Sycamore).

One of the worst trails conditions I've seen due to rain & riding was at Sweetwater, because of the horses that went out and made grenade holes all over the place.

On a side note, SDMBA did some trail work at La Costa (NASCAR) this past weekend. Part of it was to repair ruts. I wonder if that's going to all wash away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crystal Cove

Crystal Cove State Park Backcountry is closed for all public use. Hiking, biking equestrian. This includes all direct and in-direct access points into the park. Please call (949) 494-3539 if you need more information. Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
rallyraid said:
Typical So Cal, freaking out over rain. :D Who knows, use common sense. Watch out for flash flood areas. If a dry creek runs anywhere near, be extra vigilant. Heavy rains means your wheels will sink in and damage the trails. Light drizzle is not so bad.
Ya, because that's why he's freaking out. It couldn't be that our soil is different out here (mostly clay) and takes a while to dry out and that some trails do better in rain than others.

It just couldn't be that.:madman:

That being said, with the amount of rain we're supposed to get, everything might be shut down. Try Bill's after-rain trail guide: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog/?page_id=127

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Bill's guide is pretty good, but underestimates how long things stay wet in PQ. He's got a good rating for "light rain", but since that preserve is low on the water table and floods during medium to heavy rain, the scale changes radically with greater precipitation: 7-9 after an inch or two of rain and it can be much much longer if heavier rain comes through. As the rest of the county drains out, that runs through PQ, above and below the ground. The "below" part is why PQ doesn't dry out for quite a while: dig a hole after a storm and it will fill, like at the beach.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
why doesn't everyone put their bikes up for the week and grab a shovel and walk your favorite trail.....fix the blown out corner....fill in the ruts from the rain damage....make some better drainage off trails. Give back to what you ride all the time

·
Registered
196 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
why doesn't everyone put their bikes up for the week and grab a shovel and walk your favorite trail.....fix the blown out corner....fill in the ruts from the rain damage....make some better drainage off trails. Give back to what you ride all the time
gonna be longer than a week. it's supposed to rain all week. gonna take another week to dry out

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
micycle mike said:
gonna be longer than a week. it's supposed to rain all week. gonna take another week to dry out
ha, i think its gonna take a lot longer then a week to dry out...but im gonna try to stay optimistic!

·
Registered
196 Posts
just saw on the news
carlsbad has .98" of rain already
mission valley has .67"
pendleton is at 1.13" of rain
yeah i think it's gonna take longer than a week to dry out too.

edit:
check out ocean beach, i was checking the surf cam to see what the weather was like down in ob and saw this

·
No known cure
4,969 Posts
micycle mike said:
just saw on the news
carlsbad has .98" of rain already
mission valley has .67"
pendleton is at 1.13" of rain
yeah i think it's gonna take longer than a week to dry out too.
It sounds like you guys are just getting some drizzle:p We've had over six inches of rain today in the San Berdoo Mnts. Hopefully that turns to snow soon, but it's only 38* out right now.

·
Ride lots...
891 Posts
micycle mike said:
just saw on the news
.....pendleton is at 1.13" of rain.....
Interesting. I live just outside Pendleton and it doesn't seem like that much. Not disputing, just saying.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts