Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading out west next week barring unforseen circumstances. I see that the weather is showing scattered t-storms most every day this week and rain at about 60% chance percipitation next week.

Is this common and just the daily t-storm in the afternoon, or does it ever rain for a week in these locations where you do not see the sun, like NY this week.:mad:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
El_Scottamontes said:
I am heading out west next week barring unforseen circumstances. I see that the weather is showing scattered t-storms most every day this week and rain at about 60% chance percipitation next week.

Is this common and just the daily t-storm in the afternoon, or does it ever rain for a week in these locations where you do not see the sun, like NY this week.:mad:
I don't see 60% here this week, but even if it is true, it will be scattered thunderstorms starting at noon in the mountains, little later around town.
I live high up with 360 deg views, at 8:30 this morning I don't see a cloud in the sky.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
El_Scottamontes said:

I was in one of those scattered thunderstorms in Salida last week. It lasted from about 1:45 to 1:55. In the 95 degree heat, it was the best thing that could have happened.

With the fires up on La Veta pass, you should do a little dance of happiness every time a cloud rolls by.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
morning rain is rare

El_Scottamontes said:

We are praying for what is locally known as "the monsoon season", but even when we get that it's RARELY like the monsoons in asia (pissing rain day and night for months). Mornings almost always dawn clear, then little clouds form and become bigger clouds, then there's lightning and thunder starting around lunchtime up high, and the rain races on through and falls for a while. Usually less than an hour in any one place. The lightening is very dangerous--good to be off the really high (above treeline) stuff by 11am when possible.

Yesterday I rode out of Salida at 7:30 am and there was a cloud line at about 9000 feet. I was expecting to be turned back by weather, and had my rain jacket. I climbed up to the Monarch Crest, got there at the stroke of 11. Clouds had broken up during my climb, but were building again fast, and a chilly wind was blowing. I rode the length of the crest in record time, and nearly froze (got my hands and butt wet sliding down a snowdrift, and the chill wind hit my sweaty back). Got to Marshall Pass with a big cell (thunderstorm cloud) just east of me over Mt Ouray, thunder rumbling. I debated pulling the plug and taking the shortest route home, but it looked like I'd be heading right into the storm, so I stuck with plan A and went down Silver Creek. By the time I started riding the Rainbow a little after 1, it was pretty much looking like a normal day. Never had a drop of rain fall on me. That's the way it goes when I haul rain gear. When I leave it home I get soaked.

Enjoy your trip out here. Sounds like NY State is a good place to be away from for a while.

Edit: I just went out to take out trash and looked up towards Marshall Pass. It's 11:20 and there is a HUGE thunderhead up there. I didn't see any lightening, but you can bet that it's not safe up on the Crest right now. Today would have been a day to get lower by 9:30 or 10. For an east coaster, best advice is to not let our local time change your sleep patterns. Go to bed as early as you can stand and plan on riding at dawn (best part of the day in Rocky Mountain summertime). FYI.

·
Rocky Mountain High
234 Posts
El_Scottamontes said:

For the next 2 months it has a decent chance of thunderstorming every afternoon down here in the San Juans. Riding with a good rain jacket is standard for most of Colorado. The storms rarely stop you from riding for more than 30 minutes.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Heading for Durango tomorrow, from 5 days in Crested Butte!!! This afternoon is the first that we've gotten any rain here, in fact it's raining right now. Clear and big clouds off to the west, but rain right here at Mt. Crested Butte. Every afternoon, it looked like it could, but didn't. Road the classic "401" today and got a light rain on us at the end. Watching the weather on the news, sounds like afternoon storms are possable for the near future.

Just my 2 cents!

Enjoyed the heck out of CB, hope to have fun in Durango the next few days too!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all

I just wanted to make sure that monsoon seasons don't set in and ruin entire weeks. I go to the Adirondacks and we sometimes see rain until the drive home so you learn to drink and deal, but not worth a 25 hour drive!

My fiance and I are riding around town in Salida on the 2nd and 3rd to acclimate, sight see and visit Absolute Bikes for pointers. We then are doing the Monarch Crest shuttle 8AM on the 4th. Should be heading downhill by 11 AM. Depending on how we feel, we will get through Rainbow or maybe do that section on the 5th. Then, who knows what is next... stay, go, bike, kayak, Durango or other?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does rain all day sometimes! I had a great day in Salida area on the 4th to complete the Monarch Crest ride. Did not complete the Rainbow section as my fiance wasnot ffeling it. Great ride!! The next day we hiked and ruined a possible day of good biking as in the afternoon it started raining, we pulled up camp and got a room and then moved west as it was still raining the next morning. Moab was dry still and cooler than normal so we bagged slick rock then moved to Fruita where we rode the Kopakelli trails IN THE RAIN! So, there are worse things in July than rain and temps in the 80s to residents of Fruita. After completion of the Fruita ride, it started to rain hard so instead of camping and riding the 18 road stuff, we headed east towards Denver to possibly do Buffalo Creek but it kept raining and we ended up leaving for home. I will get some pics posted soon. Overall, not great weather but a great trip,

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
We had a similar situation in our CO trip. Didn't rain a whole lot in Crested Butte until our last day. Was beautiful, but up at Lake Irwin it started raining about 5:30 and didn't quit until about 7:30 the next morning. Packed up a wet campsite and stayed in hotels the rest of the trip (3 nights). Rained on us all morning on Saturday in Durango. We waited until about 9:30 after listening to the Tour de France TT to head out for a ride at the CO Trail/Dry Fork trailhead off of Junction Creek, and it rained most of the ride. Was completely gorgeous about a mile from returning to the trailhead and the rest of the afternoon/evening, but there was a pretty big thunderstorm that evening around 7:30 or so again. Rained a little Sunday morning, but we left town.

What a difference from returning to So Cal and 110 degree heat at 8 pm. No rain at all here. Can't tell which I prefer... 100 degrees and no rain at all for months, or 70 and rain off and on. :)

Next time I need to plan my trip for later in the summer or early fall :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It is unfortunate for you guys with the amount of rain we had over the past 10 days, but you just can apologize for rain in Colorado, at least SW Colorado.

Today was the first day without rain (so far) in many days, and the woods seem pretty happy with the moisture.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
sorry for the rain

El_Scottamontes said:
It does rain all day sometimes! I had a great day in Salida area on the 4th to complete the Monarch Crest ride. Did not complete the Rainbow section as my fiance wasnot ffeling it. Great ride!! The next day we hiked and ruined a possible day of good biking as in the afternoon it started raining, we pulled up camp and got a room ...
Scott,

It was great meeting you and Niki (now I can remember her name no problem, what's up with that?)

After telling you how rare it is for rain to happen in the morning in CO, it has to go and rain like southeast asia for the 2nd half of your trip. Dang. If it's any consolation, I got friggin' SOAKED at 7 am this past Saturday (the 8th) up near Monarch Pass. Our Crest ride got cancelled, then it kept raining until well after dark.

Here in Salida, things finally seem to be returning to normal. Still afternoon rains, but it looked like a ride on the Crest could have happened at noon today. It got nutty for a while just after the 4th. Moisture is good, but it started looking biblical there for a couple days...

It's not easy to say these days when is the safest month to come to CO. I used to always say either first half of July or any time in September. For the last 5 years, wet weather has come whenever. Usually when I predict it's going to be dry...

Hope you had a decent trip, in spite of the moisture. Come see us again.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
From July 1st to September, you can pretty much cut and paste our weather report. Mostly sunny, with afternoon clouds. 30% chance of afternoon showers.
I know, I know. It aint perfect, but if you bet on this forcast, for those months, you'll win money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Tom,
Great meeting you as well. I really meant to come back and grab a jersey from the shop and say hey again before leaving town. The bright side is that I did see the best of the best (most famous) ride in Salida before being forced to move west to see other stuff I had not seen.

Many regrets such as not riding Porcupine in Moab, rain keeping me from the Edge loop in Fruita and Buffalo Creek on the way home. Cold weather and rain keeping me from Crested Butte on the 6th and 7th. Hell, there were reports of heavy snow inthe area on the weather channell! And I violated my 1:1 ratio of drive to ride time due to weather and my riding partner just not having the capacity for back to back epics.

At least I have a reason to return;-) How is the job market in Salida, Gunnison and Buena Vista for accountants?

Totals:
Driving - 5100 miles (about 100 hours)
Riding - 70 miles (about 18 hours)
Hiking - 9 miles (6.5 hours of hell)

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
really?

Anonymous said:
From July 1st to September, you can pretty much cut and paste our weather report. Mostly sunny, with afternoon clouds. 30% chance of afternoon showers.
I know, I know. It aint perfect, but if you bet on this forcast, for those months, you'll win money.
Uh, you wouldn't have won money last week. At least not in Salida...

That's the picture I painted for ElScott when he was planning his trip, but then he showed up and had several days of rain from dawn to dusk.

Thanks for explaining CO to me though. That's neat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.